Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Anyone know what happens if you contract for 2 axles and then pull 4 through a toll? Doesn't seem fair to have to pay a 4-axle toll when you only pull a trailer a fraction of the time.
Really seems to depend on the state. I see some posts in other threads here talking about PA not needing to have the trailer registered with the E-ZPass account and they are charged the correct amount based on the number of axles, I've seen posts from people in Illinois saying you don't have to have a different transponder and it will detect the correct number of axles, and I've seen posts from people in Illinois that have been mailed a toll violation because their trailer plates weren't registered to their I-Pass account, and even posts where people were incorrectly charged because the toll sensors goofed.

So...check with the issuing state and keep an eye on your account, that's about the best advice I can give here considering it seems people have had everything under the sun happen.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #22
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Anyone know what happens if you contract for 2 axles and then pull 4 through a toll? Doesn't seem fair to have to pay a 4-axle toll when you only pull a trailer a fraction of the time.

I carry 2 EZ Pass transponders. One for when I'm towing, for not. The tag I'm not using gets stored in a mylar bag so it doesnt get read by mistake.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #23

I didn't have my car trailer tag on my EZPass account. The transponder did,not read so it took a picture of the rear view. Clearly in the pic you could see the Falcon tag and the rv, but because the trailer was not listed, they thought I did not have EZPass. Got that squared away.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Like what said you can pick up an EZ Pass at even the PA Turnpike service plazas. PA will not allow you to register a trailer on your EZ Pass account. Other states may but they say on their website that it will read the tag off of the tow vehicle. My camper is not on our account and I have a fifth wheel and yet I always end up getting billed correctly if not they send you a letter and you just give me a transponder number and they bill you. Like was also said it does not work in Florida on the SunPass system but otherwise up and down the East Coast we've used it extensively. I think I even used it Crossing into Ontario actually at the bridge in Niagara Falls.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Unfortunately, no EZ-Pass here in Canada. And as a Canadian, I don't think I can even get one. I remember looking into them years back when working a project in NJ and I needed to take toll roads from LGA in a rental car. At the time, they needed a US based address to sign up. Instead, I just had to pay the grossly inflated rental company's toll pass rental rates.

I'll check into whether or not there's an option though... things might have changed.

So, without EZ-Pass, what's the process? How much hassle am I looking at?
Times have changed. In MA they have taken out the manned toll booths. You must use easy pass. Some toll by plate in Florida. Easypass is cheaper.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #26
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Times have changed. In MA they have taken out the manned toll booths. You must use easy pass. Some toll by plate in Florida. Easypass is cheaper.

Not true. Here in MA EZ Pass will get you a lower toll rate but if you don't have one, they will take a photo of your plate and mail you a bill.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

They started the sending the bill thing at the NJ PA border of the turnpike. I figure it's only matter of time before toll takers go away.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #28

PA has toll by plate, might be an option for you
https://www.paturnpike.com/toll/tollbyplate.aspx

2015 Tracer 3140RSD Touring
2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Blue Ox Swaypro BXW1500
mmangiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Not true. Here in MA EZ Pass will get you a lower toll rate but if you don't have one, they will take a photo of your plate and mail you a bill.
that is true that's why I said EZpass is cheaper. If you're driving a rental, and didn't take the transponder it's a double whammy.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #30
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
that is true that's why I said EZpass is cheaper. If you're driving a rental, and didn't take the transponder it's a double whammy.

You said you must have an EZPass in MA which is false.They use pay by plate for non EZPass drivers.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:44 PM   #31

I think I will have to look into the ezpass, going to the Gettysburg rally and I hate stopping to pay tolls all the time. Living in MN we don't have tolls so rarely need to worry about it.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #32
Who Dares, Wins

Yes, tolls seem to be an East coast and mostly northeast thing...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #33

Interesting how each state is different with how they use EZPass!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #34
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Yes, tolls seem to be an East coast and mostly northeast thing...
I guess you haven't been to California then... The freeways aren't so free any more and with three toll authorities operating within the state, it's a nightmare if you're a tourist because they don't honor each other's passes.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Unfortunately, no EZ-Pass here in Canada. And as a Canadian, I don't think I can even get one. I remember looking into them years back when working a project in NJ and I needed to take toll roads from LGA in a rental car. At the time, they needed a US based address to sign up. Instead, I just had to pay the grossly inflated rental company's toll pass rental rates.

I'll check into whether or not there's an option though... things might have changed.

I’m in Ontario and simply drove across the border to a Tops Supermarket. If I recall, it was $20 and there’s a $10 credit on it and a $10 deposit that you can get back if you turn it in?

No problem registering it online, and it’s linked t my RBC US visa.

Never registered the trailer but I always get billed correctly.

I got it after a car-only trip through Chicago where I thought it was a toll-by-mail system like the 407 and blew through a crapload of booths. That was several hundred dollars in tolls and non-negotiable penalties [emoji51]
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #36

Quote:

YOU CAN GET AN E-Z PAS IN CANADA. They will mail it to you, call them. My friends have one and they live in Burlington, got theirs through the NY office.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #37

I cannot speak to the states you are going through but want to stress several points made above. If you use an EZTag be sure to pick a wide lane. Many are narrow. If you have to use the Truck lane on the far right it will surely be set up for EZTag and cash but you will still sit in line while many truckers pay with cash. As you may note I am in Houston and my experience is with Texas Tollroads. My first pull was leaving the dealership late and having to cross Houston during rush hour. Very glad we had called in and here we set up a temp pass given my TV already had an EzPass. Went around the City. Saved me a very long, slow trip through downtown Houston's freeway system. I am sure this all sounds confusing but it is easy and you will be glad you did it rather than the 3 extra hours on the road.
Tom Sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #38

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Pa. Pike is very expensive. From the Ohio line to Harrisburg in a car will cost you $38.25 and that’s just one way.

I would take RT 2 East from Toledo until it turns into I-90 East toward Cleveland. At mm 146 take rt 57 south 2 miles to the Oh. turnpike take it east to exit 218 in Austintown, Oh. where you will pick up I-80 East into Pa. You would only be on the Oh turnpike for 73 miles, and they only toll miles for the trip. Once on I-80 East take it to exit 111 rt 322 east all the way into Harrisburg/Hershey.

I have pulled a 31’ 5th wheel this exact route to Harrisburg/Hershey for the RV show there. It’s a little hilly and curvey in Pa. on rt 322 but nothing to be worried about.

This should save you over $160 round trip. I don’t think it will be 3 hours longer, 1 1/2 maybe 2. With EZ Pass you do get a discount rate on toll roads.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #39
Insert witty title here

There's a bridge over near NYC called the George Washington Bridge. Crossing that with a trailer in tow will set you back around $70.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #40
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
There's a bridge over near NYC called the George Washington Bridge. Crossing that with a trailer in tow will set you back around $70.
It was $50 with a two axle trailer last July. And no discount with a basic EZPass.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote