Old 08-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #71

There is a great campground on the downside of that koa on the same road would be on left side concrete pads clean and quite great fishing or you can camp on creek can't think of the name but it doesn't look like the others it is smaller and cleaner

Old 08-28-2015, 05:56 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
There is a great campground on the downside of that koa on the same road would be on left side concrete pads clean and quite great fishing or you can camp on creek can't think of the name but it doesn't look like the others it is smaller and cleaner

That's probably River Valley Campground. I camped there earlier this summer and yes, it is very nice. I called to try and make a reservation there for this trip, but they close for the season on November 1st, thus the reason for looking into the KOA.
Since I will be spending the weekend hip-deep in the trout stream, the amenities of the CG are not all that important. Full hookups and a peaceful night sleep are all I need. The KOA is big and I could see how in peak season it could be very busy, crowded and noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #73
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman123 View Post
my pet peeves in some campgrounds...
1 spaces so tight you almost touch your neighbors TT
2 camp grounds that really look and seem like parking lots.
3 spaces that have no vegetation any where near your spot...i mean thats what you want is nature not blacktop and concrete.
4 rude staff..if you dont like working with the public DONT get another job away from them
5 Over charging for a space that should be half as to what is offered. I mean some Campgrounds charge like they were a 5 star hotel and offer 1 star service.

and lastly why go camping and complain about the bugs...there are plenty of bug deterents you can use that will ease the annoyance..i mean what in the world do you think your gonna have in the nature of the world,,,,seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xman123 View Post
Oh yeah i forgot 1 last thing that slipped my mind.
I absolutely cant stand when campers leave their dogs loose at their campsite. I own two Very Expensive very protective White German Shepherds that are VERY trained and VERY well behaved. But i get so pissed off when i walk my babies and have some jerks dogs come charging at us in an aggressive manner only to hear the owners yell hey get over here and their dogs don't listen.then im left trying to protect my dogs who inturn want to protect me from the other dog.. makes for a VERY bad walk
YEA! What he said!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #74

I guess our worst was Sleepy Hollow near Oxford, Iowa. There was a self service check-in that had some discrepancy over which sites cost more and which were less. This also means that there was no one available if there was any kind of issue. We had driven past this one numerous times and it looks real nice from the freeway, nice mature trees for shade. The interior roads were gravel (not an issue in itself) with some pretty steep hills and rutted badly from rain runoff. I actually used the four wheel drive to pull the trailer through some of the ruts and up the hills. We tried 5 different sites, which all showed we could fit in from the map but couldn't, to find one we fit in and could level the unit. When we finally found one, I had to use all my blocking under the truck tires to get it level front to back. It said it had wifi but that was only if you went and sat outside the office building. I don't usually use park wifi but for those that do, this might be somewhat misleading. Of course there was noise from the freeway but that is to be expected in parks that are just off the freeway.

Other than that, we have had pretty good luck with campgrounds. We know if you are just staying the night you are going to get noise from freeways and trains and the like so that does not bother us that much for one night. We will run the air conditioner fan on low to cover the noise at least some.

As far as KOA goes, we have only stayed at a few and they were pretty nice. Pueblo Colorado has one that they will even deliver a pizza, salads and other food right to your site.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #75

Not at a campground but while camping. Robbed twice within an hour.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #76

Campground

To DK-SC that was the name of it we camped there in August a couple years years ago to fish and river tube sorry I didn't know they closed that early
Old 08-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #77
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
Not at a campground but while camping. Robbed twice within an hour.
Wow. And you stayed around for the second one? Lol
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #78
Who Dares, Wins

No! He left before the third... Had nothing else to rob! LOL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #79

St. George RV Park in St. George SC. Just off I-95 behind a big motel in a swamp, next to the Interstate AND the rail road tracks. Sites are very small back in only, mud everywhere, several permanent trailers in terrible shape including one 5th wheel dumping raw sewage on the ground. Nearly got stuck getting out of there in 4 wheel drive. I can't imagine how in heck this place got a TL rating of 7.5,6,6.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
Uh oh... I was looking to book a weekend there in November for a fly fishing trip with some buddies. Probably will be a lot less busy then so I may still camp there. They seem to have "river" sites and "creek" sites. Do you remember which site# you had?
Hopefully the river will have some more water when we are there. I do know that from a fishing perspective, the water is very low right now. Thanks for the post. Hopefully our experience is better. I've camped before just down the road at River Valley and was pleased with the camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
We were in site # 213 right next to the recreation area. The "creek" behind us was about 15 ft wide and dry, but we still had to pay $75 a night. Maybe the band will stop earlier while you are there.
Great hamburgers at the snack shop. Diesel around there was $.40 higher than anywhere else.
There has been no snow to melt, so not sure if you will have any water in the "creek" by then. Good Luck!

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote