Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #1

Weekend Adventure in North Georgia Mountains

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about Dockery Lake recreation area between Dahlonega and Blairsville, Georgia and never got any response from someone that had been there. After finding the place, I understand why... It's off hwy 9 just south of a hole in the wall called Suches, GA on a very, very windy little road. Dockery lake is at the bottom of the valley of the shadow of death, with only a very narrow 1 lane gravel road to get there and back and it has a cliff on both sides. I talked myself into driving down the roughly 1 mile road that degraded drastically about half way down, once we got to the "campground" all the sites large enough for a camper were full. The only other non-tents there, was the campground host, who was in a 26ft travel trailer, and a small pop-up. I managed to get out of the hole and back on the road and managed to puncture one of the tires on my camper in the process. It was a very slow leak so I filled it up with air as there was no place to change it and it was getting dark quickly and we still had miles to go. We wound up at Vogal State Park, just south of Blairsville, my favorite state park. Long story short, unless you have a 4x4 and a trailer that rides high, don't go to Dockery lake, it's not that nice and the road is hell. The 2.5 hr drive wound up at 4.5 hrs until we finally got to Vogal SP, I was never more glad to see it.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Always Learning

Cool story bro. Glad you made it outsafe and relatively unscathed.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. We go to the Ga Mts. often and always try different parks. I have seen some trucks unable to pull the TT out of the bottom. I often use the sat maps to check before I go cause I have been burnt up there. Still love those Mts.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #4

wow, what a story! A trip to remember for sure!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Thanks for the info. We go to the Ga Mts. often and always try different parks. I have seen some trucks unable to pull the TT out of the bottom. I often use the sat maps to check before I go cause I have been burnt up there. Still love those Mts.

I checked the sat maps as well, there were so many trees, I couldn't see the road down in the valley or I wouldn't have gone down it. It was an ok park when you finally got to it, just wouldn't go down there again in anything less than a 4x4 pickup or SUV.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
Old 04-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #6

Love to go into the Cuhutta wilderness around Cisco Georgia horse camping. It would be rather hard to pull anything over 25-30 foot in those steep crooked roads. Great horse back riding there though!!
chevy2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Thanks for the info...that's why we mostly stick to the GA SP's when we camp north GA...don't like surprises!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #8

I usually only go to state parks as well, a friend really wanted to go to Dockery Lake so I was trying to humor him. I had found a couple of pictures of campers similar too mine at Dockery Lake so I figured it would be ok. The tree cover was too dense to see the road from hell on Google Earth, so it was an unknown until turned down it.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
Old 04-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sself1219 View Post
I usually only go to state parks as well, a friend really wanted to go to Dockery Lake so I was trying to humor him. I had found a couple of pictures of campers similar too mine at Dockery Lake so I figured it would be ok. The tree cover was too dense to see the road from hell on Google Earth, so it was an unknown until turned down it.
Didn't hear any banjo's did you??
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote