Old 09-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #21
KY Dan. On our way back to KY from a similar trip. We picked up an EZ Pass transponder from a Rite Aid while we were at the Goshen Rally

The IN rules allow trailer towing on the auto transponder

I entered the license tag numbers of my motorhome and toad on the website. Set up a $25 starter fund and drove across OH, PA, NY, MA, NH, ME, DEL AND NJ.

Currently on our way home through Shenandoah Valley and so far EZ Pass just goes and gets what it needs from the CC.

Any questions just PM me

bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #22
I-495 around Boston was the worst parking lot I have ever had the misfortune to be stuck in. Avoid it if at all possible.
If you can stop at the Richmond Irving Gas Station at Exit 43 off I-295, you might get one of the best every lobster roll sandwiches.

BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #23
Location: Home of the 4 time Super Bowl Champions Patriots and we'll be there again
Same could be said about every road inside of 495- 3,93,and 95. Depending when you run them. Channels 4,5,7 and WBZradio 1030 have continuous traffic reports
Mary and Me
2015 2650s

2015 Jeep Cherokee
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #24
Tappan Zee Bridge

best route is across tappan zee bridge . but try to avoid crossing it at rush hours.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #25
Site Team
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
best route is across tappan zee bridge . but try to avoid crossing it at rush hours.
We should be crossing the Tappan Zee mid day on a Sunday so I'm not
too worried about this one. Thanks!

Back to the EZ pass-- the first EZ pass state we'll encounter is WV.
I'll call them Tuesday and see if best bet is to set up account online and
hopefully purchase a transponder as soon as we enter WV. Don't know if
they have them at the welcome centers or not but will find out.

Wondering if I set up EZ pass account in WV website- can I purchase
transponder in a neighboring state and still be OK? Wow this would have
been easier if I'd got my ducks in a row a few days sooner!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #26
This is how I did it. Stop at a PA service center while traveling (preferably the first one you see). If you buy the EZ pass while on the toll road it costs about $35 and you get first toll free. They require a credit card they can use as payment; EZ pass automatically takes payment when your funds run low and the money you forked over to pay for the pass goes in your account for future tolls. If you do it this way, you need access to the Internet to activate your pass (I used my smart phone to activate pass immediately). The instructions for activation are with the pass and the web site is easy to use. Yes you have to get a ticket to enter the toll road. My EZ pass is mounted to my front window but if you don't want to mount it you can just put it on the dash to roll thru tolls. Hope this made sense to you.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #27
Not to mention but most tollways are not American owned. I prefer like FordIdaho to choose the path less traveled
2014 Berkshire 390FL XL
2015 F-350 ext-cab longbed diesel 4X4.
Eqdawg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #28
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Hey Dan, I can tell you about a few tolls (depending on the route you decide on) that I know of between Hershey and CT. Interstates 76, 95, 87, 90 are toll roads. Eastbound river crossings (Delaware River on I78, I80 & Hudson River I84,) are toll free (they'll get you on the way back westbound). Except Tappan Zee (I87/287) & NYC crossings, I think they're the other way around.

If it were me, I would take US 15 north to I81 (Harrisburg) north to I84 (Scranton) east all the way into Mass. (then pick your route to Plymouth, unsure of tolls out there). Less tolls and cheaper to cross rivers

A variation of that route is I81 to I78 into N.J. then I287 north to I87 (toll) (N.Y, N.J border) north to I84 (Newburgh, NY) east. (Less mountainous travel)
If you travel the toll roads, they'll either get you periodically or when you get on or off an exit (NY).

Many ways to get there some with a some without (many) tolls.
Traveling from Fl to home (NOVA Scotia) we take the following route and avoid Tap bridge $11.00 going east!!!!!

I 81 to Harrisburg, then 78,287,87 84, I-90 (toll from 84 to 495), 495 to I-95 north..Total tolls from Harrisburg to Houlton,Me are less than $10.00..Going to Bar Harbour you can avoid some of the I-95 N tolls....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #29
I got mine at the local AAA
rwmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #30
Originally Posted by Rick_Geneseo View Post
I have 2 ipass/ezpass. A white one when I have just the truck (white) and one for when I have the 5ver on. Significant toll difference. For example $1.80 with the truck, and truck/trailer is $6.50. We can get basic ipass at jewel/osco here in Illinois. The combo has to be mailed or picked up at an designated toll stop.
Originally posted by nomad297
This is the problem with many other states' E-ZPasses -- you need at least two. Get the PA Turnpike EZ-Pass, stick it on your windshield, forget about it and you will get charged the correct toll no matter how many axles you have or how much you weigh. I have never been charged incorrectly.

2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4:10 SRW
Rick: Don't know what you're talking about "the other one." I've got a white I-Pass and it knows if I've got my trailer on or not and charges me accordingly. South Beloit Plaza - $.95 truck only, $4.00 truck and trailer. I just drive through. I don't need two I-Passes. Commercial vehicles need a blue transponder, but you shouldn't be commercial with a 5ver.

Nomad: My I-Pass worked just fine last month in IL, IN, OH, PA, NY and MA. I didn't need two.

Good on all these:
Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority
Burlington County Bridge Commission
Delaware Department of Transportation
Delaware River and Bay Authority
Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission
Delaware River Port Authority
Illinois Tollway
Indiana Toll Road Concession Company, LLC
Massachusetts Department of Transportation
Maryland Transportation Authority
Maine Turnpike Authority
Metropolitan Transportation Authority Bridges and Tunnels
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
New Jersey Turnpike Authority
New York State Bridges Authority
New York State Thruway Authority
Niagara Falls Bridge Commission
North Carolina Turnpike Authority
Ohio Turnpike Commission
Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission
Port Authority of New York & New Jersey
Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority
Skyway Concession Company
South Jersey Transportation Authority
Virginia Department of Transportation
West Virginia Parkway Authority

1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote