Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
Delaware Beaches Jellystone in Lincoln DE. Large level sites, nice pool, clean bathrooms and friendly staff. But... no shade anywhere, flies everywhere, and the campground is sort of in the middle of nowhere. Seemed like we needed to drive 30 minutes to get to the beach or anywhere else we wanted to go.
I took a bit of offense to this one. This is one of my favorites...partially because it is close to home. It does not have much wooded areas....however I enjoy not having to worry about ticks, etc. landing on me etc. Though it is far from everything you have to keep in mind that in Delaware any part of the state is far from anything meaningful!! The sites and facilities are clean and the location is very kid friendly.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy clancy View Post
We so love camping and all that it has to offer both the good and the bad. On our recent trip to boon North Carolina we booked a site at the KOA and four weeks prior and we're super excited until we arrived. First off we have been to a lot ok KOA camp grounds all along the east coast from mane to fla and will say this one was by far the biggest disappointment. From small sites to non friendly hosts. People flying up the dirt roads so fast that it took several minuets for the dust to settle but the dust was the small issue I went to the store tell them about my concern for people's safety while walking fearful of a child getting hit and was met with a oh well attitude. Their store (my pantry in the R V had more in it ) was a joke as well as the pool area. Like every place we go we made the best of it and will be going back to boon just not that KOA. Glad it was for only a weekend and not a week.

Clancy vibe272bhs
Which KOA was it?
Harold Fay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiewaggie View Post
The ones I dislike ( and I can think of at least a half dozen, usually in Nat'nl or state parks) are those with asphalt parking lots where each camper has 2 slots and the picnic table is behind you. Might as well be in Walmart.
What National Park has an Asphalt Lot as anything but an Overflow for a CG??
Surely none of those Out West... But then, this is the Down East subforum...
Old 08-13-2015, 04:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigell View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I prefer National, State & Local parks. I have only seen asphalt in some of the state parks.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #45
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Fort Morgan Co, has free sites in their City Park. The farm smells & lack of power, water or anything else including parking along a curb of an oval shaped concrete island with motorcycles and other park viditors gawking at your trailer....isn't worth the price.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #46

The campground mgr @ Flagg campground in the Tetons was very rude to my wife 2x yesterday....
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #47
Always Learning

Reading this thread has been fun. I've been to a few of the parks and must be overly easy to please.

My only bad that I've had was just last week- Sycamore RV Resort, Sycamore, IL. And it wasn't really bad, we just felt the manager has a bit of an attitude. He was a little persnickety when it came to giving out WiFi codes and was downright sourpuss when it came to us parking our rig without his help (he walked us to it and then got offended when we told him that we work best as a 2-person team). He ultimately stomped off. But, other than cozy sites, it was a nice place. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe it was just an off day for him and something else was up. Not sure I'd be back, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lciaramitaro View Post
Fox Den Acres near New Stanton, PA. I was almost run twice by intoxicated folks driving ATVs way too fast at night. Probably not for those who prefer not to live dangerously.
Interestingly enough - I stayed here a couple of years ago and didn't have a lick of issues. We were there for 3 days and had friends over for one of them. The did lose power and, as a result, water on our departure day that was a bit of a wrinkle in our plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelsonfl View Post
Most thousand trails are not good.
This is another one- I must be easy to please. We've been to 8 or so different TT parks and haven't had one that was bad. They're not great and often times need some work, but they're generally sufficient for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa1000 View Post
Lake Glory near Knoebels in Pennsylvania. We were with a large group, many were in tents. They came to our RV and asked to use our bathroom, because the one provide had no working screens and they were dirty. While there a tree, that should have been removed due to rot, fell and almost hit a tent. Knoebels has two campgrounds. The other one (next to Knoebels is nicer). By the way Knoebels is an amusement park in central Pennsylvania.
And this is another one- we stayed there late last spring and didn't have any issues. We had a big group in my camper and some used the bathhouses. I don't remember any complaints.

I like it because it has full hookups which the other Knoebels park doesn't have.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigell View Post

Off the top of my head....
1. Big Bend National Park. It is run by a concessionaire as is the store next to it. Nearby is a lovely campground, no hookups but trees and limited generator hours. If you want hookups, you are on the asphalt lot.
2. Guadalupe National Park, out near Carlsbad, NM
3. North Padre Island National Seashore near Corpus Christi.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns-Camden View Post
I took a bit of offense to this one. This is one of my favorites...partially because it is close to home. It does not have much wooded areas....however I enjoy not having to worry about ticks, etc. landing on me etc. Though it is far from everything you have to keep in mind that in Delaware any part of the state is far from anything meaningful!! The sites and facilities are clean and the location is very kid friendly.
I don't see how you can take offense to this when he is speaking the complete truth. Maybe you should get out a little more and find some nice campgrounds. By the way, ticks don't "land" on you -- they crawl up you from the grass and brush.

Bruce
Old 08-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #50

San Carlos R.V. Park & Islands - Fort Myers Beach ... good location, not even enough space to breathe. Our awning just about touched our neighbors camper while our slideout was over the backside cement pad ...reach out & touch our neighbors vehicle snuggled up to our camper to get off the very narrow road / path. 3 fender benders that week (reportedly a very common occurrence) because no room to park a vehicle on your site (we only have a pickup & 21' trailer...

For those of you worried about ticks ....2 great products from your vet ...Nexgard & Bravecto .... controls fleas & ticks for a month or three at a time ...and I have given it a workout in one of the CG ....

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #51

Worst campground

Grand Teton Rv resort was far from being Grand. Short sites, mosquitoes so bad we could not go outside after dark, infested with hundreds of pesky ground squirrels, a swimming pool that has not been used for years, and the list goes on.... The plus was the view!
Fufys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #52

Harpers Ferry KOA. Pretty much a refuge camp unless you score one of the sites at the front but they seemed to be for seasonal folks. Really put us off on KOA's except for overnighters.

Frank
Zeuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #53

My mother in laws house after I quit drinking !!!
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #54

Great thread just 2 weeks before our 3 week trip from Tennessee to Key West & Disney Fort Wilderness. Don't think I'll show my wife this one.

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #55

We also must be easy to please, been camping for 3 yrs, put 18000 on the motorhome and pleased to say haven't found a bad place yet. Have stayed in several KOAs on the east coast along with RV resorts, and a large town park in Burlington, VT. If someone is rude shrug it off, they may be having a bad day I'm sure all of us are not cuddly all the time. I have to say I'm truly disappointed in this thread. Everyone makes their own fun or sees what they want of each place, I'm not sure it's fair to criticize someone's business telling people to stay away especially when the establishment can not defend itself. Feel telling people where the great places are and why you truly liked the place or area is more helpful. Just so it's known I have nothing to do with campgrounds or know anybody who does.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #56

Well I can add a western Canada site. Kinbasket resort in British Columbia wins for worse in my books. Maintenance guy told us we had the nicest grassed site when he finally showed up to replace the water tap that split. Which by the way was in someone else's campsite because someone was connected to ours. Which also explained the 15 amp rather than 30 amp connection and no AC on the dustiest road ever (3 inches of talc like silt). The broken water tap helped for a bit. The trains which we knew about were 30 ft away across the road. Had to park between a fence post and a rock on the side of the road between the upper and lower sections and had to jack knife in to get past two parked trucks.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #57

Mabel Lake Resort RV park, B.C.

Sites were dirt, small, disorganized
NeilM108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I don't see how you can take offense to this when he is speaking the complete truth. Maybe you should get out a little more and find some nice campgrounds. By the way, ticks don't "land" on you -- they crawl up you from the grass and brush.

Bruce
Not sure what your point was? His entire original comment was true. The facility is fairly clean, sites are level, there are events for the family, it is in the middle of nowhere (unfortunately, there is only one real park in Delaware that is near a beach and it is not near anything else....not like Myrtle Beach in SC where everything is on the beach), and the facility is wide-open with very few shade trees. All of those I had alluded to.

My point was that not all people wanted to be deep in the woods to camp. We all ahve different opinions. Just seems harsh to me to say that a campground is horrible when their problems with the campground are that is not entirely under shady trees (matter of opinion to many), problems with flies (I have never had that problem after about 10 weekends there but it is certainly a possibility to occur), and the fact that it is not near much (look on a map to see how close it is to a beach).

My point was not to offend people or to write a research paper on ticks and other insects....merely to state that this park (like others) can have a bad weekend and that many of what one person likes may not be what another person prefers.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #59

I think the thread has value. Might be nice if it were "tell us about your favorite CG and why you like it."
Whether you learn about a place by hearing what someone else liked about it or by hearing what they didn't like, you've learned something and now have more info to consider when making travel plans.

People also need to remember that there are different uses for campgrounds. Some are close to major attractions (beaches, museums, etc) and in those cases proximity makes all the difference. In other situations, you're looking to get away from it all and in those cases the campground amenities and setting are the difference makers. Then, every once in a while, you find the perfect balance of the two - great amenities and perfect proximity.

Case in point is the infamous Ft Wilderness at Disney. Most who go there love it because of proximity to WDW. Most who are disappointed in it were hoping for more seclusion, larger sites, etc that you normally find in COE or other similar campgrounds. Same exact campground, but two totally different levels of satisfaction because of different needs/perspectives.
Just some food for thought.
Brian
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #60

You are correct. This thread is all about everyone's opinion and nothing more. I never said it was horrible. I tried to present the good as well as the bad to be fair.
We didn't pick this location. We were part of a group that was there for a week and one of the other folks in the group found the campground and made the reservations. I read reviews before we went and they were a mix of good and bad. The reviews lined up pretty well with our experience and the comments I made here. I'm sure some folks love the place - especially if you have small children. But for us and what we like in a campground, it wasn't a good fit.
My favorite campsite was a little place in Damascus, VA. right on a terrific trout stream. Fifteen full hookup sites, but nothing else. No bath house, no pool, no playground. Quiet, peaceful, and the sound of the stream all night long. A lot of folks would hate it but for us, a perfect fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote