Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Obviously many don't understand the principles of online check payments.
It isn't any more risky than handing someone a physical check that has all the routing numbers printed right on it for everyone to see.

Like a physical check, an online check payment is a ONE TIME process and the numbers/information provided during the transaction cannot be used to do additional transactions, just the same way as a physical check can't be cashed twice.

Many business are preferring this method as it cuts out the middle man (credit card companies) and their fees. Bank to bank transfers have no associated fees.

I know many balk at the idea of any kind of online transaction but get used to it... it is the way things are headed.
True a check can't be cashed twice, but a bank account and routing number can be entered as payment information for a lot of shopping websites. And once that money is gone, it's really difficult to get it back again.

The risk between online and physical checks are similar as long as the businesses handling them take proper security measures. But if they don't, the online version is accessible to a much, much larger number of people.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #22

It's not a bad campground, we stayed there about 3-4 years ago. I believe we mailed them a check to hold our reservation. I believe previous comments are correct, they are just avoiding credit card fees.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUFan1 View Post
It's not a bad campground, we stayed there about 3-4 years ago. I believe we mailed them a check to hold our reservation. I believe previous comments are correct, they are just avoiding credit card fees.
Don't get me wrong! I will be staying there again; and mail them my check.
I was just saying that not holding with a credit card, while not common, is also not unheard of.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Don't get me wrong! I will be staying there again; and mail them my check.

I was just saying that not holding with a credit card, while not common, is also not unheard of.

I'd rather stay at Otter Lake if I'm in that area. One of our top campgrounds.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #25

Wouldn't you think that a campground that promotes online advance reservations but doesn't take credit cards is self defeating? I have encountered businesses that will accept a credit card for a deposit on products to be delivered to a local establishment where I would then be required to pay by cash or check. The same scenario at least twice for campground reservations, one I telephoned for a reservation at a CG in Georgia, paid one nights stay with a credit card over the phone, but was told my balance would only be payable by check or cash when we arrived at the CG, which was no problem with being told in advance. Worked for me and by this method the CG minimized their credit card percentage pay out and I can only guess that this allowed them to offer lower per night rates.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #26

Never give access.

With the state of affairs and all the hacking going on I would NEVER give anyone access to my banking accounts. To go further I never allow a site, no matter how "Secure" remember my user name or, even worse, my password. Yes I know that information is supposed to be stored in your machine and not accessible but as a former IT Tech I know better than to trust unknown parties.

Insofar as the cancellation policy, if there is a legitimate, provable reason for cancelling then any reputable campground should make an exception even if it is a just credit toward a future reservation.

Thanks for the heads up
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #27

I'm pretty careful about who I give bank numbers too and PayPal I don't use anymore. I usually ask when I set up the reservations about if it's cheaper to pay with cash once I check in. I know a campground on the coast that doesn't accept credit cards, only a check or cash. On the road I check my bank account and credit card accounts everyday.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #28

Mountain Vista Campground

We spent a week at this Campground in October of last year. It is a very nice campground and the owners will go out of their way to make your stay as great as they can. We were there (unbeknownst to us) during one of their Halloween Weekend celebrations (although it wasn't Halloween) and they went all out to show all the kids a super good time. They had fire truck rides, including the siren, throughout the campground, the campers had a contest to see who could decorate their campsite in their best Halloween motif, and after the trick or treating was done, there was a big wienie roast down by the pool. A great time was had by all (& our kids are grown & gone).

When we made our reservations, we had a week to get our deposit to them. We mailed a check and then paid the balance upon check-in. Being we were in TN, I questioned what would happen if our deposit didn't arrive on time and was told they do allot for the mail delivery slow downs. Never did they ever ask for an on-line payment and I can't imagine why anyone would do this. If you had mailed a check, you could have stopped payment, if the need be. Nonetheless, their cancellation policy is very clear and, if you did have to cancel, one would imagine they would have offered to book you at another time during the year in order to avoid losing your deposit. However, this Campground does close the end of October and you might have been too late to have been carried forward.

Like they say, there are always two sides to every story. I would like to hear Mountain Vista's side of the story as well. I don't feel it fair to bad mouth them without having equal time on the podium.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #29
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flnomad View Post
Never again. Booked a week at Mountain Vista in East Stroudsburg, Pa. For Sept 5th. They required a $75 deposit by on-line check. Very unusual that they would not accept credit card but later discovered why.

They will not return your deposit if you have to cancel, no matter the circumstances. We had an accident that was going to take 6 weeks to repair.

Not a very user friendly campground and this will be the last time that I will get trapped into using the on-line check.

My question is:

Would you still be complaining if they let you pay the deposit with a credit card?

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #30
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
My question is:

Would you still be complaining if they let you pay the deposit with a credit card?

Tim
I doubt we'll get an answer.
I asked that same question in post # 7.
I think the OP has left the building.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #31

I understand the concern about giving out account info as it can be misused, but the OP is not claiming it was misused. It sounds as though he wanted to use a credit card so that he could deny the charge if he cancelled. Clearly their policy said no cancel within that time frame so I don't see any misuse, or justification for a complaint.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #32
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I understand the concern about giving out account info as it can be misused, but the OP is not claiming it was misused. It sounds as though he wanted to use a credit card so that he could deny the charge if he cancelled. Clearly their policy said no cancel within that time frame so I don't see any misuse, or justification for a complaint.
And what would have happened is the CC company would have looked into the charge, seen that it was not fraudulent, and he'd still be on here moaning about the how the non-customer friendly campground screwed him, and probably with a big helping of crap for the no-good CC company that help them screw him.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #33

Also people who think they can pay by check,then "Issue a Stop Payment" will find out your Bank will "Charge a Fee" for this also! Youroo!!
Old 09-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #34

We had a 20 day trip planned across New England for early July. Had reservations with 8 or 9 campgrounds. Broke my leg two weeks before trip and had to cancel. Only one charged a fee, $10. Interestingly, a couple called on the day we were supposed to arrive, asking if we were still coming. Seems their staff didn't remove the reservation. Both seemed to understand, must be a common occurrence w. their part time help. Pretty easy when you call for a reservation to tell if you are talking to a manager, or a part timer.
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check