Old 07-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #11

Love your sense of adventure mate!. Hows my Aussie. Let us know in this thread what your antisapation and specific type of camping (i.e. Nat'l Pks, or RV pk, etc.). Also, your interests you want to visit while in those states. That way others can give you their expierences along the route. Welcome to the forum.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
RFK

http://www.assateagueisland.com/rClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405170653.865678.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	57987

2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #13

Kola,

All good advice on this site. Welcome and enjoy your visit. I met a Aussie from Alice Springs last week while on an Alaskan Cruise...small world. If you take the inland route, I-75, I suggest you stay a few days at the Kentucky Horse Park in between Lexington, Ky and Georgetown, Ky. This is my "neck of the woods" and a great area to "sample" the thoroughbred horse industry and bourbon distilleries. The "Bourbon Trail" is very popular and you can visit a few distilleries in one day. By starting in Orlando I suggest you stay at Fort Wilderness at Disney World and enjoy the "House of the Mouse" for a few days. Travel north up I-75 to Stone Mountain, Ga, just outside of Atlanta. Great campground on the lake facing the giant stone monolith that is Stone Mountain. The laser show at night on the face of the mountain is a site to behold. Then on up to the Knoxville, Tn area and visit the Great Smokey Mountains. Lots of great campgrounds but I recommend the one illustrated in the pic above by CT Camper. The Anchor Down campground is spectacularly beautiful and located I Sevierville, Tn, just a short side trip on I40 east. This will give you reasonable access to the Smokey's from the north entrance. Next stop, my suggestion in Lex, Ky. You may like it so much you may want to "stay and sit a spell". From Lex head back east on I-64 toward Charleston, West Virginia for an overnight stay or the Beckley area. You could stop in that area for an exhilarating white water trip on the New River. Continue on I-64 east to Richmond, Virginia for a trip to Colonial Williamsburg and a peak into colonial American history. The KOA is a recommended campground at this location. It's a short drive from there to Washington, DC, a must see. Cherry Hill park is the closest campground to DC and has bus service into the city and monument viewing areas. From DC on up to Philadelphia and New York. I am not familiar with campgrounds in those areas. Reservations are a MUST at this time of year, especially on the weekends. If you decide to come through Lexington, Ky, send me a PM and I will arrange to meet you as the KY Horse Park is about 6m from my house. Again, Welcome and enjoy!!
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
RFK

This is a National Park on the shores of Maryland. We had a great time last year with the wild ponies ! Welcome and enjoy, I hope you have a great time here
2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #15

x2 Assateague Island National Seashore is a must see if you like the beach. Reservations are a must here. The National Park is all dry dock camping (no hookups) but the Maryland State campground has electric sites. If you have a 4 Wheel drive you can get an off-road permit to drive on the beach.

Likewise I hear the Outer Banks in North Carolina are beautiful in summer (haven't been there yet though).

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your holiday in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

If you have any interest in NASCAR, you need to make a slight detour over to Charlotte, NC. NASCAR Hall of Fame and Lowes Speedway are easy to get to. Rick Hendricks shops are about 2 miles from the Track. Also in the same area is the world's only 4 lane drag strip and a humongous mall.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #17

Kola, an early Welcome! to the U.S.A.. When you arrive a good website to check out campgrounds as you work your way north from Florida is RVParkReviews.Com. Gives excellent info on what amenities each campground has to offer, a 1-10 rating system on the CG itself and a link to each CG's website. Good Luck on your trip, and if you plan on visiting Niagara Falls when in New York give a shout and I could help give more detailed info on the area.

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote