Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2020, 07:42 AM   #1

We made it to Florida

Our first winter away from Iowa
We traveled last week and pushed ahead of some bad weather coming Iowa way.
We had two days of high winds and that was a pain in our SS 2500, pulling a GMC Canyon,25 mph crosswinds gave my biceps a work out.
We didn't camp coming down as I still was winterized.
My baseplate came a little loose going thru the crap roads of Memphis but a open end wrench on the bolts fixed that . Ill need to tighten them again with some locktite before the treck home in late march,and will be sure and give my installer a little tip on that issue.
Our spot here is in Bradenton 2 miles from the beach and looks to be a great park. Sarasota Bay RV park , a mix of longtermers and then many 3 to 6 monthers.
Today is predicated to be -1 and 5 to 8 inches of snow in Iowa,I'm typing this in my shorts and t shirt on the patio with a cup of coffee.
Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:54 AM   #2

Toooo bad,

You are missing out on all the fun. No snow angels, no cardio shovelling your side walks, no snow on your car seat.... Iowa may save some April snow for you.
Enjoy- we will be passing thru in a few weeks lol
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #3

After reading this I am even more anxious to head to Key West. We don't leave for a few weeks but like you wrote, we are about to get hit with snow, ice and wind then below 0 temps. Glad your trip went well, always worry when making that long of a journey. Especially this year as it will be our first pulling the fifth wheel with a gas truck versus our past diesel. Have a great stay and have fun from a fellow Iowan just waiting for the storm.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #4

Come to the sun and enjoy .
Old 01-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
We had two days of high winds and that was a pain in our SS 2500, pulling a GMC Canyon,25 mph crosswinds gave my biceps a work out.
My baseplate came a little loose going thru the crap roads of Memphis but a open end wrench on the bolts fixed that . Ill need to tighten them again with some locktite before the treck home in late march,and will be sure and give my installer a little tip on that issue.
Our spot here is in Bradenton 2 miles from the beach and looks to be a great park. Sarasota Bay RV park , a mix of longtermers and then many 3 to 6 monthers.
Today is predicated to be -1 and 5 to 8 inches of snow in Iowa,I'm typing this in my shorts and t shirt on the patio with a cup of coffee.

Yep!

Yesterday it was 86 degrees, and wife said "Maybe we moved TOO far south".

LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #6

86 just means more ice beverages, and a dip in the ocean to cool off.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
86 just means more ice beverages, and a dip in the ocean to cool off.
Yep... even ocean water temps are 10º warmer than average.
It was warm at the Tampa R/V show yesterday!

Welcome to FL and enjoy!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:45 AM   #8
Always Learning

Near Bradenton is a place called Shake Station. It's not much more than a double-wide trailer that serves food + ice cream, but we absolutely love it there.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yep... even ocean water temps are 10º warmer than average.
It was warm at the Tampa R/V show yesterday!

Welcome to FL and enjoy!

IF you are around the Tampa area, stop at Plant City and enjoy some fresh strawberries.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #10

On our way to Fl

We left Denver last week on our way to Fl. Via Okla city, Waco, Austin, San Antonio, and then due East via ten. Some parts are great others just need a lot of repairs. Currently in New Orleans. Have plans to be in Orlando by next week. Did hit wind and rain going south and fog in San Antonio.

Hopefully will get some more sun by the time we arrive in Orlando
jshaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:23 PM   #11

Hi!
We are great fans of Iowa, being north in Manitoba Canada; have left our RV in Charles City in the fall. This year took it home to north of Winnipeg then left late Dec. to face freezing rain, blizzards and finally torrential rain through 3 States until we reached Leesburg FL. WHEWWW! Glad to be here!
ross0547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:24 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDON View Post
IF you are around the Tampa area, stop at Plant City and enjoy some fresh strawberries.
Been there, done that, yesterday!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:54 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaw1 View Post
We left Denver last week on our way to Fl. Via Okla city, Waco, Austin, San Antonio, and then due East via ten. Some parts are great others just need a lot of repairs. Currently in New Orleans. Have plans to be in Orlando by next week. Did hit wind and rain going south and fog in San Antonio.

Hopefully will get some more sun by the time we arrive in Orlando
This coming week has some cool temperatures in the forecast- high of about 60 for Mon/Tue/Wed, I think. Bounces back, though.

Whereabouts are you staying?
Old 01-17-2020, 09:49 PM   #14

One of our favorite dives with great food right nearby at Cortez Kitchens (and a seafood market). Also if you do brew do not miss these in Bradenton: 3 Keys Brewing, Good Liquid or Motorworks (& if Little Giant will let you in his beer is great... just can't get formally open). Get in the water off Longboat key and do the sand dollar shuffle - (just don't take home too many- fun to find).
Enjoy your 'winter' ... the reason I moved down here from Syracuse is exactly what is going on right now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15622121_335516890168640_2163704824103811500_n.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	222000   Click image for larger version

Name:	15665407_1349815525077576_7384756081409537730_n.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	222001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Santa beach.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	222002  

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #15
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We made it to Florida

And this. [ATTACH]222003 For fast Mexican, try Poppo’s Taqueria. We were shocked at how fresh and tasty it was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8786.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	222003  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #16

Good Morning everyone again!
I forgot to mention that after driving through torrential rain for three days, after we escaped the winter weather bomb in SD we had water on the floor of our 3-slide Chaparral. This is a brand new RV so we are puzzled as to how the rain/road water got in. Anyone out there have similar experiences or ideas?
ross0547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:03 AM   #17
Fla5er

Welcome to Florida!

Where the state flower is the sandspur, and the state bird is the mosquito!
Home of the newly wed and the nearly dead!

Have a great time and be safe! Florida's 'ice on the road' is rain, especially after a long dry spell where oil drippings have deposited on the roads. Oil and water do not mix.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:05 AM   #18
Fla5er

Welcome to Florida!

Where the state flower is the sandspur, and the state bird is the mosquito!
Home of the newly wed and the nearly dead!

Have a great time and be safe! Florida's 'ice on the road' is rain, especially after a long dry spell where oil drippings have deposited on the roads. Oil and water do not mix.

Please pardon me for a double post.... we're having computer problems..solving that soon!
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:36 PM   #19

Good for you! I moved to FL in 1980 and have never thought of leaving, you are in a beautiful area but be sure to explore north, or south , their is so much to offer even without the Orlando parks thing
Stormvet1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Good for you! Enjoy that weather ! We just got back from
5 weeks in Padre Island Corpus Christie Jamaica Beach Rv Resort in Galveston Texas and 9 final days In Navarre beach Florida at Santa Rosa Rv Resort! All the places were nice but cold rainy and mostly cloudy all 5 weeks. (Plus Tornado Warnings in Texas a few times) Going farther South in Florida next year. But a bad day on vacation is better than a good day at work! But I’m not sure about 5 weeks. Then our TVs would not work on Navarre Beach not sure why. But that made the decision not to bring Satellite Dish (because we were staying in nice parks all the time) Really A Bad Decision! (Like they say I won’t leave home without it again!) Maybe it was a bad switching device that sometimes go bad. No Major Problems and was a Safe Trip! Glad to be home but looking forward to next road trip in June. Enjoy that sun and be sure to use sunscreen! I had Melanoma on my scalp last Feb and can’t be out much but at least I can be warm! I think! Hope You Have Awesome Weather!!
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida