Old 11-06-2019, 10:40 PM   #21
Canadian Member

I agree with the other posters about traffic on Hwy 401. The 407 is an expensive toll route but totally worth it to avoid the 401 when towing.

On the Canadian side near Niagara Falls you can stay at Sherkston Shores RV Park (midweek, not on a weekend) and its a nice 20 minute drive to Niagara Falls. The kids will enjoy the amenities at Sherkston Shores. I recommend you avoid the end of July and early August as that’s the busiest time of the summer. In the Niagara area, the kids will like the Butterfly Observatory and Mom and Dad will enjoy the drive to Niagara on the Lake. When in Niagara Falls on the Canadian side, I would avoid the Clifton Hill area unless you like carnival type stuff and wax museums.

Closer to Toronto, it sounds like you’ll want to spend a day at Canada’s Wonderland amusement park.

Prince Edward County is pretty and quaint but it’s starting to get touristy lately. Lots of artsy stuff and a few wineries. Sandbanks Provincial Park would be a good choice for a family but you have to book a site 5 months to the day in advance for a summer visit.

Kingston is a beautiful city. With its very historic limestone buildings it used to be the capital of “Upper Canada”. Take in a sunset ceremony at Fort Henry if you can.

The 1000 Islands area is beautiful. Take a drive for the full length of the 1000 Islands Parkway from Gananoque to near Brockville. If you want to do a boat tour, I recommend taking a tour out of Rockport because you start in the heart of the islands and they have smaller boats that will get you into areas that the big boats won’t. A visit to Boldt Castle would be a great option on your boat tour.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:32 AM   #22

East Harbor State Park

East Harbor State Park on the Marblehead peninsula (Port Clinton) is a great place to stay. It's just across the bay from Cedar Point, about 20 minutes, and in the heart of Lake Erie Islands Vacationland. They have full and partial hookups but the full hookups go fast so make your reservations early. I was a park ranger/officer there for 25 years, you'll like it. http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/eastharbor

Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:44 AM   #23

Frankenmuth, MI

I see you're heading into Mich. after Cedar Point. Just off I75 north of Detroit is Frankenmuth, Michigans little Bavaria, home of the worlds largest Christmas store. The exit from I75 to Frankenmuth is Birch Run where Tony's restaurant is located. They have a giant BLT that is legendary.

https://www.frankenmuth.org/

Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:52 AM   #24

30 miles east of Cleveland is Geneva on the Lake State Park... Geneva on the Lake is an old-fashioned town with the main drag made up of about 1.5 miles of carnival attractions, mini-golf, zip lines, eateries, t-shirt places and arcades...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #25
Old Soldier

Wellesley Island State Park - just before you cross into Canada is great for kids: nature centre, Beaver lodge along a hiking trail, sheltered beach... Toronto West KOA is decent. Lots for the kids in Toronto. Kingston is very kid friendly, and their KOA is a treat - the family who run it love kids! Enjoy your trip!
ColonelRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardtarget View Post
Niagara falls is an obvious one. Looking for suggestions on the north shore of Lake Ontario and the south shore of Lake Erie....
Lots of wineries from Niagara to Hamilton. Crossing Toronto, try very early AM or late PM. 407 (Toll road) may be a good choice. Once East of Toronto, the Thousand Island Parkway is better than 401. The RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) Museum at CFB (Canadian Forces Base) Trenton is a great stop. Presquisle (sp?) Provincial Park nearby. Hope you have a good time and good weather.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:26 PM   #27

dont stay anywhere in Niagara Falls for camping. there are much nicer and cheaper parks relatively close. Jordan Valley is a nice quiet spot 20 mins from the falls.

there is also NET in Vineland. either would be a better choice then the niagara falls parks in my mind..
Old 11-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa1000 View Post
We spent some time near Erie PA. Amusement park, water park
( https://waldameer.com)and a State park (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...nsylvania.html) that is not to be missed. There is Sarah's RV park (https://sarascampground.com/) in the middle of it all.
Waldemar is a great smaller amusement park including waterworld. They have even adding new rides every year for the past 10 years or so. Presque Isle State Park has swimming beaches and is a nice place to visit. Sara's is a bit tight, but does have a great place to eat, which is accessible from the road going into the park. Check out Presque Isle Passage campground. It is right off interstate 90 at the exit you would use to get to Presque Isle. Good place for a night stop even if not exploring Presque Isle. They have some easy pull throughs.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:24 AM   #29

We did a buffalo niagra and tornto trip without the camper though. A few suggestions for you.

I really enjoyed the Frank Lloyd Wright Martin House if you are into that. There is a second house 30min away but it would require advanced reservations for a tour. You can walk into the Martin house and there are tours every few hours. Both were owned by the Martins.
http://www.martinhouse.org/

Eat at Duffs if you want wings in buffalo. Not the first but best in town.
http://www.duffswings.com/

Niagra you should visit goat island on the US side but spend most of the time viewing from the canadian side. We did this on the way through. Just cross the border once unless you walk across rainbow bridge. Toll is a dollar to walk and no lines walking but you will spend 2-3hrs on any bridge nearby with a car or RV so plan accordingly. There are fireworks every night at 10pm and falls are lit up well from canadian side at night until about 2 or 3am.

For the falls I would do Journey behind the falls more for the information than the view. Skip maid of the mist/hornblower as it is the same thing. Best view was Skylon tower. It is pretty empty in the morning because the falls can fog up a bit in the AM. Second best view was Mariott Fallsview bit you need a room to get the view.

By far the best was the jetboat ride. Not for the faint of heart. Plan to be soaked and don't do this in winter.
https://www.whirlpooljet.com/

I too would stay clear of the Clifton Hill tourist trap unless you like that kind of thing. It reminds me of Branson Mo.

Try a beavertail while in Canada.
https://beavertails.com/

We enjoyed Niagra On the Lake if you have time while there. There is a good fort and small town to visit, easy to walk around.

In Toronto we also visited Casa Loma. It is quite the contrast to the Martin house built in the same timeframe. Self tour with an entry fee and free audio tour.

We took QE highway to 403 to get into Toronto mid day and only hit traffic in the city but once there it was pretty busy. I would not take a trailer into town but all depends on your comfort level and your need.

That is the part I can help with at least until next year then I may be asking you for ideas and campgrounds in Michigan.

Enjoys the trip!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:22 AM   #30

check out Virginia's Beach campground in Erie, PA... Beautiful place, lake front pull thru sites.
greggcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
30 miles east of Cleveland is Geneva on the Lake State Park... Geneva on the Lake is an old-fashioned town with the main drag made up of about 1.5 miles of carnival attractions, mini-golf, zip lines, eateries, t-shirt places and arcades...
I second this! Geneva State Park campground is great. They have many sites that are full hook up. You could ride a bike from the CG to Geneva on the Lake if you wanted. Swimming beach. Easy access from interstate 90.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #32

Do not use 407,i just use it twice on both direction and i received a $250 CDN bill on
the mail 1 month later.This is crazy, the photo alone cost $50. each way.
11chalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #33

Ohio

Lots of good recommendations for Ohio shore line. Hit geneva on the lake. Visit Cleveland’s rock hall. A baseball game etc from that stop. Visit Cuyahoga valley national park. Switch to marble head. And do cedar point.. make sure to make some time to visit the islands ( put-in-bay, kelley’s). Enjoy the trip. All sorts of beauty along the route and amusement parks to boot.
dannywop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #34
I'm Lost

A couple of suggestions in your Canadian routing;

1/-Head north from the Kingston area up through Peterborough, take in the worlds largest hydraulic lift lock (Trent-Severn canal), then north up the east side of Algonquin Park, stay in "The Park" (7800sq Kms or 3000sq miles) and if its August then look for the Thursday wolf howls (please excuse my promoting The Park as I work here).

Head west through Huntsville to Parry Sound, tour the 30,000 islands of Georgian Bay (the sixth great lake), and if time permits, some of the finest fish & chips in the world at Henry's Fish Restaurant on Fryingpan Island (tour boat or charter float-plane access only).

Head south on 400 through Barrie stopping at Canada's Wonderland just before Toronto, take the 407 (toll) to 403 then down through the Golden Horseshoe to Niagara Falls.

2/-Either from Toronto or Huntsville/Algonquin Park head through/from Parry Sound towards Sudbury, a side trip to Killarny and stay at the Provincial Park there, (oh, there is Herbert's Fisheries fish & chips in the village, they're world famous too!).

Continue north to Sudbury, the largest city in Northern Ontario. Go underground at Dynamic Earth, visit the giant snowflake aka Science North.

Head west on hwy 17, turn south on hwy 6 through Espanola to the world's largest fresh water island "Manitoulin Island". Here you can tour the island then head north again to 17 or take the Chi-Cheemaun ferry south to Tobermory (flowerpot islands, glass bottom boat tours of the many ship-wrecks) from here follow the Niagara Escarpment down through Southern Ontario through Hamilton to Niagara Falls.

Alternatively, return to hwy 17, head west to Elliot Lake, 20 minutes north of 17 on hwy 108, then another 30+ minutes north to the lovely Missisagi Provincial Park on hwy 639 after staying here proceed slightly north to hwy 546, drive south-west back to hwy 17 at Iron Bridge (you've just completed 2 legs of the Deer Trail).

Head west on 17 to Sault ste Marie (known as "The Soo"). Take in the many sites here in and around the city, the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre is a great hands-on museum, well worth the visit. Check out the many lake freighters passing through the Soo locks. Nearby is the final resting place of the iron oar carrier 'Edmond Fitzgerald'. Song link https://youtu.be/9vST6hVRj2A There are multiple private campgrounds in the area plus two Provincial Parks just to the north.

From here cross over the St Marys river to Soo Michigan. Discover the fantastic UP and continue south on the I75. At Mackinaw City I suggest you head south-east following hwy 23 to Bay City then pick-up #25 down to Port Huron, this way you can enjoy the Lake Huron shoreline. Frankenmuth, as another writer mentioned is worth a visit, it is just south-east of Bay City on #83.

From here take I94 & I75 to Toledo, cut across to Cedar Point.

Geoff

2013 F150 Screw, 6.2L gasser, HDPP, LT tyres, Firestone Air Bags, 250L aux tank.
2013 Rockwood Signature 8310SS

wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:04 PM   #35

In 2018, we did a two-week camping tour around all 5 Great Lakes. It was a blast. In Toronto, we stayed in Darlington Provincial Park. It was a beautiful park and we had a very nice, very large, site on the water. Of all the lakes, this stop actually ended up being the best swimming (we were shocked). The campground is up the shore from the city, but the coast line curves, so you have a great view of the city lit up at night. One or two exits from the campground is the last stop on the train line that takes you directly downtown. We got up one morning and took the kids for a 45 minute train ride into Toronto and spent the day there. Super convenient. When in the campground, you feel like you are really 'camping' but you are not far from the city.

We did Niagara Falls in 2015. We stayed at Branches, a private campground about 15 minutes away from the falls on the U.S. side. It was a very nice campground and an easy drive to the falls. Niagara is very weird. I highly suggest seeing it from BOTH sides. As mentioned above, the U.S. side is dumpy if you are talking about the actual city. It is awful, BUT the view there is amazing, because you can walk in a large park, across some small islands and literally stand ON TOP OF the falls. Cave of the Winds is a must if you have kids. We crossed back and forth to the Canadian side a bunch of times. The view of the falls is definitely better over there because you are a little farther from the falls and are looking AT it instead of being IN it. Unlike poster above, we never had any problems crossing back and forth on the Rainbow Bridge. If I did it now, I would walk it, but our kids were too young then.

Cedar Point was nice. The campground is SUPER conveniently located to an entrance in the middle of the park as well as the water park. Being a camper gets you early entry... but there are only a couple of rides open. We would get up and go into the park until early afternoon when it was very busy. Then we went to the water park for a few hours, had dinner at the camper, and then went back into the park at night. Good times.

Lastly, not sure which direction you are going... If you are going from Toronto to Cedar Point it will take you much longer than your GPS or mapping software predict. Traffic is awful the entire way from TO to Buffalo. The border crossing is slow. We timed the whole day horribly. Hit morning traffic leaving TO, crawled all the way to the border, hit traffic in Buffalo, then hit afternoon rush hour going through Cleveland. It ended up taking most of the day for that drive.

Looks like an awesome trip, have fun!!!
Old 11-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #36

Lake Erie and Ohio

While in the Cedar Point area, check out South Bass Island (ferry ride required) and the campground there. Between the campground and nearby town of Put-In-Bay you won't be disappointed. A slight deviation on your route could take you to Hocking Hills St. Pk. which is south and a little east of Columbus, OH. The stunning rock formations are sure to impress.
The other posters suggesting that you avoid the CAN side of Lake Ontario are on the money. The Toronto traffic can bring you to your knees. If you go into CAN be sure to bring your passports. Not trying to bash CAN, we spend a lot of time visiting our neighbor to the north and love it - just not the Toronto area traffic.
Bob
cromhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #37

I would avoid the Canadian side all together. No offense to my Canadian bretheren but you'll have expensive gas, tolls, traffic in Toronto and possible hassles at customs, both US and Canada. Do not bring any veggies back into the US if you do go to Canada.

Another vote for East Harbor State park. It's close to Cedar point and , as others mentioned, take the ferry over to Kelley's Island. Rent a golf cart and go exploring!
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #38

Sherkston Shore is a beautiful place on the Canadian side just over the border from Buffalo. It's expensive, but a great place especially for kids and it's much nicer than any of the lake Erie beaches we have on the Buffalo side.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #39

Great Lakes

Thanks for bringing the family to Michigan. Please take the time to visit our "Great" lakes. I would recommend making a stop at Ludington State Park. After you leave Houghton Lake head due west. The drive down US-31 is beautiful. Plenty of large sand dunes for the kids to run up and down and burn off extra energy.
southfork21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #40

Leaving Durham find a way to get over to I81 ASAP! Use US501 into Virginia. This is only 13 miles longer than your horrible, projected route up I95. There's a reason the telephone number for the Auto Train from DC to Orlando is 1-800-HATE-I95. (not really, but close).

I95 is a zoo even thru Richmond where we are. I've resorted to heading west out of Richmond on I64 detouring over to I81 when headed north. No DC traffic which will hours and ulcers to your trip any time of day. Roughly 13 hours from Durham to the St Lawrence River bridges either route.

Halfway to Kingston is Gettysburg, PA. Probably a dozen campgrounds there. Battlefield KOA is our favorite. Drummer Boy is #2 and with many pull thrus is ideal for an overnight.

East Harbor SP (OH) is the largest in the state. OSP reservations start 6 months in advance. Need to make them at Thanksgiving for Memorial Day. Cedar Point holds no attraction for me but Put-in-Bay for day (with a golf cart) is fun.

-- Chuck