Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #1

Where to stay

I am trying to plan a trip the 1st of August to Williamsburg VA to take the family to Bush Gardens and would like to know if there are any good camp grounds there with deals for BG I have looked at the KOA and would like to know if anybody has any hints for us.
Derick441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #2

Well if you are military, Cheatham Annex just finished with the brand-new camp ground. It is pretty nice. Then there is Beth Page. The Jelly Stone at Glouester Point. The list goes on and on. Aw heck, just use this: Welcome - Virginia Campground Owners | The Finest Campgrounds in Virginia
Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #3

Pocahontas State Park, VA - Pocahontas State Park - Virginia Is For Lovers It was about an hour or so (as I recall) from Busch Gardens, but it allowed us a great "base" to see the entire region from.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
I just tow the TT for DW!

Newport News Park is close by, and if you prefer a state park, Chippokes Plantation State Park is going to be closer to BG than Pocahontas State Park. I think you can take the ferry over from Chippokes to get in the area of BG.

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #5

I noticed in there nationwide rules/regulation that all KOA campgrounds are strictly anti Second Amendment. When we travel to unfamilar places around the nation I certainly feel more secure knowing I can protect my family and loved one along the highways. Of course discretion is key and as a CCW it is my preference to remain low key but I also feel obliged to primarily patronize those establishments and hard working owners who acknowledge and respect my rights as a Constitutionally protected law abiding citizen.
I avoid KOA sites on principal even if they would never have a reason to know because I chose not to be disrespected by a piss ant stockholder of an declared left wing organization.
Virginia is a beautiful state and loves our Constitution.
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #6

We are going down there in August too. We are driving down the 4th. We are trying the American Heritage Rv Park. I looks like a nice little place.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan JS View Post
I noticed in there nationwide rules/regulation that all KOA campgrounds are strictly anti Second Amendment. When we travel to unfamilar places around the nation I certainly feel more secure knowing I can protect my family and loved one along the highways. Of course discretion is key and as a CCW it is my preference to remain low key but I also feel obliged to primarily patronize those establishments and hard working owners who acknowledge and respect my rights as a Constitutionally protected law abiding citizen.
I avoid KOA sites on principal even if they would never have a reason to know because I chose not to be disrespected by a piss ant stockholder of an declared left wing organization.
Virginia is a beautiful state and loves our Constitution.
Alan JS
Since this is a public forum, could you please post a link to the KOA FAQ you are referencing.
I happen to camp fairly often at KOA's and have never seen this (nor could I find it), a few individual KOA sites have added no guns into their individual rules, but I have not seen where the KOA brand supports that stance. And if it is accurate I would have to reconsider my use, however I would like to see this link and inquire of the KOA HQ's if it is in fact within the corporate FAQ/rules.

All, sorry to hijack the thread for a moment there.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick441 View Post
I am trying to plan a trip the 1st of August to Williamsburg VA to take the family to Bush Gardens and would like to know if there are any good camp grounds there with deals for BG I have looked at the KOA and would like to know if anybody has any hints for us.
We did this trip summer before last, and we stayed at the Williamsburg KOA it is a very nice KOA with a lot of activities and a large clean pool. Spent 8 days based there, and visited Bush (multiple evenings, very hot days), water country, williamsburg, and did a day trip to VA Beach on a day that was up around 100 so the kids could play in the ocean while we sat in an air conditioned beach side tiki bar and watched them.

Are your plans to do more than Bush Gardens? If so there are ticket options that give you the ability to go between Williamsburg, Water Country, and Bush across multiple days and a few other attractions. These tickets are not available on-site and are cheaper than the daily tickets even if you only did Bush and water county one day each.
Just search on williamsburg, or bush gardens ticket specials.

the location of the Williamsburg KOA makes traveling between the three attractions very easy as it is off 64, and down one road (far enough that you do not hear 64 traffic).
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 07-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #9

Hi Camper Lucy
www.ehow.com/list_6503085_koa-campground-rules.html

I was shocked myself to read such blatant disregard for sincere honest hardworking RVers like us.
For DF5.4 I added American Heritage to my list of Favorites and must places to see.
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan JS View Post
Hi Camper Lucy
www.ehow.com/list_6503085_koa-campground-rules.html

I was shocked myself to read such blatant disregard for sincere honest hardworking RVers like us.
For DF5.4 I added American Heritage to my list of Favorites and must places to see.
Lets be careful what we post as actual when in fact is not from the actual MFG, products, or owners web site. We probably have something in the forum rules about this.

Ehow is like Wikipedia, the data is input by someone that is generally not associated with the original site, product, or service in this case KOA. As I read through the posting on Ehow there were a number of items that are misleading and or incorrect, based on my experience with the KOA. As well your statement regarding KOA positioning on the second amendment is not supported anywhere on the KOA site.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 07-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
H2oski

Newport News City Campground. Rustic but nice, would stay there again. If military Ft Eustis is at the same exit. 15 min from Bush Gardens.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #12

Military: Cheatham Annex
Civilian: Our 1st choice is a James City County park: Chickahominy Riverfront Park.

KOA has kids activities. The rest IMO are next tier down.

We live in Williamsburg.

Hope this helps.
phrogdriver93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
You might want to also consider Jamestown and Yorktown. Both are close by.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #14

We just came home from a 7 night stay in the Williamsburg KOA this past Sunday. I could not have been more happy with the camp ground. It was a 10 minute drive to Water Country, Bush Gardens, Williamsburg, James Town and alot of other great attractions. The camp ground was only half full at most during our week their and the pool was very nice (since it broke 100 degrees everyday) The staff was very helpful and the camp ground was clean. We drove through a couple of other camp grounds in the area to check them out and I didn't really see where they were any better. Just my to cents.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote