Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #1

Trip planner help needed.

Planning our trip down south to mid Florida, looking to try Rt 81 through Pa, to Rt 77, past Charlotte, SC, to Rt 95.

I need to find a couple of safe, clean spots to spend the night, decent Flying J's or whatever. Can anyone provide us with a few ideas? Probably looking in southern Virgina and then southern South Carolina give or take a few miles or hours.

Thanks for the help.

Linda and Tom
Old 12-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #2

Here is a app that can be downloaded to your phone/I pad that locates camping at Walmart stores.
Overnight Parking Wal mart iPhone iPad Android Application - AllStays

Hope this helps?
Old 12-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
Always Learning

Places I have or would stay along I-95 are:
  • Pretty much any campground on the highway sign; they're usually close to the highway and often times have pull-thru sites available
  • Glen Allen, VA - Kosmos Village RV Park - crappy little place, but good for an overnight stop - Campground - Kosmo Village - RV Campground & Mobile Home Park
  • Roanoke Rapids, VA - RV Resort at Carolina Crossroads (has slight "overnighter" discount) - RV Resort @ Carolina Crossroads
  • Dillon, SC - Walmart - quiet/level lot + welcomed us as RVers
  • Rincon, GA - Whispering Pines - level pull thrus, maybe 5-10 miles off of the highway - Whispering Pines - Home
  • Jacksonville, FL - Pecan Park RV Resort - Jacksonville Florida RV Park | Pecan Park RV Resort
  • St. Augustine, FL - Flying J - didn't stay, but have stopped for fuel + food - they have a separate RV parking area that looked like a little campground one December night
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #4

81 to 66 to 17 to 95 nice ride to 95. Download Rvparky and it will give you everything you need, campgrounds, FJ, walmarts.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:22 PM   #5

I like Lake Wateree SP in SC about 1.5 hr south of Charlotte, 10 miles east of I-77, $21 for the night with electric/water. When you leave, continue south around Columbia, take I-26 east to I-95.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #6

This flyingJ near the intersection of I77 & 81 is one of the new Travel Plazas
with separate RV gas & services (propane/diesel/gas/dump/air) lanes and RV parking separate from the trucks and both a Denny's and a Wendy's. We stopped there this past September & were quite happy with it. BTW...any location they designate as a Travel Plaza in their on line listings comes with these amenities or similar.
Pilot Flying J
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #7

X2 jergeod. Our snowbird trip mid-January from NEPA makes stops in Fredreicksburg, VA (motel), South of the Border (NC/SC) line, GA/FL line, then into FL. We don't stay overnight in Walmart, etc., etc.
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #8

Hello there, We are also new to this forum and new RV owners, we are very exited, and for Xmas we want to go from Miami to Nashville, NC and then to Massanutten, VA with our 3 kids in our FR3, no car attached. However, my wife prefers to drive our SUV rather than to take the RV due to the unknown weather conditions, but I insist on take it regardless on this almost 2k miles road trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated? Thank you
Marine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #9

I sure wouldn't do it in snow. You also have to cross the Blue Ridge Mts. or Smokies to get to Masnutten. If they're making snow..I wouldn't go.
IMO...adults can do as they please...but you're new at this and you put your family at risk at this time of year. I don't think the "to Nashville" portion of the trip is risky if you wait out bad weather and don't need to "push" for time and stick to 75/24. Even 40 to Knoxville has challenges in bad weather but 81 has a lot more.
Good luck with the decision making & congrats on the new coach.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
I Break Everything

Don't plan to leave home without it...
RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #11

Last year, w/o RV, we came down Rt 81, eventually to Rt 95, had to pull over to motel in mid Virginia, over a foot of snow on the car in the morning. NC was a frozen ice mess, everything, I mean everything was coated in ice. Roads were OK at that point, but there were dozens of abandoned cars, some flipped on their roofs, we stopped at a restaurant to eat, it was like ghost town, nobody was out, except us . SC slowly warmed and once we hit Georgia it was in the 40's, JAX was in the 50's. If you need to go, take the SUV and watch the weather.

Don't you realize what your wife will do, if something happens while in the RV, she will torture you forever. 😉. I understand your desire, we only have 1 trip under our belt too, but safety is paramount. Sliding on ice with a 14,700 lb RV is not my idea of a good time. Your time to RV will come soon enough.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #12

If your a history buff, and have a day to spend....Kings Mt state park,
Kings Mountain Hiking - Kings Mountain Campground - Kings Mountain State Park
Kings Mountain National Military Park (U.S. National Park Service)
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #13
KJPapa

We use campgroundreviews.com in conjunction with the Allstays RV app and have never gone wrong. Allstays gives info on campgrounds, truck stops,
Walmarts, low overpasses, etc., etc.; and campgroundreviews.com gives extensive reviews on most of the campgrounds where you might want to stay.
kjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote