Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #21
Ready to Go

KOA Charlotte - the KOA office is a gas station connected to a biker bar.. and nothing wrong with either of those, I just don't feel they belong in the same park as a KOA. Lot was all gravel and on an incline. Noisy until 2 AM. Just not happy with this one.. and will not give a second chance.

2001 F250 SD 7.3 Turbo
2013 Sanibel 39' 5th wheel.
JeffLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #22

KOA in Seattle. Site so small you cant open your awnings. Full of full time folks living in run down crap. And people and cars coming in and out at all time of the day and night. The full timer across from me was selling drugs from his TT I watched him make afew sales. And a lot of full timers getting drunk on Friday and Saturday night. Police were called out both nights. I did not feel safe leaving my 5er along when going site seeing.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
KOA in Seattle. Site so small you cant open your awnings. Full of full time folks living in run down crap. And people and cars coming in and out at all time of the day and night. The full timer across from me was selling drugs from his TT I watched him make afew sales. And a lot of full timers getting drunk on Friday and Saturday night. Police were called out both nights. I did not feel safe leaving my 5er along when going site seeing.
I think we have number 1....so far.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #24

Most thousand trails are not good.
235 nights camping this past 30 months
31000 miles
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #25

From what I see KOA's are on the bottom of my list. My brother tells me the few KOA's he has stayed at have very tight camping quarters. I would be camping at a state park or dry camping.
jjfmd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #26
Site Team

Sadly, the one where my trailer is currently parked...
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
Delaware Beaches Jellystone in Lincoln DE. Large level sites, nice pool, clean bathrooms and friendly staff. But... no shade anywhere, flies everywhere, and the campground is sort of in the middle of nowhere. Seemed like we needed to drive 30 minutes to get to the beach or anywhere else we wanted to go.
Ditto. This is my choice.

Those big green flies are the worst.

Bruce
Old 08-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #28

I feel compelled to defend Koa. I just finished a three month trip around America. Koa was consistently better on average. Easier to book online, good size sites, cable and WiFi. I wish I had figured this out sooner. Of couse there were a few disappointments especially on the East coast but in general they were good.
235 nights camping this past 30 months
31000 miles
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #29

KOA Lake Whippoorwill down in Orlando, they did not like kids at that place and made the stay horrible.
Nights Camped 2014-35
bbritt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #30

Speedway KOA, Daytona, Fl. Sewer line problem behind our site, shared line with 3 others. Inspection cap 'blew' off a couple of times, neighbors sewer connection was leaky. Took three days of bitching, a call to the county health dept. and an e-mail to corp. HQ.
There were no other sites available, 'Speed Week', Daytona 500. A pricey, smelly stay.
KOA, no way.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #31

Lake Glory near Knoebels in Pennsylvania. We were with a large group, many were in tents. They came to our RV and asked to use our bathroom, because the one provide had no working screens and they were dirty. While there a tree, that should have been removed due to rot, fell and almost hit a tent. Knoebels has two campgrounds. The other one (next to Knoebels is nicer). By the way Knoebels is an amusement park in central Pennsylvania.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #32

The ones I dislike ( and I can think of at least a half dozen, usually in Nat'nl or state parks) are those with asphalt parking lots where each camper has 2 slots and the picnic table is behind you. Might as well be in Walmart.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #33

What was the worst camp ground you have ever stayed at

Allatoona landing RV resort in Cartersville, GA. Trains pass within 100ft of our sight, laying on the horn all day and night. I would estimate at least every 30 minutes to an hour. Never again.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #34

My worst was Pine Acres Resort in Raymond NH. If you like drunks and golfcart racing at 2am it's the place for you. I have to Defend KOA,I have been to dozens of them and have only hit one I didn't care for in PA. I find them pretty reliable when your on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #35

Worst place ever...

Without a doubt...Moonshine Creek RV Campground in North Carolina. Wife found it on web...pics looked nice, landscaped, creek running through site, level sites to accommodate ANY size RV...etc., etc. Made reservations. Drove 6 hours to get there. Last hour of driving was way off the beaten path. Finally arrived at sign to turn left. Was a hill of gravel with a huge tree on each side of narrow road with their sign nailed to tree. We proceeded past the sign for about 50 yards totally expecting to hear "banjo" music start playing. Narrow road took us to general store / check-in office. Campground was very small, narrow, and certainly not as depicted. Clerk walked up road...we followed towing our RV...to show us our site. Back in site about 28-30 ft. long. Our RV was 32 ft. It backed up to a deep supposed creek, therefore our rear jacks would have been about 8 ft. off the ground. Told him our RV would not fit. He offered another one, same size, on other side of road. I said I wanted a refund and that I was leaving. He said ok, matter of factly. Asked where I could turn around...now the good part...there was nowhere to turn around! I had to back down the narrow road I just came up till I got to the store where I could turn around. Pictures are deceiving as well as descriptions of campsites. This was a learning experience for us to research, research, and research.
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
Allatoona landing RV resort in Cartersville, GA. Trains pass within 100ft of our sight, laying on the horn all day and night. I would estimate at least every 30 minutes to an hour. Never again.
I believe that you are stretching that a little. Tracks are 210 ft away from any site. Trains do not run all day and night. All advertisement notes "we have trains". At least whine the truth.....
jtcotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #37

In and Out Park in Lake City Florida. Very convenient location for us snowbirds making the dash to the Florida sun but that's about it. Bathrooms full of the funniest hand written warning signs e.g "Theft of toilet paper will result in eviction". Lots of older permanent trailer residents. Plenty of street noise all night long. Right behind a busy gas station and in the middle of a row of restaurants.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

There must be something about Boone. Our worst was Flintlock campground in Boone, NC. They asked me 3 times on the phone how big my fiver was. Each time I replied 40 ft. We pulled in around 9pm on a Friday night for a weekend stay. It was a very steep hill into the campground. There was nowhere out of the way to park while we registered and cars were trying to get by us. The host told us our site number. We were in the front left loop. We had to navigate around cars parked halfway in the road and fiver pins hanging out in the road. We find our site. It was a narrow site with a tree and a power pole to navigate around on one side of the site and a rock fire pit on the other side all at the front of the site. The next site up had a car parallel parked halfway in the road and in our way. Across the way were 2 fives with kingpins hanging in the road. I decided to try it. Bad choice. We got halfway in with lots of maneuvering. I now had the truck pulled up between the two fivers and the trailer trapped angled between obstacles and no room to straighten out. I had half the campground out trying to be helpful yelling this and that. I finally got out the situation pulled back around to the office who said, I have no where else to put you. Bleep in mind we just drove 3 1/2 hrs, it is now dark, I have an 8 yr old dd and a dog with us. What were we supposed to do now? He said, oh wait let me check something. He found a seasonal site that wasn't filled yet. He said it might be too short but we could try. I walked Down to look. I still had to make someone move a car in the way. There was a car trailer half on our site from the next site over. We tried it. Hung the rear over the creek and got in on the second shot. No real apologies, no discounts for the now 30 amp site. We made the best of our two days and left. There were cars coming and going at all hours and a bright billboard at the front of the campground too.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #39

Yes, your website says you have trains. I didn't see that when I booked which is my bad. I stand by the rest.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Also stay away from hidden lake campground in Graham NC. I did a drive through since it isn't far from home. It had very rundown trailerpark permanent homes and scary looking utilities.

Another bad one was hagan stone city park near Greensboro NC. It had flying cockroaches attacking my trailer. The wooded sites are not medium to big rig friendly. We took our old 30' tt in there and almost didn't make it out around the tight turns and angled dirt road. The field camping is exactly that, a field with water and electric. Not even a truly designated space. The pool had an issue with the water but they were opening half of it?????? The upside was it had a nice playground and walking trails. It was also a cheap stay.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote