Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine from NC

Will be traveling to Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine from NC in September. Was hoping for some ideas for a central area to camp in each state. This is sight seeing vacation and train rides. Don't care much about driving 1-95. We are young seniors, really just need a nice campground. Don't have to have pools, etc.

Thanks so much
Kate
marykatebsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #2

Acadia National Park in Maine is beautiful. It's probably 4-5 hours from the NH border and is well worth the trip. Last summer we spent a few days there and also stopped at two other area's on the way back down. Next time we will just spend the whole time in Acadia and skip the rest.

"It's okay for a man to smell like bacon"
Paulpro4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

X2 on Acadia. Some great hikes there, whale watching, sunrise on Cadillac mountain, bar harbor fun to visit.
Scottnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The north/central area of NH is very nice in the White Mountains. You could auto-tour Mt Washington, Kancamagus Highway, Franconia Notch. Some very nice trails that aren't too strenuous.

We've stayed at Lost River Valley Campground near Lincoln, NH which we found to be very nice. The NH state parks and White Mountain NF parks don't have any hook-ups of any kind.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
When you say Maine-NH-Vt, it will depend where you plan on traveling. there are so many campgrounds in all three states. From Old Orchard Beach to Lake Champaign in Vermont to all beautiful campgrounds in NH. Just bring your camera and enjoy yourself, live free or die is our motto.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #6

Me, nh, vt

As a native "Mainah", I can tell you that while the coast of Maine is beautiful, there are some equally beautiful spots to see in the western lakes and mountains of Maine. If you're in northeast NH, take Route 16 north to the Maine border, and continue east to the Rangeley, Mooselookmeguntic, and Moosehead Lakes area. And if you have time, further southeast to the Belgrade Lakes area will be well worth the trip. If you happen to be traveling through this area in late September, you'll be right in the middle of the New England foliage season, and it can't be beat. Happy touring!
Mike&Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #7

Gotta say the NH, Vermont area is beautiful.

I highly suggest it, especially Franconia Notch and the Kangusmangus highway.

2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2109S
2013 Silverado 1500 5.3
Equalizer E2

Home Is Where You Park It
cruz305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Nan View Post
As a native "Mainah", I can tell you that while the coast of Maine is beautiful, there are some equally beautiful spots to see in the western lakes and mountains of Maine. If you're in northeast NH, take Route 16 north to the Maine border, and continue east to the Rangeley, Mooselookmeguntic, and Moosehead Lakes area. And if you have time, further southeast to the Belgrade Lakes area will be well worth the trip. If you happen to be traveling through this area in late September, you'll be right in the middle of the New England foliage season, and it can't be beat. Happy touring!
How are the roads in that area as I tow a 36'ft 5vr? Do you see any problems?
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #9

What is your definition of a "nice" campground? Does that include hookups, or do you boondock too?

In terms of things to see if you like railroads the Kinzua State Park in Pennsylvania is pretty cool. It's an old railroad trestle they converted part of into a walking path after a tornado wrecked the center half of it. We went there this past spring and stayed at Tompkins Campground about 2 hours away in Tioga PA. They had full hookups there and I highly recommend that campground. It was very nice and very clean.

In VT there is the Green Mountain Flyer from Bellows Falls VT to Chester VT that is fairly picturesque I hear (I have never taken it, but I grew up just outside of BF). You can go to Allen Brothers in Westminster VT and get the best apple cider donuts. If you go early in the morning they will still be warm and crunchy... Yum!! I don't know of any campground personally to stay at in that area. Like I said I am from there, we are thinking about checking out Crown Point Campground in Wethersfield VT for a possible month long rental next year. My sister lives in that area, and she said she's heard it's fairly nice there, but again, has never stayed there, so take it with a grain of salt.

Smugglers Notch in VT is supposed to be beautiful, I know a lot of people from here in CT that frequent the area. Route 100 in VT is one of the top 10 roads in VT for beauty.

I have never "vacationed" in New Hampshire, sorta always felt weird to me since it's where I'm from!!

That said we have traveled the northern part of Maine a lot. Like people above said Route 16 is beautiful. We have stayed at only State Parks in Maine, so there's no amenities. But my all time favorite campground for atmosphere and nice wooded sites is Peaks-Kenney in Dover-Foxcroft. If you get to that area, go to the Nor'easter Restaurant. Best clam chowder... ever.

One of the most picturesque campgrounds we've been to is Lamoine just outside Acadia National Park. From there you can go to Bar Harbor and Acadia, both of which are amazing, there's an autoroad (no campers) up Cadillac Mountain in Acadia which is breathtaking. But a favorite of mine is Schoodic Point, which is actually on the mainland side of Acadia, and kind of off the beaten path.

If you go up Route 1 far enough, and like bridges and/or history, take a look at the Penobscot Narrows Observatory, it's in the pier of a 400' high bridge pier and has awesome views. We lost ourselves there for a day at the Bridge and then meandering around Fort Knox at the bottom of the bridge. It was really cool... Of course I'm an engineer, so I totally got to nerd out there for the day!!

Good luck!! It's a beautiful area over all, so you really can't go wrong. Most of the major roads would be more than able handle your rig.
2014 Nights Camped: 15
ld_engnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
ld_engnr.....nice job explaining, we do have a beautiful New England to visit and live.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote