Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #1

Tennessee Trip Ideas

My DW and I are in the early stages of planning a potential trip to TN next summer after our daughters are out of school. We're looking at a trip of about 10 days from South TX. Any suggestions on where we should go and what we should see? And suggestions on places to stay? As a family trip, we're looking for things that will be entertaining for the whole family including two 12 year old daughters and a 3 year old son.

As always, thanks for all of the feedback!
Old 11-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #2

I don't have kids just Jake (the lab) so take this with a grain of salt, but I would think a good way to go would be give the kids the project of over the winter to research the route and see what they want to see. The forums take (older folks) and your children's take on what might be fun to see or do can differ. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #3

Well seeing you have the kids you can start at Pigeon Forge where you will find Dolly World. Just a few miles down the road, 5 or 6 is Gatlinburg. Neat town with a great chair lift ride up a mountain side offering incredible views. Just outside of Gatlinburg is Smokey Mountain National Park. Great, great hiking trails and things to see and do at the park. The Smokey Mountains and area is beautiful. Many many great campgrounds around Pigeon Forge too. Scroll down on this thread and you'll come across a lot of suggestions of the best places.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #4

TN

We are planning a trip to TN this summer also. We are staying at Anchor's Down RV resort. Not to far from Gatlinburg area. I also have teenagers. I have never been to this resort but my friend raves about it.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
Broken Toe

Gatlinburg, most definitely. Spend the day in Smoky mt. National Park. Go to Cade's Cove. Spend a nice day strolling down the main drag in g-burg. Pigeon Forge is like an big amusment part (think "Branson MO" if you ever been there). Lots of go-kart tracks and mini-golf and stuff like that. Way 'touristy' but still a lot of fun.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #6

X2 Anchors Down!

Only wish it was closer to the NP....

Premium sites have outdoor fireplace and stamped concrete pads. One thing to remember - they require wood or rubber/plastic pads under stablizers and jacks there.

We hit Nashville and Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg as two of the stops on our road trip this past August. (OH,KY,TN,WV,VA - 2900mi - 2 1/2 weeks) LMK if there is any info I can share...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5022.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	447.2 KB
ID:	156947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5054.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	156948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4261.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	156950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4741.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	156951  

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:20 AM   #7

Fall Creek Falls is a nice state park. We have been several times with our kids and grandkids of various ages. Shady sites, Falls to swim under, and George Hole to swim in. They also have a pool and lake for fishing. Cade’s Cove is another must. There are hikes and many historic home sites and churches. Usually see bears. You spend time in the car, which might be boring to the 3 year old. Dolly Wood in Pigeon Forge. Chattanooga is a fun city with a very nice aquarium. Nashville is also a fun place to visit.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #8

Think also about a day trip to the Chattanooga area. I think the aquarium is really nice. Also you have many attractions on Lookout Mt. You may also want to go over to Raccoon Mt as well. The kids might well enjoy heading a little south and hitting Stone Mt. Bottom line, you can't run out of things to do in that area during a trip.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #9

Check out Duvall Campground in Sevierville, TN. Back roads to things on strip in Pigeon Forge, quiet, large sites, some on river, paved, good rates. Just opened about 2 months ago. Really worth the look see.
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #10

Fall Creek Falls State Park, hiking, swimming, fishing, golfing, the big falls, lake. Check it out.
dryhorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #11

A lot to see in TN. If u decide the Gatlinburg area then also hit Cherokee along with goats town in the sky, Dolly Wood and other sites in the same area.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:17 AM   #12

I too have been looking for a TN trip. Checked out Anchors Down as suggested, but I was looking for something closer to Nashville. I would like to visit the Grand Ole Orpy.

Any comments on Two Rivers?
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #13

If you end up at or near Gatlinburg as your home base, you can do a day trip to Biltmore Estate. It is amazing. 3 yr old won't appreciate it but will still see enough to be entertained.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #14

Imagination Mountain is just east of Gatlinburg, near Cosby on route 321. It borders the park and is a quiet beautiful park. Very family friendly and the owners, the Landry Family, live on site and are great. Been going there for 20 years. Almost all sites are streamside with full hookups.

