Old 06-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
Site Team

To Toll or Not To Toll - That is the Question.

We've got a trip planned to Hershey, PA coming up in July, and I'm trying to figure out my route, stops for gas, etc... Normally, I prefer to avoid toll roads, not because of the expense, but because I hate dealing with the hassles. I almost never carry cash and I definitely don't have exact change. And with the trailer in tow, there's so many more regulations I might need to know that I'd be completely unaware of, like would I require a transponder like the the big rigs require?

But according to various routing options, between Detroit and Hershey it's 80+ miles and almost 3 hours longer to go the non-toll route. So, I'm thinking maybe this time I'm going to have to take the toll roads. Can anybody let me know what to expect towing a fiver on the toll roads in OH/PA? What do I need to know, what do I need to expect?

Thanks,

Old 06-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #2

Hi,

If you have an EZ pass, or whatever they call it in your state, negotiating the toll booths in Ohio and PA get a lot simpler.

However, be aware the a few weeks ago the Ohio Turnpike had huge stretches under construction, which slowed my trip from Illinois to Pittsburgh considerably.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Prime Member

EZ pass will save you time at the toll booths for sure. In some cases, the EZ pass toll is cheaper too.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #4

You should just get an ez pass, it is a small device you can put behind your mirror, the tolls are much cheaper and it comes out if your debit or credit account, no need to deal with tolls while towing, you got enough to worry about, just drive right through the toll booth slowly. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1528219559.846308.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	174693
Old 06-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #5

I would get an E-ZPass that is correct for towing a trailer with the number of axles you have. Not only do you not have to worry about carrying change but it will open the toll gate automatically AND the cost of the tolls can be nearly half the cost of the cash toll.

E-ZPass Group - Home

We got our I-Pass (Illinois' E-ZPass program) for when we travel up around Chicago, but it works across the other E-ZPass states and we used it this past weekend when we drove across IN and OH to Cedar Point. You don't have to live in the state that you get the transponder from, you can open an account and order online to have it shipped to you. Check the admin/maintenance fees charged by each state as they will be different even though it's all part of the same network.

If you use the E-ZPass then you just go through the truck lanes and it's all automated, charges and such all appear online in your E-ZPass account.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Unfortunately, no EZ-Pass here in Canada. And as a Canadian, I don't think I can even get one. I remember looking into them years back when working a project in NJ and I needed to take toll roads from LGA in a rental car. At the time, they needed a US based address to sign up. Instead, I just had to pay the grossly inflated rental company's toll pass rental rates.

I'll check into whether or not there's an option though... things might have changed.

So, without EZ-Pass, what's the process? How much hassle am I looking at?
Old 06-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
Prime Member

The only eastern US state that does not accept EZ pass that I'm aware of is Florida. They have their own version called SunPass.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
Prime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Unfortunately, no EZ-Pass here in Canada. And as a Canadian, I don't think I can even get one. I remember looking into them years back when working a project in NJ and I needed to take toll roads from LGA in a rental car. At the time, they needed a US based address to sign up. Instead, I just had to pay the grossly inflated rental company's toll pass rental rates.

I'll check into whether or not there's an option though... things might have changed.

Some places uses a pay by plate system where they mail you a bill for the toll. Others you will have to wait in cash line. Expect delays at toll booths. They will usually charge you by the axle so expect to pay alot more than the regular passenger car rate.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #9

You can pick up an EZPass (believe $25) at any of the Ohio Turnpike Service Plazas. There's one just east of Toledo on the 90. You can register there as well. A few trips between western PA and Chicagoland, the EZPass just made things easier.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2018: 15
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post

Ohio's website specifically mentions that international shipping rates will apply, so it would seem they will ship outside the US.

As others have mentioned, you can also pick them up at the service plazas and many states also have transponders available at retail store locations.

Visit the site I linked previously and explore the options from the various states, you should have no problem getting one shipped to you in Canada and if you do then you can easily pick one up once you hit the first toll road plaza and likely at one of the oases along the way.