Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Western North Carolina & Upstate South Carolina -- Best Campgrounds & RV spaces?

We recently got our first RV - a Salem Cruise Lite 292 BHXL, had our maiden voyage last weekend at Devil's Fork State Park/Lake Jocassee and are just loving it!

We aren't familiar with many campgrounds in our area. Since we are mostly going to be doing long weekends, we are looking for campgrounds within two hours or so of Upstate South Carolina or in Western North Carolina.

Please let us know about your favorite spots and any tips you may have on the best RV spaces. We love to kayak so spaces with immediate water access are a major plus.

By the way -- for anyone who hasn't yet been to Devil's Fork, Lake Jocassee is one of the most beautiful lakes I've ever seen, so clean and clear, not many boats so great for kayaking. Lots of little waterfalls hidden in coves that bigger boats can't get to, also waterfalls are prime fishing spots as we've seen TONS of large fish hanging out at the base! I love that all the descriptions at also include the grade/incline of the helpful ;-)

We've got space reserved at Mile Creek for July 4th weekend and going to South Cove County Park next week. Haven't been to either yet, so not sure what to expect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

Michael & Dawn

theayers128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
We like Twin Lakes in Pendleton. It is a COE park on lake Hartwell. Sites are fairly large and most are on the lake. We take our Kayaks and bikes.

forthefunofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
Theayers...can't help you with that part of the state but keep the reviews coming as you explore...Lake Jocasee looks wonderful and I'd never heard of it before!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
I'm a little hesitant to suggest a campground, as the roads north and west of where you're camping are really, really difficult mountain roads.

But one of my favorite campgrounds is west of Dillard on Lake Chatuge. The Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds in Hiawasee has great campgrounds on the water. It's easy to get to the Nantahala River, Ocoee River or Chattooga Rivers--all triple first class white water rivers with commercial rafting operations.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
We love camping at Lake Greenwood State Park and have camped at Calhoun Falls State Park on Lake Russell and Lake Hartwell State Park. If you don't mind driving a little further, James Island County Park outside of Charleston is awesome. It's our favorite place to camp.

Please post a review of Mile Creek Park. We have wanted to go there but were under the impression that they didn't take reservations and there was a minimum 7 night stay. I hope I'm wrong!

Tim & Joy
2011 Sierra 365SAQ
Reese 16k Hitch
2007.5 Chevy 3500 Crewcab LTZ Diesel
Heldapay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Lake Jocasee looks wonderful and I'd never heard of it before!
If you've ever seen the movie "Deliverance", that was the lake that was being backed up. The cemetery in the movie is now about 140 feet under water.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
The white water shown in Deliverance is the Chattooga River, and it is still there. It's on the GA/SC state line west of Westminister, SC and east of Clayton, GA. They have an overnight rafting trip I'd be afraid to take. Serious whitewater trip.

There's incredible views from Black Mountain State Park campground up on a mountain just north of Clayton. It's maybe 15 miles SW of The Highlands.

We're long time member/owners at Unicoi Springs Camp Resort outside of Helen, GA. We have 300 campsites, most with 50 amp service, two pools and an incredible common house. It's one of those campgrounds that spoils you. And we can stay 14 nights a month March-Dec. 31st for free. And it's just 1 hr. from the edge of Atlanta.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
We stayed at a COE campgorund, Springfield, on lake Hartwell for Memorial day weekend. It was really nice and in a non-congested area of the lake. Much nicer than Sadler's Creek SP. A lot of big water and really nice camp sites. They only have two full service sites, 69 & 70 and you have to book really far in advance to get those. We've stayed on 73, which is really nice and has a gentle slope to the lake. Great for a pontoon. 71, 72, 73 and 74 are all good.
We're back for Labor day, I can't wait.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #9
We were looking for some mountain scenery this week, and we thought the Tale of the Dragon on Hwy 129 below Fontana Dam was too crooked.

So we went on the Cherohala Skyway between Robbinsville, NC and Tellico Plains, TN. It took 40 years to build the 40 mile road, and it's absolutely beautiful.

We found a really nice 100 site U.S. Forestry campground about 10 miles out of Tellico Plains called Indian Boundary Campground. It's $20 a day ($15 for Golden Passport holders) including electricity only.

Indian Boundary has all concrete pads, and it's very well maintained. They have a bunch of hiking trails and a beautiful sand swimming beach with a huge mountain view.

Campsite reservations are made through the Tellico Plains, TN Visitor's Center. We'll be back in the Fall.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:18 AM   #10
Mt. Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Parkway is my favorite campground. The sites are paved and most have bushes between them providing privacy. There is a section for RV's but you need to check it out to be sure they will handle your unit. Some had a lot of slope. We camped there with our popup before we got the motorhome, so I didn't look closely at RV sites.

You can check it out on, including photos and size of sites. As far as I know none of the sites have electricity or water. There is a dump station. Look for "Trailer Sites" not "RV Sites". The web site showed no RV sites available, maybe because they only list RV sites with hookups.

A side benefit is that Mt. Pisgah Inn is across the parkway, and it has a pretty good restaurant with a great view.

Crabtree Meadows on the Blue Ridge Parkway is nice. It's much like Mt. Pisgah.

If you want a weekend out but don't have to be right on the lake, Keowee State Park has about a dozen sites, all with water and electricity. It's nice and quiet with good hiking trails. We couldn't get into Devil's Fork when we did our first two weekends with our new motorhome and Keowee SP was perfect for us. Keowee SP has lake access but the sites are on a hill.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote