Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #1

The Ark Experience in Kentucky

We're planning a trip to the Ark Experience in Kentucky and would love some recommendations for a campground to stay at. We're middle aged with our little doggie and prefer somewhere quite and maybe a waterfront view. We'll be sightseeing all over the area so don't mind if it's a little distant from the ark. Thanks in advance.
gagirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #2

You could look at one of the KY State Parks nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
travelwithkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
meg

We are staying at a Hamilton county park called Winton Woods. Has gotten great reviews and has full hook ups.
meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #4

I second KY state parks. Most are very well kept and have a variety of activities.

Personally, Winton Woods is pretty far away,
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:35 PM   #5

I live in KY. Having said that, there are not very many campgrounds in the area immediately around Williamstown, KY. However, within 60 to 90 minutes drive, you can find sites at Kentucky Horse Park, just north of Lexington, KY and north and west there is Big Bone Lick SP and General Butler SP. The later two parks are near the Ohio River, though not within eyesight of the campgrounds.

There are places to visit on both sides of the river in and around Cincinnati, including the World Peace Bell in Newport, the Newport Aquarium and Newport on the Levy shops and restaurants. And do treat yourself to an afternoon on the newly renovated Smale Riverside park on the Cincinnati side. It extends about 7 miles and has bike rentals and lots of fun activities for adults and children of all ages, including water features. There is no charge except for parking. If your feeling like an adventure, take a supervised Segway tour from CIncinnati Bike Center... can often find Groupon discounts, but MUST be reserved in advance.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/cincin...est_ms=1023626

Smale Riverfront Park - (513) 352-6180 - Cincinnati Parks

Lexington is also a great place to visit. Lex is very close to several of central Kentucky's distillery tours, starting with Towne Branch in downtown, then Buffalo Trace near Frankfort, and Woodford Reserve near Versailles, both close to Lexington. The later two tours are on very beautiful grounds.

If during horse racing season, get a $5 admission to Keeneland Race course, second only to Churchill Downs in Louisville, but much more scenic.

There is also the private Elkhorn Campground, near Frankfort... have not been there for 25 years, but as I recall it is real close to the river.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:02 PM   #6

I second rsdata on Lexington and nice parks in the area. It is only about 45 miles from The Arc Encounter and could set you up for another experience, if you're interested....

My DW and I stayed in Elizabethtown last year and did the distillery tours rsdata spoke of in Lexington. If you have the time and if you like bourbon you may want to take a 4-5 days and do the Bourbon Trail

Kentucky Bourbon Trail - Where the Spirit Leads You

Lexington it one of the hubs of the bourbon triangle (Lexington, Louisville, Elizabethtown) where many of the leading bourbon distillers are located. Kentucky distills 95% of all the bourbon in the world. Of course any whiskey called bourbon can only be produced in the U.S. All bourbon is whiskey but all whiskey is not bourbon We really enjoyed our trip. Check it out...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #7

WOW! Great information. This is why I love this forum. We are planning at least a week in the area, so will definitely check out as many places as we possibly can and I know DH would love the Bourbon Trail...haha.
gagirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #8

I've only stayed in one state park in KY- Nolan Lake- and it was very nice and well kept. If they're all like it, you can't go wrong.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote