Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

Trip of a Lfetime 2014: The Sequel

In June of 2013 we took our 4 youngest children (age 8, 10, 10.5 & 11) on a 4 week cross country trip from Apex, NC to Manhattan Beach, CA and home. We billed it to the kids as "The Trip of a Lifetime"!

Our kids are now a year older and We're Baaaaack and planning "The Sequel" with a trip through the northeastern states and up through Toronto and Montreal (again leaving from Apex, NC).

Any and all advice, thoughts, routes, and of course places to see and where to camp would be very welcome and appreciated!

As of now our plans include: Kennywood in WV, Kinzua Dam in PA, Letchworth State Park, Corning & Ithaca in NY, Niagara Falls Ontario, Welland Canal Ontario, Toronto, Montreal, Acadia Park Maine, Ben & Jerry's in Vermont. That's about all we have mapped but also plan on Hershey and Lancaster PA.

Let the fun begin!
Thanks
Stacey, Oz, ADF, ALF, GRF & JJF
Traveling in a 2013 Sunseeker with a 2003 Honda Odyssey toad
ofranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #2

Kennywood is in pa not wv, just outside of Pittsburgh in West Mifflin, but sounds like a great trip!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
bluflame11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Camper Less Camping

Sounds great....one day we want to head to Hershey & Ben & Jerry's too one day!

Old 03-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #4

Sounds like a great trip. Letchworth is a great park but if you are entering from the bottom of the park it is very hard on brakes, lots of steep hill and turns. Corning glass factory is quite interesting. Hershy is nice with the amusement park and museum and Lancaster is really nice especially if you are not familiar with the Amish. Also Bird-in-hand, Intercourse, and Strasbourg and it's R.R. and museum. Niagara Falls is a wonder of nature best seen from the Canadian side and the Welland canal is an engineering marvel. Both can be covered from one campground of your choice in two days. Toronto and Montreal are both world class cities with lots to see and do but I don't know about camping facilities. After you leave Toronto, on your way to Montreal, a pleasant diversion from the 401 highway is the St. Lawrence Parkway with campsites available in the park system campgrounds. I don't know how much time you have or if you can speak any french but to be in Quebec and not see old Quebec City with it's stone walls and old buildings is almost a crime, if you have any interest in North American history. It is N.A.'s only walled city and still is fortified as it was centuries ago. It really is beautiful. There was a very nice K.O.A. there when we were there. Just a short ride to the special city bus to the old city (very cheap for a return ticket and free parking just a short walk to the Aquarium) French isn't really necessary if you start all conversations like a Canadian by saying I'm sorry but I don't speak French. Can you help me or by saying do you possibly speak English. We never had any issues and we traveled all through the Gaspe region. It is a tourist oriented area and by and large they are all extremely nice people. Best to remember anywhere that if you don't give attitude you don't get attitude . Good luck with your trip, enjoy yourselves, travel safe and thanks for coming to visit Canada. If you are really lucky the value of your dollar will stay higher than ours to offset higher prices you may find here. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne) P.S. Fill your gas tank before coming across. Ours definitely costs more.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #5

Several years ago, my son and I went on a motorcycle road trip/camping vacation to Northern Vermont. When we arrived in Waterbury, we stayed at the Little River State Park. It was a nice place to pitch our tent for two nights. Our main objective on our father and son adventure was to tour the Ben and Jerry's Factory in Waterbury but we also decided to check out any other "touristy" things that caught our attention. When we saw pamphlets for the Rock of Ages Quarry in Barre, we never thought it would be as interesting as it turned out to be. For a big hole in the ground, we had lots of fun learning about the quarry, bowling on the outdoor granite bowling lane, and my son even got to sandblast a granite souvenir. The quarry tour led us to our next stop, the Hope Cemetery, also in Barre, to see some of the unbelievable granite memorials. I know it sounds a little creepy to visit a cemetery, but the craftsmanship of many of the stones is amazing.

Whatever you and your family decide to do, I wish you safe travels and great memories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad and Alex Road Trip 2008 025.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	48109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad and Alex Road Trip 2008 029.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	48110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad and Alex Road Trip 2008 014.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	48111  
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Strongly suggest the world's highest tide (53' or 54' at the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia. We were there in 08 and it rose and fell 34'. A sight to witness and it does it 2x a day.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #7

Between Toronto and Montreal there is a lot of thing to see and do. There is Old Fort Henry in Kingston, On, you could take a boat ride of the 1000 Islands from Rockport, On(they offer three different cruises), there is Upper Canada Village in Morrisburg, On (a reconstructed village from the 1800's, many of the homes were moved when they put in the St. Lawrence Seaway) dinosaur world also near Morisburg. The Rideau Canal is a must see (built just after the war of 1812). The locks are still operated by hand. The KOA campground in Mallorytown is a great place to stay to visit all the above attractions.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #8

Lake George, ny on the way back from Montreal is worth a stop.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

When we were returning from our eastern trip through the Gaspe and eastern provinces we came through the U.S. and spent three or four days in Montpelier Vt. when the rear pinion bearing blew into the differential on the Avalanche. We had to wait for parts and had a free rental car. Someone suggested we visit the quarry in Granite City and also the Hope Cemetery to view the monuments. We thought they were crazy but went anyway. What a surprise. It was great fun, we bowled on the granite lane, toured the quarry and museum, we got granite samples and we enjoyed the very intricate and unusual grave markers. We will never forget the old couple who had theirs made to resemble an occupied double bed. Well worth the time. Also good to tour the capital building of the smallest capital in the U.S. Very interesting and informative. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)
Old 03-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #10

Be sure to take time to visit old Quebec City in addition to Montreal & Toronto. Also...about 1.5 hours north of Montreal is Mt. Tremblant and Village of St.Jovite.
There is a LOT to do there in the summer despite the fact that it lives off of skiing.
Beautiful area and the kids will love it. Summer Activities - Tremblant Resort

Don't know what your time frame is...but if I were planning a NE trip...I'd try to work in a trip to Nova Scotia...by land and back by hi speed ferry to Maine.

Anyway....have a fun time wherever you end up going!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
MI Camperz

Montreal! Tres Bien!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #12

In Toronto there is a no frills campground, that does offer electricity, water and a dump station, at about $40 a night. It’s the Glen Rouge Campground. TRCA Reservation Service
You won’t find a better location for visiting the city.

In the Kingston/1000 Islands area I would recommend the 1000 Islands/Ivy Lea KOA. If you have the time I would recommend any of; Fort Henry, Canada’s Penitentiary Museum, walking around/dining downtown Kingston, a 1000 Island Cruise (Gananoque Boat line is the best) and Upper Canada Village. I believe if you purchase a ticket to either Fort Henry or Upper Canada Village, it also gets you into both (although, it would take 2 days, because of time to tour/distance between them).

The Montreal South KOA, is close for visiting the city. Walking around the Old Port of Montreal is nice in the summer. There is also a Biodome, which offers several attractions for kids. There are also a few water parks in the area. We have been to the Granby Zoo and enjoyed it. This is a smaller zoo and water park, all at the one location. Friends go each summer, camp and go to the water park at Ski Bromont.

Lake George is a great area to visit. If you are there and have time, look at going to the rodeo, the Painted Pony Rodeo. They usually have shows on Wed, Fri and Saturday nights (don’t bother with their BBQ).
We have also been to Hershey and enjoyed the amusement park and Hershey's Chocolate World. We ate at a good Italian restaurant, Fennici's in Hershey.
ontario_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #13

X2 on Lake George plus, mom and the kids might enjoy Yankee Candle : South Deerfield Village Store Events. The kids can make candles, sculpt their hands in wax and then take a break and have lunch at Chandlers Restaurant.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #14

Trip of a Lfetime 2014: The Sequel

We went here http://www.lakegeorge.com/business/ausable-chasm-976/ it's upstate New York almost by the Canadian border. We thought it was worth the trip.

They say it's the Grand Canyon of New York
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote