Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Herk, I looked at this route and notice US1 qnd 13 co-mingle in Delaware. Do you stay on 13 or do you use US1. Streets and Trips has me using US1
Yes, US1/US13 till south of Dover then take US13 to the bridge/tunnel.

As you can see US1 goes to Rehoboth Beach on the coast and you don't want to go that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dover.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	30114  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #12

Thanks Herk, I still have not decided. I'm always wary of US1 and other small state roads as they tend to lead you thru every town and I end up hitting every stop light. Is US13/US1 stop and go? Might be better than a beat up Interstate Highway.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Thanks Herk, I still have not decided. I'm always wary of US1 and other small state roads as they tend to lead you thru every town and I end up hitting every stop light. Is US13/US1 stop and go? Might be better than a beat up Interstate Highway.
There is some limited access (mostly to Dover) then it is 4 lane with lights then bouts of 2 lane. Average speed is about 50 MPH for the route. Traffic can get busy around the Washington feeder and Dover. (Watch out on Race Weekend!)

I think it is a much more pleasant drive than the white knuckle 95 corridor.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homejames View Post
Just did the I84 ti 81 to 77 etc to South FL. I81 sustained a lot of road damage last winter. Back still hurts If I had to do it again I would have gone on 95. Also using Route 13 is a good alternative around DC, just watch for speed traps
Planning on this route to Florida next month, how much damage is there to I81?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #15

OK, I just returned from our trip to Canada and back to Florida. Let me say this about the roads, they all are terrible! We went up I-77 to I-81, lots of trucks and lots of pot holes in the roads. But, it never got better anywhere we went. we went all the way to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. The roads in Canada are just as bad as the roads in the U.S.
Coming home we decided to use the US-13 route at the end of the NJ Turnpike. Wow, first of all if you are traveling the NJTP stay in the truck lane as the car lane backs up for ten miles due to the road going from 3 lanes to 2 lanes. Then don't hit US-13 about rush hour. Once you get down US-13 a ways it does move OK, but when you get to Norfolk you are way east of I-95. I don't know, I almost think I would have been better off staying on 95 thru the megalopolis of Baltimore and DC but probably 6 of one half a dozen of the other. The roads suck in the north due to the weather beating and the lack of maintenance. Go the way you want, tighten your seat belt and enjoy your self.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #16

I live in Delaware and RT 1 and RT 13 are both 4 lane highways through the state. RT 1 has a toll in the north part and is 65 MPH. Do not stay on RT 1 to the beach area get on RT 13 or RT 113 (113 is also 4 lanes). RT 13 and RT 113 both meet in south Maryland to the bridge tunnel. The road turns into 2 lanes somewhere in south Maryland / northern Virginia area. You will hit traffic lights on both RT 13 and 113 in small towns but not really a big deal. The summer time traffic is bad from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. If leaving in the early hours traffic would not be bad. The bridge tunnel in Virginia will cost you about $12 for vehicle only and I believe $20 + for vehicle/camper. I have gone across and down I95 to get to Richmond area and traffic in DC is horrible. The traffic using the RT 13 or RT 113 path is much better w/o the DC traffic.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ_Sha View Post
I live in Delaware and RT 1 and RT 13 are both 4 lane highways through the state. RT 1 has a toll in the north part and is 65 MPH. Do not stay on RT 1 to the beach area get on RT 13 or RT 113 (113 is also 4 lanes). RT 13 and RT 113 both meet in south Maryland to the bridge tunnel. The road turns into 2 lanes somewhere in south Maryland / northern Virginia area. You will hit traffic lights on both RT 13 and 113 in small towns but not really a big deal. The summer time traffic is bad from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. If leaving in the early hours traffic would not be bad. The bridge tunnel in Virginia will cost you about $12 for vehicle only and I believe $20 + for vehicle/camper. I have gone across and down I95 to get to Richmond area and traffic in DC is horrible. The traffic using the RT 13 or RT 113 path is much better w/o the DC traffic.
LJ, It was a nice drive once we got a little south of the NJTP. Unfortunately, we hit it on Friday at rush hour. We drove to G&R to spend the night. I was probably frustrated coming off NJTP and before that being hung up in traffic on GW Bridge in New York. I'm a Florida boy from a small town and not used to dealing with the terrible traffic. As I reflect back it was a nice drive.