Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #61

so i was looking into getting the white house tour - looks like it needs to be set up through a congressman? any tips for a Canadian trying to get on the tour?

wed really like to do the FBI building and the white house minimum.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #62
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselhp View Post
We are heading to Cherry Hill in mid April.
We have a MDT can anyone tell me if there is room to park it at the local Metro station to the park?
It is about 10’ feet high.
Thanks!
We will be at Cherry Hill April 15 until at least the 21st. We are visiting our daughter. Be sure to stop by and say hi. We are at site 43, a Windjammer. And we have our pick up truck if you need us to give you a ride to the Metro some day.
MCTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #63
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post
so i was looking into getting the white house tour - looks like it needs to be set up through a congressman? any tips for a Canadian trying to get on the tour?

wed really like to do the FBI building and the white house minimum.
A few years ago our daughter was assistance press secretary. She said it was very hard to get White House tours even through a congressman. And it can take several months in advance. Due to heightened security the is a limited number of tours available.

Fortunately, we had a private tour since she had a pass. Very interesting.
MCTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #64

We would like to visit DC and stay at Cherry Hill too. We pull a 42 foot 5er with a Volvo power unit. Can we fit at the park and is early September a good time to visit? Or is it too late to try and get reservations for this rv park??

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #65

Theo

When I was in the USAF I support many missions with the SR-71 Blackbird.
I can tell you storied about the missions but would have to kill you right after. LOL
Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
We would like to visit DC and stay at Cherry Hill too. We pull a 42 foot 5er with a Volvo power unit. Can we fit at the park and is early September a good time to visit? Or is it too late to try and get reservations for this rv park??

Dave
I'm sure you can. Call them and ask.
301-937-7116
We will be there Sept 17 -21
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:52 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
A few years ago our daughter was assistance press secretary. She said it was very hard to get White House tours even through a congressman. And it can take several months in advance. Due to heightened security the is a limited number of tours available.

Fortunately, we had a private tour since she had a pass. Very interesting.
ok thanks,
Old 03-10-2019, 10:10 PM   #68

Day and Night

Although I have not read every reply, you are getting very good advice. I worked in DC for 35 years. Metrorail is great! Use it.

Nearly all the Smithsonian museums and many of the best monuments are clustered around the National Mall (between the Lincoln Mem and the US Capitol), so they are all walking distance.

One thing to help you plan you time to the max, the monuments on the Mall are open till midnight and patrolled by the Nat Park Svc Police (plus there are about 15 other law enforcement organizations all buzzing around there much of the time) so it is VERY safe at night. I urge visitors to visit museums or buildings during the day, and after dinner, see the monuments at night when they are all lit up. They are even more impressive at night!

If there is a line to go up the Washington Monument, you might check at the Old Post Office Pavilion (where the Trump Hotel now is). There is a clock tower there and the Park service used to let visitors go up. The line was nearly non-existent and the view is nearly as good. Entrance was mid-block on 12th St NW between Constitution and Pennsylvania Avenues.

All the Smithsonians are free to the public. Other places you might consider are Ford's Theater, The Holocaust Museum, Bureau of Engraving & Printing, The Spy Museum, The Newseum, the Museum of Crime & Punishment. I'm pretty sure they all charge an entrance fee.

With more time to burn, Georgetown is cool with all kinds of little shops, and the NPS runs a barge on the C&O Canal right in downtown Georgetown (Wisconsin Ave & M St NW). Also, right across the Potomac is Old Town Alexandria, more cute boutiques, etc.

Grab a bite for lunch and sit in a park. I like Lafayette Park (@ White House on 16th & Penn Ave), Pershing Park (15th & Penn NW), US Navy Memorial (@ Archives Metro, 7th & Penn NW), and nearly anywhere on The Mall.

The tour of the Pentagon is interesting, there is a 9/11 Memorial there, and you can see the Air Force Memorial from there as well.

I could go on & on (like I already have) but I will shut up. Go enjoy your visit.
2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS 5th
FreeWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #69

A couple have said the Air & Space in DC is small compared to the Udvar-Hazy in Reston, but I think it will almost suck up an entire day for just the museum in DC. The downtown Air & Space is the most visited museum in the world (at least it was a few years ago). There's a good reason for that... It's awesome! Don't skip it.
2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS 5th
FreeWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post

Dave
You will have no problem fitting but make your reservations as soon as possible.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:27 AM   #71

Not sure if the holicost museum was mentioned but it's worth the time. We also enjoyed mt Vernon along with many of the other things suggested.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #72
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Theo

When I was in the USAF I support many missions with the SR-71 Blackbird.
I can tell you storied about the missions but would have to kill you right after. LOL
Thanks
LOL! I grew up in a family where my Dad couldn't talk about work so I'm used to operating in that environment!

FreeWheeler is right, IMHO. You can spend a day at the A&S downtown and still want to go back. However, if you can get to Chantilly, VA to see Udvar-Hazy in addition to downtown, the trip will be well worth it. The last time I went to UH, I glommed onto a docent with a small group of 4-6 folks and got the most incredible in-depth tour. Of course, I'm a pilot and have always been fascinated with aircraft and the technology of aviation.

What ever you see, I'm sure it will be memorable!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #73

We have been to DC 7 times always staying at Cherry Hill. forget the driving. the city bus stops in the campground and will take you to the subway which will take you anywhere you want to go in DC. You mentioned Air and space museum, get on at the campground and get off at the Smithsonian subway stop. When you board the buss, ask for a subway pass at no extra charge. If you have time to drive, go to The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, also called the Udvar-Hazy Center, which is the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum's annex at Washington Dulles International Airport in the Chantilly area of Fairfax County. They have a few things like the space shuttle discovery, the Enola Gay, an SR-71, an SST, plus HUNDREDS more planes. You will spend a full day there. We are going back in 3 weeks.
MentallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #74
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentallyRetired View Post
{snip}...If you have time to drive, go to The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, also called the Udvar-Hazy Center...{snip}
See post #59.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washington