Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #1

Tires

Finally arrived in the FL Keys, but 5 hours late! Why? Well ,2 total explosion blowouts on Towmaster Power King "China Bombs" and a third slow leak that had to be pumped up 5 times as I only carry two spares. One spare was a CB and the other American made. Tomorrow is Christmas Day, but Friday I go hunting for 5 new "American made" tires. Wish I had pictures of the two blow outs and the damage they did to my Wright Flyer. My guess is around $2,000 of sheet metal, severed propane line and wiring harness ripped apart. We are stone cold lucky to be alive. These are the tires that came on my FR Flyer!!!!
Wish you all a Merry Christmas.
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Always Learning

Yowsa! Where in the Keys are you staying?
Old 12-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
WFD

Ouch!!!! Is this a new trailer? If not, how old are the tires and how many miles were on them? What pressure were you running in them?
Old 12-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Finally arrived in the FL Keys, but 5 hours late! Why? Well ,2 total explosion blowouts on Towmaster Power King "China Bombs" and a third slow leak that had to be pumped up 5 times as I only carry two spares. One spare was a CB and the other American made. Tomorrow is Christmas Day, but Friday I go hunting for 5 new "American made" tires. Wish I had pictures of the two blow outs and the damage they did to my Wright Flyer. My guess is around $2,000 of sheet metal, severed propane line and wiring harness ripped apart. We are stone cold lucky to be alive. These are the tires that came on my FR Flyer!!!!
Wish you all a Merry Christmas.
Now wait a minute,You have the (TST 507 TPMS) on your unit! You stated that after seeing the Damage on other units from Tires that you wouldn't leave home without your (TST 507 System),What happened? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Now wait a minute,You have the (TST 507 TPMS) on your unit! You stated that after seeing the Damage on other units from Tires that you wouldn't leave home without your (TST 507 System),What happened? Youroo!!
Maybe there is more to this story???
Old 12-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #6

Yes, I have the TST 507 monitor. It doesn't matter what unit you have if the monitor shows all tires are with in parameters and they suddenly explode. Presures were OK and temps were good and BOOM! Twice!! Within 300 miles! I'm to understand there is a recall on the TowMax tires and looking into it. The third was caught in time and used my compressor several times to get us to the RV park. Don't have time to wait for a shipment fom Ohio, AZ or TX where the proper replacement tire are. Going shopping tomorrow for at least 4 new American made units. TowMax is garbage! Never again!
Old 12-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
Always Learning

Tires

Quote:
Yes, I have the TST 507 monitor. It doesn't matter what unit you have if the monitor shows all tires are with in parameters and they suddenly explode. Presures were OK and temps were good and BOOM! Twice!! Within 300 miles! I'm to understand there is a recall on the TowMax tires and looking into it. The third was caught in time and used my compressor several times to get us to the RV park. Don't have time to wait for a shipment fom Ohio, AZ or TX where the proper replacement tire are. Going shopping tomorrow for at least 4 new American made units. TowMax is garbage! Never again!

You won't find an American made ST tire.

For LT tires, you can find American made. I'm likely wrong but I feel like many people talk about changing wheels entirely to make the switch from ST tires to LT tires happen (often times, LTs in the same size as STs have a lower carrying capacity so people go to the next bigger size).
Old 12-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
campr-pete

Tire blowouts

I feel your pain I had the same issue with goodyear tires in 2010. I to was headed to fl.( lost three after I was in fl.) rode from delaware to fl. with no issues. One ripped my sewer pipes and sheet metal over the tire off, surprisingly goodyear stood good for it. I figured my weight loaded and the heat from the road contributed to the problem, I had D rated tires on I went to E ,I believe they held 80psi instead of 50psi they ran cool and no more issues ended up replacing all 4 and the spare. Goodyear stated that the tires should have held, they also commented that they had others report with the same issues. The manufacturers are within specs of the tires but with all the issues that has happened seems they would at least go to a higher weight rated tire.
campr-pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #9

I feel your pain; I have lost two tires on I-95 in FL. If staying with ST tires, I would go with Maxxis, if you can find them. The best I could find were Carlisle’s. LT’s are better yet. All ST tires are Chinese including Goodyear. Maxxis are made in Taiwan, but are of significantly better quality. Ask to see them, compare the thickness on the sidewalls between the Maxxis and whatever else they are trying to sell you. Remember to check manufacture dates, should be not more than a year old as they will age out in 4 to 5 years regardless of usage.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #10

Quote:
I found this googling TowMax

NHTSA issues tire recall for Towmax tires - Fox 28: South Bend, Elkhart IN News, Weather, Sports

Dynamic Tire Corp. (Dynamic) is recalling certain Towmax STR tires, size ST225/75 R15 manufactured June 15, 2014, to October 14, 2014. The affected tires may have the Incorrect Load Capacity and Inflation Pressure Stampings. Thus, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 119, "New Pneumatic Tires for Vehicles Other Than Passenger Cars." The misinformation on the label could lead a driver to over inflate the tires. Tire over inflation may increase the risk of a tire failure which can increase the risk of a crash. Dynamic will notify owners, and dealers will replace all eligible tires, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin December 10, 2014. Owners may contact Dynamic customer service at 1-905-595-3593.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
I feel your pain; I have lost two tires on I-95 in FL. If staying with ST tires, I would go with Maxxis, if you can find them. The best I could find were Carlisle’s. LT’s are better yet. All ST tires are Chinese including Goodyear. Maxxis are made in Taiwan, but are of significantly better quality. Ask to see them, compare the thickness on the sidewalls between the Maxxis and whatever else they are trying to sell you. Remember to check manufacture dates, should be not more than a year old as they will age out in 4 to 5 years regardless of usage.

If you're some place for a few days and can accept UPS packages- you can always find Maxxis at DiscountTireDirect.com. Free shipping and competitive prices.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #12

Any updates yet Balckhat? Hate to hear about this but I'm glad everyones OK. There's no worse feeling than to have a blowout early in a trip just to worry about every other tire.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #13

Yes, the tire monitor worked great. It told me when the blow outs happened!!! All pressures and temps were within parameters when they blew. I spent several days of our vacation hunting down "E" load tires to replace the "D" that came stock on the unit. They are not plentiful in the FL Keys. New tires carry 80psi rather than the 65psi of the "D"s. Glad I always carry two spares or we would have spent Christmas night on the roadside in South Miami.

Tags
tire, tires