Old 08-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #51
Worst campground

Grand Teton Rv resort was far from being Grand. Short sites, mosquitoes so bad we could not go outside after dark, infested with hundreds of pesky ground squirrels, a swimming pool that has not been used for years, and the list goes on.... The plus was the view!

Fufys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #52
Harpers Ferry KOA. Pretty much a refuge camp unless you score one of the sites at the front but they seemed to be for seasonal folks. Really put us off on KOA's except for overnighters.

Judy, Frank, and Jager
2015 F250 6.7L CC 4x4
2015 Keystone Cougar 30RLi
Zeuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #53
My mother in laws house after I quit drinking !!!
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2013 Salem Cruise light 19bh
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #54
Great thread just 2 weeks before our 3 week trip from Tennessee to Key West & Disney Fort Wilderness. Don't think I'll show my wife this one.
2015 Georgetown 364TS, '14 Fiesta 5 spd w/Tandem Tow Dolly HDXL 8x10, & EZGO Customized Cart
'16 - 51 days camping so far, 19 more min planned; '15 - 56 days
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WFKS '14 - 24, '13 - 33, '12 - 36, '11 - 29, '10 - 23

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #55
We also must be easy to please, been camping for 3 yrs, put 18000 on the motorhome and pleased to say haven't found a bad place yet. Have stayed in several KOAs on the east coast along with RV resorts, and a large town park in Burlington, VT. If someone is rude shrug it off, they may be having a bad day I'm sure all of us are not cuddly all the time. I have to say I'm truly disappointed in this thread. Everyone makes their own fun or sees what they want of each place, I'm not sure it's fair to criticize someone's business telling people to stay away especially when the establishment can not defend itself. Feel telling people where the great places are and why you truly liked the place or area is more helpful. Just so it's known I have nothing to do with campgrounds or know anybody who does.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #56
Well I can add a western Canada site. Kinbasket resort in British Columbia wins for worse in my books. Maintenance guy told us we had the nicest grassed site when he finally showed up to replace the water tap that split. Which by the way was in someone else's campsite because someone was connected to ours. Which also explained the 15 amp rather than 30 amp connection and no AC on the dustiest road ever (3 inches of talc like silt). The broken water tap helped for a bit. The trains which we knew about were 30 ft away across the road. Had to park between a fence post and a rock on the side of the road between the upper and lower sections and had to jack knife in to get past two parked trucks.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #57
Mabel Lake Resort RV park, B.C.

Sites were dirt, small, disorganized
NeilM108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #58
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I don't see how you can take offense to this when he is speaking the complete truth. Maybe you should get out a little more and find some nice campgrounds. By the way, ticks don't "land" on you -- they crawl up you from the grass and brush.

Not sure what your point was? His entire original comment was true. The facility is fairly clean, sites are level, there are events for the family, it is in the middle of nowhere (unfortunately, there is only one real park in Delaware that is near a beach and it is not near anything else....not like Myrtle Beach in SC where everything is on the beach), and the facility is wide-open with very few shade trees. All of those I had alluded to.

My point was that not all people wanted to be deep in the woods to camp. We all ahve different opinions. Just seems harsh to me to say that a campground is horrible when their problems with the campground are that is not entirely under shady trees (matter of opinion to many), problems with flies (I have never had that problem after about 10 weekends there but it is certainly a possibility to occur), and the fact that it is not near much (look on a map to see how close it is to a beach).

My point was not to offend people or to write a research paper on ticks and other insects....merely to state that this park (like others) can have a bad weekend and that many of what one person likes may not be what another person prefers.
2016 Forest River Georgetown 364TS
Browns-Camden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #59
I think the thread has value. Might be nice if it were "tell us about your favorite CG and why you like it."
Whether you learn about a place by hearing what someone else liked about it or by hearing what they didn't like, you've learned something and now have more info to consider when making travel plans.

People also need to remember that there are different uses for campgrounds. Some are close to major attractions (beaches, museums, etc) and in those cases proximity makes all the difference. In other situations, you're looking to get away from it all and in those cases the campground amenities and setting are the difference makers. Then, every once in a while, you find the perfect balance of the two - great amenities and perfect proximity.

Case in point is the infamous Ft Wilderness at Disney. Most who go there love it because of proximity to WDW. Most who are disappointed in it were hoping for more seclusion, larger sites, etc that you normally find in COE or other similar campgrounds. Same exact campground, but two totally different levels of satisfaction because of different needs/perspectives.
Just some food for thought.
Brian, Stacy, and the girls (8 and 5)
2011 F-250 CCSB 6.7L PSD 4WD
2013 Solaire 269BHDSK
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #60
You are correct. This thread is all about everyone's opinion and nothing more. I never said it was horrible. I tried to present the good as well as the bad to be fair.
We didn't pick this location. We were part of a group that was there for a week and one of the other folks in the group found the campground and made the reservations. I read reviews before we went and they were a mix of good and bad. The reviews lined up pretty well with our experience and the comments I made here. I'm sure some folks love the place - especially if you have small children. But for us and what we like in a campground, it wasn't a good fit.
My favorite campsite was a little place in Damascus, VA. right on a terrific trout stream. Fifteen full hookup sites, but nothing else. No bath house, no pool, no playground. Quiet, peaceful, and the sound of the stream all night long. A lot of folks would hate it but for us, a perfect fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote