Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

Trenton NJ Campground Suggestions

I am planning a trip to see NYC middle to late September. I will be using the Trenton Transit Station to get into the city for sightseeing days. I need recommendation for a campground with full hookup that I ca stay at for 6 nights. I saw a couple in Jackson NJ, Timber Lake or Indian Rock, read not so good reviews which were a couple years old. Thanks in advance!
Terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:20 AM   #2

Is there a reason you want to stay so far away? I would recommend the Jersey City area or one of the state parks in Hinterdon County like Spruce Run.
gandb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:48 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My MIL lives just outside Trenton in Columbus (we moved out of NJ several years ago). I have looked into CG in the area to bring our fiver. I have yet to find a good option so I still end up staying at her house on an air mattress. point is, you might want to look for a different area to commute from. Trenton can be a pretty rough city also.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback! Is getting to and using the Newark Penn Station pretty easy? area to stay...Upper Black Eddy PA looks like some nice CG with some good reviews.
Terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

For the easiest commute into the city would be to camp in Jersey City's Liberty Harbor RV. They call it an "urban camping experience" so make sure you research it. I've never stayed but with Liberty State Park and the ferries right there it's only 15 minutes from Manhattan.
Here's their website link: http://www.libertyharborrv.com/
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

stay out of the Jackson area. really would not want to leave my trl unattended for long period
efgsr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
For the easiest commute into the city would be to camp in Jersey City's Liberty Harbor RV. They call it an "urban camping experience" so make sure you research it. I've never stayed but with Liberty State Park and the ferries right there it's only 15 minutes from Manhattan.
Here's their website link: Liberty Harbor RV Park

stayed there a number of years ago and was not impressed. Most I ever paid for a camping site. It is nothing but a parking lot, biggest advantage to staying here is it's location, especially if you want to go to the Statue of Liberty.
Ken Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgsr47 View Post
stay out of the Jackson area. really would not want to leave my trl unattended for long period
x2 Leave at that
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #9

Ok, from NJ, southern part but had relatives up in Mercer County area. Like someone stated; up in the Trenton area is rough. As for I-95, yikes. Lived on Staten Island NY. Know Jackson NJ area. (again leave it to that) Anywhere up there does not impress me. Did you give it a thought to go out to Long Island NY and see how the transportation is going into the city? Yeah it will be long. How about just skip taking camper and just stay at a Hotel?

Good Luck
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #10
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Y View Post
stayed there a number of years ago and was not impressed. Most I ever paid for a camping site. It is nothing but a parking lot, biggest advantage to staying here is it's location, especially if you want to go to the Statue of Liberty.
O.K. Then what are your suggestions? They said they wanted NYC, it definitely gives you that. I'm always looking too. We stay in a lot of concrete resort sites because we are there for the local attraction, not the campground. Location, location, location as they say.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
Rich and Char

Hi , since I live here and know what's here first hand.The way I see it you have two options , Butterfly Campground is a nice small , quiet campground in Jackson family owned , we stay there from time to time for a quick weekend away from home. Being only 5 min. from our house . Not the cheapest but... and as long as your under 40' there's no problem, and its a nice campground but not a fancy resort type of campground. Were 40' and it's tight backing into there largest sights. Second is Tip Tam Campground which is much larger and for me it's just ok. I never brought my rig there but have been there many times , actually to both many times. My parents used to snow bird from Fla. and spend the summer in either one with there motor home. I actually prefer Butterfly out of all of them in Jackson / Toms River area. Another choice is Turkey Swamp State park which is pretty nice also. Again anything over 36' will get a little tight driving thru and its very reasonable priced. All book up quick. And NY is less than 1.5 hrs. away.

Rich.
rich and char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #12

South Jersey camping.

I worked and visited the south Jersey area always stayed at Timberlane around Paulsboro.The place was safe &very convenient for Philadelphia . I never traveled to NYC though from here.Trenton wasn't too far.Good luck.
shark13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark13 View Post
I worked and visited the south Jersey area always stayed at Timberlane around Paulsboro.The place was safe &very convenient for Philadelphia . I never traveled to NYC though from here.Trenton wasn't too far.Good luck.

Timberland was recently taken over by the KOA chain, buckle up and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:31 AM   #14

Whatever you do, do not go to the "Germantown Supper Club" in the heart of Trenton (if it's still there). I was there in 1962 when a fight broke out between a fellow named Jack Walsh, aka "The Trenton Strongman", a drunken Circus performer, and a quiet African American man who was otherwise minding his own business. Walsh threw a punch at the black man, who deftly blocked the punch with his left, slid off his barstool, and nailed Walsh with a straight right hand to the chin that knocked him out cold. Walsh had picked a fight with the wrong patron, a fellow named "Jersey Joe Wolcott".
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrie View Post
I am planning a trip to see NYC middle to late September. I will be using the Trenton Transit Station to get into the city for sightseeing days. I need recommendation for a campground with full hookup that I ca stay at for 6 nights. I saw a couple in Jackson NJ, Timber Lake or Indian Rock, read not so good reviews which were a couple years old. Thanks in advance!
The way I read this is he wants to use NJ Transit trains to commute to NYC every day of his visit. Campgrounds that are not close to the railroad will be inconvient and time consuming. Does anyone have knowledge of campgrounds near the train stations?

So far Jersey City sounds like best option but How close is the campground to the train station?

OP should also be aware that NJ Transit is getting bad press due to safety issues.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #16

I live about 30 min North of Trenton andI can tell you there are slim pickens for campgrounds,around here. The state parks dont have full hookups, I know nothing about that park in Jersey City, and I wouldn't stay at a place called Jugtown Mountain Campsites off I-78 if they paid me. The parks in Upper Black Eddy in PA may be possibilities, but they are at least two hours from mid town Manhattan on a good day.

There are quite a few decent places in south Jersey, mainly in the shore area, and there is adequate train service to NY Penn Station.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #17

I have been going to Turkey Swamp State Park, Freehold for over 15 years without a problem. If you are looking to get into NYC you can catch the train in Hamilton, NJ and take it in to Penn Station.
Kinaberner007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg