Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #1

Trip Planning New England - Mid Atlantic

We are new to camping having done a few trips within a few hours of home and staying at one campground. What is the best planning site/tool to provide help with longer trips and multi campgrounds? We are loving our Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S. Sorry to see the snow outside but now is the time to do some spring planning. Thanks for the help!!
NH Mike and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #2

Once I figure out where and how we want to go I use the link below to look for campgrounds, now keep in mind you might have to read between the lines on the reviews because everyone's taste is different. I then narrow it down more by checking the actual campground websites that fit into our travel plans. Good luck on your searches.

Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Mike and Carol View Post
We are new to camping having done a few trips within a few hours of home and staying at one campground. What is the best planning site/tool to provide help with longer trips and multi campgrounds? We are loving our Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S. Sorry to see the snow outside but now is the time to do some spring planning. Thanks for the help!!
If your looking for an all inclusive trip exclusive to RVs then look here...

rvtripwizard.com

It’s not free but it is a great tool for planning...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
Always Learning

I have a post about how we do trip planning:
https://learntorv.com/lets-go-trip-p...-and-websites/

Longest story shortest, I like the Trip Planner at www.RVParky.com. It's nice and simple and free.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Mike and Carol View Post
It’s a little long but here is why I recommend rvtripwizard.com..

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-193214-4.html

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
Retired Panpsychist

RV Trip Wizard ($) - use mainly for routing.

AllStays Pro ($) - for campgrounds and filtering by campground type and Good Sam/Passport America acceptance.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #7

Best tool for totally inclusive route planning and campground selection is RV Trip Wizard which costs I think $39 a year and is simply excellent.
As a good sam member I also have used and like their FREE on line trip planner to plan routes and campgrounds but also use the Campground Reviews site for fully detailed reviews of each park and things to do while there. RV Trip Wizard has Campground reviews connected directly to the app so everything is in one place.
Once you narrow things down a bit...this site is also a good place to ask about best roads and campgrounds etc.
Have Fun and don't wait to make your reservations. I just booked next Labor Day! Things get crowded once school lets out and some popular campgrounds can be full even at the beginning of the year.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #8

One other thing that you may want to do is check out Google maps (maps.google.com). Their aerial view of the campground will tell you a lot about spaces between sites, distance from major highways, etc. After spending a night at a highly-recommended RV park that happened to be located about a quarter mile from a very busy interstate, I learned my lesson.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #9

Allstays.com is a nice trip planning app. It's not a free app but it's worth the cost.
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #10

Planning

We use RV trip Wizard, it owns RV Campsite Review. We have used it to plan several 6 week trips. Worth the $40 a year. They have a free demo to see what it will do, no sign up. If you have a friend that is also a member, you can send Itineraries w/ several key strokes.We use this to trade enjoyable stop locations w/ friends.
Check it out, puts all reservations in a spread sheet w/ reservation phone numbers and addresses, mileage between stops, many more etc. Great tool for info and organization.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #11

If you are coming east plan to visit Canada----New Brunswick--Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia.....I would be very happy to give you any info re camping etc....Jim
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #12

I don't know where you are starting from or even where you want to go. Mid-Atlantic and New England would take up about 8 weeks if you wanted to just hit the highlights. Maine is a good 2 week trip, and if you want to hit the White Mtns that's another 3-4 days then you have the Salem/Boston area that could take a week to see all it has to offer. Then head on down the seaboard and take in NJ and even NYC for another week or two.

You get where I'm going with this? IF you just want to drive thru, that's easy, but if you want to see the sites, it's going to take some time.

Narrow it down for us a bit.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #13

I'm a big fan too of RVParky and CampgroundReviews.com. Both free, with Parky you can pick your destination, look up parks they show then go to Reviews to get a better idea if a campground will work for you or not. It is also a great tool to use while on the road. If you plan to stop for a night or two and you feel you'll drive another hour, your co-pilot can start checking out campgrounds ahead and calling to check availability or book.

You read a lot of positive reviews on Allstays and RV TripWizard. I have never tried them but I get what I need from free sites, and there are many with your phone apps, and using Parky, etc. I try to eliminate costs where ever I can, even minimal amounts like $40 per year because before you know it your camping travels aren't so in-expensive anymore.

Don't neglect to use TripAdvisor or Google reviews to get a little different take on campgrounds and the surrounding area either heading to for a longer stay, or just an overnighter but you might want to go out for dinner vs. cooking in your rig.

Invest in a good RV GPS like something from Garmin. This is my preferred routing method with my motor home with a car in tow. Sure, we use Google Maps on our phones as backups or secondary, but GPS doesn't lose signals like cell phones. Also, the RV GPS will route you away from low underpasses, tunnels with propane restrictions, twisty curvey roads and more.

I hope this helps, enjoy the wonderful world of camping! Love the outdoors!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #14

Planning

I have used Allstays and RV Trip Wizard. If I did not have Trip Wizard I would use Allstays for weekend trips. Far planning longer trips, RV Trip Wizard is far superior as it has better integration w/ RV Campsite Review and has soo many more features. We have GS, Harvest Host, and Passport America discounts. I can put this into RV Trip along w/ trailer info, and it highlights these first. Same w/ State and National park, height restrictions, fuel mileage and other preferences. You can put in preferred gas stations and how far you want to drive in a day. For planning 6-8 wk trips it is worth it to me to have a spread sheet printed w/ all trip information addresses, phone numbers, and reservation #'s. I also send it to my phone and kids so they know dates and numbers to contact us. I would rather spend time camping than building spreadsheets.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #15
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
...{snip}...I would rather spend time camping than building spreadsheets.
Been there. Done that. RV Trip Wizard = done with that.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote