Old 02-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #11

Cherry Hill is a great cg, but the noise from the interstate is kinda brutal!

Old 02-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #12

Prince William Forest National Park - Quantico

Has anyone ever camped at this National Park CG? I would appreciate reviews, opinions, etc. Will be pulling a 30ft travel trailer and staying perhaps 5 nights with day trips to DC and local Civil War sites. We are fine to get water and electric sites and use the provided bath houses.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #13

Another vote for Cherry Hill.Great place as has been said.Buses to the subway and very friendly and helpful people. We were there in September last year.We stayed 10 days. Lots to see in the Dc area. We were there when the Pope was there.Didn't even try to go into town that day. Went to Mt.Vernon and that area.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #14
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga99 View Post
Has anyone ever camped at this National Park CG? I would appreciate reviews, opinions, etc. Will be pulling a 30ft travel trailer and staying perhaps 5 nights with day trips to DC and local Civil War sites. We are fine to get water and electric sites and use the provided bath houses.
Here's a review of the CG from a woman in our camping club VACampers.
"Two weeks ago we went for the weekend to Prince William Forest Park formerly known as Travel Trailer Village. It is located in Prince William County near I/95 and Dumfries/Prince William Parkway. It is a federal park but is managed by a private company that owns several KOAs.

The Prince William Forest Park is beautiful. The campground is close to the DC area so it is convenient for a quick weekend trip for those who live in N. VA. The park is well maintained...the host is very friendly.

The drawbacks of the campground is that you have to get on the freeway from the campground to enter the park. Prince William Forest Park is a huge park for being in a metro area. The campground is in the back opposite the entry to the park.

One major problem with the park is the sites are very, very small. Many rigs had their back ends in the street. There is also no room to open your awning. Ours was hanging out in the street. We setup our BBQ and campfire in the street and sat around it. Luckily the sites are at an angle and there are two roads on each side...We were at the end so the only traffic that came down the street was on the "outbound" road.

Overall...I am not sure if I would go again...but it was worth it going once. I prefer a little more room in my site."

This used to be a private campground and has that feel as opposed to what you'd expect from a federal CG. Also, her rig is larger than your Roo.
Hope this helps.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #15

Cherry Hill Campground........hands down the best. Stayed there in Sept and used all the amenities. Buses come right to the campground, go to Metro with access to all areas, no need to drive there, Unless you want to. A little pricey but well worth it. Freeway noise did not hear it nor was bothered by it. But that is very subjective and depends on where your site is in the park. Would highly recommend.

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #16

Capital KOA, is nice too. They also have buses, which transport to DC.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #17

VA Campgrounds

There is a nice KOA just outside Charlottesville, VA where we stayed a few years back. Very close to Monticello. Also, make sure to visit James Madison's home about 22 miles NE of Charlottesville, named Montpelier. Madison and Thomas Jefferson were close friends, and visited each other's homes on many occasions. When you visit Monticello, ask about the guy in the tweed jacket who skateboarded down the driveway back in 1965. That was me!!
Old 02-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #18

Capital KOA great place they have a shuttle service to DC or you can drive to metro and park your car metro is about 20 mins from camp ground shuttle take about 45 min to capital
Old 02-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #19

KOA Campground Charlottesville, Charlottesville, Virginia 22903 - 3825 Red Hill Rd, From Jct I-64 (Ex 121), go 8.5 mi S on Hwy 20, then 1.5 mi W on SR 708., GPS: 37.93092, -78.56569
Old 02-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #20

If your military,active or retired, Ft Belvoir is great. It is close to the Franconia Metro station in Springfield,VA TO GO INTO DC

Tags
mpg