Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #1

Thoughts on my planned PA to FL trip

Hey folks, looking for feedback again.

Planning a trip over the kid's spring break in March.

Thoughts on this itinerary:

Leave Elkton MD on a Sat, 4.5hr drive to Roanoke Rapids, NC to stay at campground named The RV Resort.

Leave next morning for another 4.5hr drive to SC to visit mother in law, parking RV in her driveway for 3 nights.

Leave early after stay for 6.5hr drive to Orlando, FL, Whippoorwill KOA.

Spend next two full days visiting the Harry Potter park at Universal. 30min drive each way from campground.

Leave the next day and travel 1hr to New Smyrna, FL, Riverwood RV Park on the water, for three nights.

Spend first full day there with family, spend second full day there at Kennedy Space center, 45min drive south.

Leave early the next day and travel 3.5 hrs to Creekfire RV park near Savannah, GA. Spend afternoon and dinner in Savannah.

Leave early next day for 5.5hr drive to Raleigh Oaks RV Resort near Raleigh, NC.

Leave early next day for the last 5.5hr leg home, maybe break it up into two legs if we are getting road weary.

2 adults and 1 kid in a 1 ton crew cab, basically 13-14 day trip and about 2400 miles...
Toddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #2
Always Learning

Sounds like a good plan! Looks like you are planning in down/family days.

Do you have Florida reservations already? Winter can be hard to get.

For Orlando, Bill Frederick at Turkey Lake might be closer (I think).

Take lots of pics and turn this bad boy into a trip report when you do it!
Old 12-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #3

I'd cancel the three days with mother in law. Then again, I've been married three times ;-)

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

You’re gonna love the RV Resort at Roanoke Rapids....a 5 star spot. Beautiful spot, sites, pool, hot tub. Wide open for star gazing or satellite reception.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #5

Cool, thanks. Was considering Bill Frederick, but I was able to score a lakeside premium site at the KOA, and online reviews of Bill Frederick warn about smaller sites (I have a 42' fifth wheel). We're only there for three nights, so I figure I'll trade a site with a view for a few minute longer commute to Universal.

Other sites are booked, and I agree it was tough to get them. All the places in New Smyrna were booked up, and Riverwood doesn't have many reviews, but was my only option. 30amp site, so praying it doesn't get too hot. Think by end of March the snowbirds haven't left yet and spring breakers are coming in.

Mother in law: plan is for me to spend some quality time in the trailer while the wife and kid live in her guest room. I have an escape plan.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddavid View Post
Hey folks, looking for feedback again.

Planning a trip over the kid's spring break in March.

Thoughts on this itinerary:

Leave Elkton MD on a Sat, 4.5hr drive to Roanoke Rapids, NC to stay at campground named The RV Resort.

Leave next morning for another 4.5hr drive to SC to visit mother in law, parking RV in her driveway for 3 nights.

Leave early after stay for 6.5hr drive to Orlando, FL, Whippoorwill KOA.

Spend next two full days visiting the Harry Potter park at Universal. 30min drive each way from campground.

Leave the next day and travel 1hr to New Smyrna, FL, Riverwood RV Park on the water, for three nights.

Spend first full day there with family, spend second full day there at Kennedy Space center, 45min drive south.

Leave early the next day and travel 3.5 hrs to Creekfire RV park near Savannah, GA. Spend afternoon and dinner in Savannah.

Leave early next day for 5.5hr drive to Raleigh Oaks RV Resort near Raleigh, NC.

Leave early next day for the last 5.5hr leg home, maybe break it up into two legs if we are getting road weary.

2 adults and 1 kid in a 1 ton crew cab, basically 13-14 day trip and about 2400 miles...
We'll be at Whippoorwill KOA from mid-March until mid-April, site B-6 probably. See you there?
Old 12-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalFrog2 View Post
We'll be at Whippoorwill KOA from mid-March until mid-April, site B-6 probably. See you there?
Most likely so. How do you already know what site you'll be in? Ours hasn't been assigned as per our emailed reservation.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #8

I'd much rather go to Camden NJ
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddavid View Post
Most likely so. How do you already know what site you'll be in? Ours hasn't been assigned as per our emailed reservation.
Because we are booked for a month they have assigned a site. But they also said it might change. If someone requests that particular site for more than a month we could be assigned a "comparable" site. We stay at this KOA twice each year.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
I'd much rather go to Camden NJ
At least gas prices are lower in Camden.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:21 PM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
At least gas prices are lower in Camden.
Last time we went to Camden our gas was cheaper than theirs out here in the country

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Last time we went to Camden our gas was cheaper than theirs out here in the country
There are a few stations along the Rt. 130 corridor that have had much lower gas prices for many decades. I don’t travel over there much anymore but I always fill up if I can.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #13

Itinerary

Why not build in a little extra time and show the family a bit more of the real Florida close by after visiting the phony stuff at the "attractions".... Head over to Sanford, charter a boat and explore a bit of the St. John's River...check out Blue Springs SP and view some Manatees...drive out to St. Pete and visit Fort DeSoto Park, rent a kayak and paddle around the lagoon, or take the parks ferry out to Egmont Key and experience history and an incredible view of the Gulf and Tampa Bay...the beauty of Floridas natural world is what you'll remember and cherish long after the plastic theme park segment of your trip has faded away. Trust me on this.:
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #14

I agree with slipf18, but I would suggest going to Ginnie Springs Outdoor Center outside of High Springs, FL. about 25 miles NW of Gainsville at exit#399. The campground is on the Santa Fe river and has 7 springs in the campground, clean bathhouses with hot water and a wonderful staff. If you can go without W & E you can get a site right on the river. If not, they have sites with W & E a little bit off the river up near the country store/office/café.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #15

Thanks for the suggestions. If we weren't limited by the kid's spring break schedule, and the plan to spend some time with family along the way, I'd follow your recommendations.

For what it's worth, we've never done Disney or any other theme park, and the kid really, really wants to do the Harry Potter experience, very tough to say no when she's only 10.

And my wife also has family in St. Augustine, so we've been there and many "real Florida" places in that area many times over the years, especially visiting them by her Uncle's boat along the Intercoastal.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #16

Looks like a well planned trip. Driving is spaced out well, not too much time behind the wheel. Really sounds great. Enjoy the journey.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #17

Sounds like a great trip. We like Disney but everyone is different. We are planning a ten day trip to the Fort in September, we will have a one night stopover. I have driven to Disney in one day but I have to leave at five in the morning
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote