Old 08-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #61
The right to share an opinion is what makes word of mouth work. Many of the posts share what each of us didn't like. Nothing wrong with that. All rating systems work this way. I had spoken s bout broken screens in the bathhouse. Someone said they fixed it. I'm glad. If you truly think sharing an opinion is unfair to a campground, look elsewhere and allow me to read and decide for myself.

2014 Sabre 33CKTS
2012 F250
dwa1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #62
Chestnut Ridge Campground outside of Morgantown WV. Family camping beside us warned me to take extra washcloth to the bathhouse to plug the holes that the peeping Tom uses. She was afraid to tell the office..thought it could lead to slashed tires and they were leaving the next day. We use the camper shower so I knew I would not have an issue. But the more we thought about it, we knew someone needed to know if it were true. The next day, when no one was around, my husband went to the bath house to investigate. There was a service corridor between the men's side and women's side. The service door was unlocked so he went inside...sure enough behind the hot water heater, where you could sit and not be seen was a hole looking into the women's shower stall. We warned other women camping in our loop. We thought that the campground maintenance guys were the culprits... We also did not say anything to the office because of possible reprocussions. But as soon as we got home we called the State Police for that county and told first the trooper seemed like he was going to blow me off... Until I said, hey, it could be your wife or daughter in there...then he perked up and said that he would go there and investigate. He just hope and pray that he really did....

flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #63
This discussion has been useful in that I now know if a camp listed is crowded, unlevel, dusty, muddy, dirty, poorly maintained, poorly managed, badly designed, unfriendly, residential, noisy, doggy, dangerous, bug infested and full of lurking trees and poles. Descriptions in ads are usually glowing. None of the above is ever mentioned. So...thanks everyone for the heads up. These places are businesses and there is no place for the above problems in them.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #64
Luckily the worst experience that we have had was a KOA that although was clean, friendly, and well run, had sites that were narrower than my driveway and were so small that we could not have possibly had a campfire without burning the neighbor's tent down. Definitely a one nighter "just driving through" type of place that we stayed at our second year out. Since then have found a way to weed out the worst of them.

We do go to camping shows now to talk to folks at the campground booths. I like decent size sites with privacy. I have learned that when I ask specifically about their campsites and instead of bringing out the picture books and proudly showing their campground they try to avoid the question using the "we offer......" and start listing things having nothing to do with my question, then they obviously don't have what we are looking for. I also avoid campgrounds whose web sites heavily lean toward their store, club house, pool and activities but don't show their roads or campsites (red flag)

I have also found that talking to other like minded campers from around the country is a great way to find some wonderful spots ( which is one of the reasons I like this list so much). I web site given to me by a wonderful person I met last year is Campsite Photos, Camping Pictures, and Campground Reviews -
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #65
I guess the worst one we ever stayed at was somewhere in northern Ontario in 1969. I think it was called Daytona Beach Resort. We were tent camping out of our MGB-GT and looking for a place to camp and saw a sign for the campground and turned down the road which turned into a dirt road which was really a lot of fun in the MG. When we finally reached the place we found that it had probably been a very nice place about 20 years before. We pitched our tent and made do with what we had. The outhouses were full up to the seats. We moved on the next day. I will say that the campground was on a beautiful lake and the people there were very friendly.
2016 Sunseeker 2700DS
2010 Jeep Liberty Toad
tlf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #66
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
Just returned from a week at the Cherokee, NC KOA. Never again! I was charged $75 a night to have a site that backed up to a stream. They didn't bother to tell me when I made my reservations that the "stream" was bone dry. Also had a giant jumping airbag for the kids right out our window [20 ft] that often had over 25 kids jumping on it. There was never a time it was vacant.
The rear of our unit back right up to a 5er diagonal parked next to us. Quiet time was a joke. The band didn't stop till 11 PM. Yep! Band! There were children running around without parents all over the place. I don't mean 10-20, I mean 30-40 like rats. Why one wasn't run over, I have no clue.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Tuned
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:56 PM   #67
Garden of the Gods RV Resort in Colorado Springs, Colorado is by far the worst rv camp ground I have ever been in. Not only were the spaces so close you could barely get the slides out without touching your neighbors RV but there was such a stench of sewer gas we couldn't stand it. We never unhooked, left that campground never to return. Arrived and left 8/10/15
2014 8289WS Diamond pkg
2014 Ram 2500 SB DC TCD
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #68
my pet peeves in some campgrounds...
1 spaces so tight you almost touch your neighbors TT
2 camp grounds that really look and seem like parking lots.
3 spaces that have no vegetation any where near your spot...i mean thats what you want is nature not blacktop and concrete.
4 rude staff..if you dont like working with the public DONT get another job away from them
5 Over charging for a space that should be half as to what is offered. I mean some Campgrounds charge like they were a 5 star hotel and offer 1 star service.

and lastly why go camping and complain about the bugs...there are plenty of bug deterents you can use that will ease the annoyance..i mean what in the world do you think your gonna have in the nature of the world,,,,seriously?
OK question Time...
2016 Georgetown 335ds
Larry and Judy Crossman
Lancaster NY
xman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #69
Oh yeah i forgot 1 last thing that slipped my mind.
I absolutely cant stand when campers leave their dogs loose at their campsite. I own two Very Expensive very protective White German Shepherds that are VERY trained and VERY well behaved. But i get so pissed off when i walk my babies and have some jerks dogs come charging at us in an aggressive manner only to hear the owners yell hey get over here and their dogs don't listen.then im left trying to protect my dogs who inturn want to protect me from the other dog.. makes for a VERY bad walk
OK question Time...
2016 Georgetown 335ds
Larry and Judy Crossman
Lancaster NY
xman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #70
What was the worst camp ground you have ever stayed at

Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Just returned from a week at the Cherokee, NC KOA. Never again! I was charged $75 a night to have a site that backed up to a stream. They didn't bother to tell me when I made my reservations that the "stream" was bone dry.

Uh oh... I was looking to book a weekend there in November for a fly fishing trip with some buddies. Probably will be a lot less busy then so I may still camp there. They seem to have "river" sites and "creek" sites. Do you remember which site# you had?
Hopefully the river will have some more water when we are there. I do know that from a fishing perspective, the water is very low right now. Thanks for the post. Hopefully our experience is better. I've camped before just down the road at River Valley and was pleased with the camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote