Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 07:32 AM   #1

Thornbush acres RV park - NY

Heading to the Adirondacks in July and looking to try out Thornbush Acres . Not many full hook up campgrounds in this area.
Looking for good and bad comments on camping, roads, kayaking in this area of Indian Lake.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
Canoeing and camping fun

What type of kayaking? DH and I dry camp in the Adirondacks a couple of times a year. Stay at Lake Durant at least once a season west of Indian Lake. Adirondack Paddling by Phil Brown is a good reference book if looking for flat water paddling. Another good reference is Adirondack Paddler's Guide by Dave Cilley. We each paddle Swift solo canoes very lightweight and easy to portage through the woods.
Some great trout fishing in the area in the streams and some of the ponds.
Jean D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

We mostly flat water kayak. Our Yorker poo Kayaks with us all the time. We have done a few small streams in the past .
We are taking the Kayaks and our Suzuki boulevards to tour around the area.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
Canoeing and camping fun

You won't be that far from Lake Durant so put in to paddle there. You also might want to try the Cedar River Flow going west out of Indian Lake on route 28 you will see a cemetery on your left (watch out for radar traps) turn left and go down till the road dead ends at the start of the Flow (maybe 12 miles dirt road part way in) the black flies are nasty sometimes. Part way down the road on the right you might see a sign for a pond it is an easy walk and a nice paddle have seen loons and beaver on this pond. If the sign says it's a three mile walk someone has defaced it the walk is three tenths of a mile.
Please take pictures of the park you stay at and post a review.
We have always stayed at DEC campgrounds in the Adirondacks so no hook ups. Some of the state parks have water and electric (sorry if you knew this already my hubby said to include).
Jean D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean D View Post
You won't be that far from Lake Durant so put in to paddle there. You also might want to try the Cedar River Flow going west out of Indian Lake on route 28 you will see a cemetery on your left (watch out for radar traps) turn left and go down till the road dead ends at the start of the Flow (maybe 12 miles dirt road part way in) the black flies are nasty sometimes. Part way down the road on the right you might see a sign for a pond it is an easy walk and a nice paddle have seen loons and beaver on this pond. If the sign says it's a three mile walk someone has defaced it the walk is three tenths of a mile.

Please take pictures of the park you stay at and post a review.

We have always stayed at DEC campgrounds in the Adirondacks so no hook ups. Some of the state parks have water and electric (sorry if you knew this already my hubby said to include).

Thanks for the info on the kayaking locations! This is great information- Thank You .We normally stay at State and National parks if we fit. We wanted electric for air since it would be July. Will post pics and information on campground after are trip.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:21 PM   #6

We camp the Adirondacks several times a year and kayak as well. Usually no hookups but really no need for them as we are very adept at boondocking. To us the ADKs are heaven on Earth and AC is really not needed. I suggest you explore as much of this unique park as you can. You will never see another like it. 6 million acres to roam in..ADKDAN
Old 04-01-2017, 05:25 AM   #7

This will be are 3rd time in the Adirondacks. This will be the first time we bring the Kayaks.
We can handle boon-docking , but we normally do this in state and national parks which have very limited sites that can handle a 38' 5th wheel.
We will be check out other campgrounds while we're in the area for future trips. Any recommendations would be helpful.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #8

I would recommend fish Creek pond by saranac lake. Almost all sites are on the water and they have about three hundred. Many can handle forty foot campers like yours. Use the campsite photo data base put out by myself and you can preview pics. There is also a web site that is quite good. Lots of kayaking opportunity right at the campsite you choose. We usually pick sites 146 or 147 with views of whiteface mountain.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:18 AM   #9

Data base is put out by New York State not myself lol
Old 04-01-2017, 06:20 AM   #10

I'll check it out, thanks for information.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #11

Just wanted to share a update from my trip.
We decided to keep our reservations at Thornbush acres. The campground was very nice small and quite. With 15-20 electric & water only sites and 5-8 full hook up sites.
The owners is very friendly and helpful. They hope to expand the park in the next few years.
This campground was a great spot for all our motorcycle and Kayaking activities with full hook ups.
We kayaked at Adirondack lake which was just in town.
All electric is metered so you only pay what you use.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	144113Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	548.2 KB
ID:	144114Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0384.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	144115
Old 07-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #12

Also I wanted to add if you drive a diesel truck , be very careful, diesel stations are 22 mile or more away from this area. GasBuddy information is wrong, we learned some stations stopped selling diesel. We end up driving a hour to get fuel one day.
Next trip I'll be bringing a 5 gallon container.