Old 04-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #1

Tom's Cove anyone?

We are looking to camp at Tom's Cove in Chincoteague some time this summer. I was wondering if anyone has had recent experience there and if they have any pointers.

2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #2

been there .nice place. make sure your reservations are good.
and lot is what you asked for

Old 04-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #3

Bump
2013 - 15
Old 04-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #4

We have been going to toms cove every year for the last 14years. We go in August. We like it but it is an old campground that has quite a few seasonals. We tend to get a site in the B area, seems to be less crowded. we only get water and electric, I don't like the locations of the full hookup sites. The sites are close together and can be tight but they are grassy, no driveway. most sites do not have fire rings, but you can have a fire on the ground, sandy soil makes for an easy pit. they are not the most up to date technology wise, payment for your camp site is check or cash only, no credit or ATM cards. Though they do take credit cards at the store for supplies. the bathhouses need work, the best ones are in the building with the laundry next to the store. Those were just built about 4 or 5 years ago. the club house is very dated. The seasonal sites are toward the back. We usually have a nice breeze but bring bug repellant and a screened gazebo, there are mosquitos though they do spray/fog every night (right at dinner lol) the pool is decent. There is the golf cart parade most of the day (the favorite pastime of the seasonal). Seagulls love trash, they will drag it all over the place if you don't guard it. the campground staff are good about coming by every day to pick up the trash, but we usually took it to the store when we left for the day, as that is where the trash truck is parked. We go for the beach and assateague is a short drive.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #5

Oh, and stay away from
Old 04-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #6

The last weekend in July, pony penning is a nightmare unless that is what you are going for.......��
Old 04-07-2015, 07:19 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies!
I was wondering about campfires since they did not have rings.
I'm going to start looking for a screen room right now. I thought about getting one for a few years, and I remember getting a lot of bites when we day tripped to Assateague.
I'd love to see the pony swim... but then again, maybe we could just take a day trip for that.
Again, thanks!
2013 - 15
Old 04-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #8

The pony swim is quite an occasion. Since they swim at low tide, the time of the swim varies year to year. The one year we went, the swim was very early in the morning. And lots of people. I think the actual swim is the 4th Wednesday in July but the festivities go on all week with at the carnival grounds with the fair.
If you have never been to chincoteague, here is some more info. The beach at assateague is federal, i think it was about 16 bucks for the week pass. The visitors center at the beach area has a schedule of ranger programs, they have a lot to offer. The kayak excursion they offer fills up early, we have never been able to get a slot . The Bateman education center also is a nice rainy day activity. There is a wildlife bus tour that leaves from there that is not to pricey (cheaper than the boat tours you find on Chincoteague). We saw the ponies up close when we went on it and bald eagles. They do not let you off the bus to take pictures, so it can be hard to get decent shots. The beach does get crowded and if the parking lots fill up, then there's a line waiting as one car leaves, they let one car in, we usually get there before 10 and do not have any problems. I think after mid afternoon, it frees up too, but we never go that late. The light house is usually open, there is a fee to go up in it but the view is really nice.
One other cool activity is the Chincoteague museum. It is on the road to the beach just before the bridge on the left. It showcases the history of Chincoteague and they have a search and find activity that was fun.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #9

If you enjoy fishing you can do so for free off of their pier. The campground pier is covered under a blanket permit.