Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #21

I agree with the posts suggesting to check for cancellations on reserve America daily. We have snagged cancellation spots in most parks with this method. It is a pain but here in Florida, people book immediately at the 6 , 9 or 12 month booking window cut off then check their schedules later to find they can't go then cancel.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:30 AM   #22

For the State Parks if you haven't booked 11 months ahead youre pretty well SOL. I would try Gainesville State Park about two weeks before you go. They seem to get a lot of cancellations. I use it as a waystop before heading south of the Orlando/Sarasota line that I have booked 11 months ahead.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:32 AM   #23

Ohhhh my! Camping is getting to be sooo much fun. Just grab a few things, hit roads to explore, know your Wally World available parking lots and roll! Ohhh, in south Florida, be sure you speak FRENCH as your new neighbors do! Some may even talk to you. ( lighten up northern buds, you know you clique )
The pretty brochures paint an ideal backdrop. TRUE if you are rolling along. Monthly spots are nearly impossible on any Florida coast. I tried 3 months ago for February, got nutt'n!! Go inland is your solution!
If you are a SENIOR CITIZEN WITH HEALTH ISSUES, be sure you
investigate medical service
availability. Campground may appear fine, won't be too fine if you need a GOOD HOSPITAL at 2am!!
Your new Florida norm: $2,000 plus a month ( premium parks) Beverly Beach and that area expect $100/day. Same in Destin on those private campgrounds, $80 way off the beach!!
Patience! Perseverance! Patience!
Maybe roll a little smoke to
Mellow it all down man....u kno wa I sa! 😂
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #24
o

You might try pellicer creek campground just outside of st. Augustine. They book up early but can get a few days sometimes. Gerry will work with you if he can. We normally spend Jan. and Feb. there
bobuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #25

You Floridians need to scream bloody murder to your legislators and take back your state parks. They need to put a solid rule in place where Florida residents get preference for sites in your state park system. What happens from December to April in your state parks is beyond ridiculous, I witnessed it first hand while I was working in Melbourne a few years ago.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #26
I Break Everything

Ha! I find it funny people wanna come down here in the colder months to live in the heat, and all I wanna do is go where the snow is during the colder months. We live in central Texas. There really is no winter anymore, but I live to ski, yes live, to ski. Christmas attire - shorts and a golf shirt in our parts. I understand long term stays vs skiing. Even in Central to South Texas it's difficult to get RV descent spots during those months.

Our kids are in college in at the University of Texas at San Antonio...not a bad deal when visiting. They get $$$ and taken out to eat and we get to visit San Antonio regularly. Except colder months. Our usual haunts are packed.

We weren't in the RV, but once we got snowed in at LaGuardia. My kids were so excited for the "2nd vacation." I was dressed to go back to TX. Shorts and Golf Shirt - I got lots of odd looks and a few people did question me. Just told them we're headed back to Texas, it's in the mid 80's now. Cab driver, laughed, "where you goin', Jamaica?" What are the chances same driver picked us up from the airport to our "2nd vacation" hotel. That as five more unexpected days in NYC due to airport closures. Which was actually better than the first week.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #27

We too live in Florida, just about a mile from the Gulf. We enjoy camping during our cooler weather but it is very difficult to secure camp sites. We have booked camp sites for at least one weekend each month but we reserved them months ago. We are planning to visit Yellowstone in June 2017 and have already reserved all the camp sites for the trip. The choice is either plan months ahead of your trip or wing it. I prefer to have reservations. We are already thinking about a 2018 Maine trip.

Hope you enjoy your trip
2010 Ford F150 4 X 4

2016 nights camped 31
FLGrandCampers is offline   Reply With Quote