Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #1

Vacation ideas?

Okay, just took the plunge at a local rv show and bought a new flagstaff 5th wheel, 8528BHWS. We've been campers as a family since our twins were born and they are now 9. I've been a camper all my life with my family growing up. I'm looking for ideas for a new family experience. We have done the jersey shore, myrtle beach, PA, and Mass. I want to see some more of the country and expos our kids to new and different places.

I'm looking for an August vacation lasting a week to ten days. We live in the lower Hudson valley of NY and am toying with the idea of a great lakes vacation. I'm curious if anyone has thoughts or suggestions on campgrounds and or must sees. I'm excited to travel to new places and would love some seasoned advice. (I'd also love some warnings of things better left undone)

Many thanks

Andy
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Always Learning

For a week to 10-days, we looked at going from MD to Williamsburg for a few days and then down to Great Smoky Mountain area (Cherokee, NC). A little history and then a little great wilderness.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #3

We spent a week in June in the Watkins Glen, NY area. Stayed at the KOA there. It's a beautiful area and would recommend the KOA.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Have you ever been to upper Michigan? The area around Mackinaw City (where the lower and upper peninsula are joined by the Mackinac Bridge) is a great place. The bridge spans Lake Michigan on the west and Lake Huron on the east and is the longest suspension bridge in the western hemisphere. Step back into time by taking a ferry to Mackinac Island where cars are prohibited and travel is by horse, bicycle or foot. There's a wonderful historical fort and so much more. It's a great place for your 9 year olds. There are both private and state campgrounds nearby and you can't go wrong either way. You can take a day trip to St. Ignace and watch the international ships traverse the Soo straits between the U.S. and Canada. There is so much more and even though I live in south-central Michigan, we still go there annually. Have fun planning your next adventure.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #5

We did the west/north shore on Lake Superior in Minnesota the past 4th of July week. It was amazing. Go to my profile and you will see an album. This is a "must do" trip in my opinion.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #6

These are great ideas and exactly what I'm looking for. The Mrs. Needs some convincing on my ideas so this all helps in the persuasion. We have never been to Michigan and I think this is such a doable journey for us, I'm excited to do some research. Thanks for the input!
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #7

One of our most memorable vacations was KENTUCKY. So much to see and do. Kentucky horse park, Distilleries. Churchill downs, the capital (Frankfurt), Mammoth cave, Lincoln's birthplace The mountains, Ohio River boats, Stephen Foster Story outdoor musical/drama. List is endless. We used to do "theme tour" vacations when our kids were still home, and Ky was one of the best vacations we had. Nope, I'm not from Ky, nor is SWMBO, and we don't even know anyone who lives there!!! Of course, if you want to travel a little further, come on down to the Tar Heel state - even better!!!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Always Learning

We also did a few days in northern Ohio in Jefferson. We spent a day and could have spent another driving around the covered bridge tour of Ashtabula County. On our way there, we stopped at the 9/11 Memorial in Shanksville, PA. And on our way back, stopped in Pittsburg to see some friends (though, Pittsburg has a lot to do!).
Old 11-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
Always Learning

Also, if you've never done the DC-thing, going to Cherry Hill is the "in place" to go for site seeing (though, there are cheaper but less convenient places to go). There is so much to do and see here.