Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

Travel directions off lon Island NY

I have a route from my road service company. Leaving nassau county Long Island. We are on the south shore and will start out from long Beach acreoss the atlantic beach bridge. Heading towards Kenedy air port and the North conduit ave. For those of you familiar with the area. past Kenedy airport the directions say to take ramp to 27 west/belt parkway for the last 12 miles to the verizano Bridge. I did not think I coiuld take the parkway with a trailr and am mostly concerned with any over passes. Any one familiar with getting off Long Island any suggetions and what about the Belt parkway?
tsull1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #2

Belt parkway in Brooklyn and Queens is prohibited. Low overpasses.
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #3

Hi. Ya found out the easy way. Got on the Belt by mistake and found a tow driver almost immediately who got me off at the right exit with no problems and directions to the BQE to the Verrizano Bridge. The travel service from my road service company sent me directions to take the Belt. You think they would know better. Take care all.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #4

I take the LIE to the clear view expressway, through cross Bronx expressway and over the George Washington Bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Enc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enc356 View Post
I take the LIE to the clear view expressway, through cross Bronx expressway and over the George Washington Bridge

X2!! This is your best route. Depending on the time of day, it could take 30 minutes or 2 hours to go the 7 miles that the Cross Bronx spans.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #6

Any of the "Parkways" in New York built as part of the road projects constructed during the depression are prohibited to trailers and all commercial vehicles (even cars with commercial registrations). Motorcycles were even prohibited until the late 60's early 70's. But, your right, too bad travel services and GPS's don't know this!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #7

My brother missed the turn for the clearview expressway and some how ended up in midtown Manhattan towing his 5th wheel. He said it was horrible...lol. It can be tricky trying to get off the island if you are not familiar with the roads and rules.

Enc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #8

Hey again. We live in Point Lookout so to get to the LIE means heading down the Wantagh P'way and east to pick up 135 and north to the expressway. We went thru Atlantic Beach to the Nassau expressway. That"s where we made a wrong turn. Last year we hit the BQE no problem. It really is a pain having to bribe your way off long Island to go practically any where. If you don't live around here you just can't imagine the pain in the butt, Unless you live in the same type situation. Happy holidays and happy and safe new Year. Tom and Brenda

Tags
travel