Imagination Mountain Gatlinburg Campground and Resort
2020 Ram 3500 Dually with HD Cummins TD
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #15

Nashville Shores is a great RV Resort also. On the lake, big swimming pool, amusement park, kayak and pontoon rentals, plus ride the shuttle into town. We attended a Frog Rally there once.
We also spent time at the KOA on Music Valley Dr. next door to Two Rivers.
Grand Ole Opry Hotel is acres of pools, waterfalls, gardens, atriums, restaurants, shops, etc. Great place to spend a rainy day.
Memphis has Graceland, Outdoor World in the HUGE glass pyramid on the Mighty Mississippi River, museums and BBQ!
The Chattanooga RV campground at Harrison Bay State Park is one of our favorites, again camp on the lakeshore.
Did I mention BBQ? Tennessee has lots of it!
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
I too have been looking for a TN trip. Checked out Anchors Down as suggested, but I was looking for something closer to Nashville. I would like to visit the Grand Ole Orpy.

We used Seven Points Campground as a home base while in Nashville. It is a COE Park right on the lake... we stayed on site 31... huge site, waterfront, awesome views... it is W/E with the usual bathhouse and dumping station... boat launch and small beach for swimming....

Took us about 20 min to get to the grand ole opry from there... krogers a few miles away...

It is still early, you might be able to book a waterfront site for next season... IIRC it is less than $30 a night...

Can send some pics or more info if needed...
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbobcat View Post
We used Seven Points Campground as a home base while in Nashville. It is a COE Park right on the lake... we stayed on site 31... huge site, waterfront, awesome views... it is W/E with the usual bathhouse and dumping station... boat launch and small beach for swimming....

Took us about 20 min to get to the grand ole opry from there... krogers a few miles away...

It is still early, you might be able to book a waterfront site for next season... IIRC it is less than $30 a night...

Can send some pics or more info if needed...
Thanks. Will check it out.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post

We stay at Two Rivers Campground any time we go to or through Nashville. Just about 1 mile to the (new) Grand Old Opry. Big Bass Pro shop right there in the mall. Take a walk through Opryland Hotel...it is something to see. General Jackson excursion boat on the Cumberland River is located right behind the parking lot for the mall / Bass Pro. Great restaurant called "Cock of the Walk" almost right next door to Two Rivers (OK, Camping World is in between the campground and the restaurant...darn the luck.) The original Opry, in the Ryman Auditorium is about a 20 minute drive away, but the campground is also a stop for a shuttle that runs to downtown Nashville.

You'll like Two Rivers Campground.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #19

If your are coming up from Texas, I 40 across Ark. is the usual route. Check out the Crater of Diamonds State Park before you get to Little Rock. Only place in the US you can hunt and keep diamonds. Memphis is likely the first place the girls will want to stop. Lots of great BBQ there, also Graceland, and a RV park across the street from the ticket office. North of there about 60-80 miles is Reelfoot lake , the only natural lake in TN. Also there is Dixie Gun Works, a black power persons dreamland at Union City. Nashville is great, many Corps of Engineers campgrounds on the lakes around Nashville reserve EARLY, a couple of hours east of Nashville is Fall Creek Falls and Rock Island State Parks, good campgrounds, again reserve early. Lots of hiking, swimming, great mountain scenery, waterfalls, that sort of stuff.
Send me a PM if interested and I can expand on the western two/thirds of Tennessee. Other folks have covered the east pretty good.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #20

We stayed a week at Pigeon Forge during 'Springbreak' and there is a lot to do (Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg area / Smokie Mountains ). We stayed at Pine Mountain p-Park Campground. The Campground is two blocks off the main drag at Pigeon Forge.... But.... you never would know that you are 'in town' as a huge berm/ridge is between the campground and the next block closer to the main drag. There is a 'mountain creek' that ran briskly all of the time. Make reservations to get a spot along the creek. Makes the perfect base camp place and really relaxing when you are done for the day. Across the street (same side of ridge) there is a hotel that owns the campground and the campground campers have full usage of the hotel pool. We had a great time 'exploring' and will go back some time. While in the area, do the 'Cades Cove' loop at the Smokie Mountains National Park, out side of Gatlinburg.

Pine Mountain RV Park by the Creek

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote