Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

Where to stay near Jacksonville/Orange Park?

I will be visiting friends in Orange Park in April and looking for a good close campground with full hookups.

Closest RV park to my friends is Whiteys Fish Camp. Anyone have any reviews of Whiteys or other places close by?

Thier website looks interesting.

Whitey's Fish Camp - Orange Park Seafood Restaurant, Fish Camp, RV Park, Live Music, Boat Ramp, Bait Shop - Serving Jacksonville & Fleming Island

Not really looking for an ocean spot or anything. Closer to Orange Park the better.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:12 AM   #2

Wife and I grew up in Orange Park, amd still go down there regularly to see family (most recently this last Christmas). My advice would be to NOT camp there. It is very packed in there, and while it is a good place to grab some seafood it does have a reputation to be kind of wild when the booze gets going (and not wild in a good way). The camping is basically a large dirt parking lot and they pack the campers in TIGHT, in fact wife and I last commented that we wouldn'tknow how to get ours in there if we had to. Wish I knew a place to recommend, but I would recomend not going there.......and this from a guy who spent many younger nights exploring his drunken side there.
dakobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #3

As dakobbe stated it is not the first choice and with that being said we live not far 2.5 miles from Whites. One of the problems with Orange Park is the lack of campgrounds. The best and closest is Flamingo Lakes which is about a 25 minute drive from Orange Park. It is a very popular campground. I will give you a link... Flaming Lake RV Resort - RV Parks in Jacksonville Florida. It is the one that we use for a short weekend trip and like I said only about 25 minutes. There IS NOT any other that is closer and that I would recommend to anyone. There is another way out by the airport but with the planes going out in all night and day it is noise and looks like a big parking lot. Good Luck.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #4

DH lived in Orange Park for a few wonderful years - as a bachelor! He wanted to go back and visit some beaches but didn't like the CG choices. So we opted for a short drive from St. Mary's - and there is a Flying J/Pilot at this exit. Nice campground, full hookups and Belgian waffles served at 10 am (I think free - we didn't go).
Here's the website: http://m.koa.com/campgrounds/jacksonville/
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Denver, CO

There is a MOOSE lodge in Mandarin, just North of 295 on Losco road. If you are Moose, of course. Not a bad place
Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
I will be visiting friends in Orange Park in April and looking for a good close campground with full hookups.

Closest RV park to my friends is Whiteys Fish Camp. Anyone have any reviews of Whiteys or other places close by?

Thier website looks interesting.

Whitey's Fish Camp - Orange Park Seafood Restaurant, Fish Camp, RV Park, Live Music, Boat Ramp, Bait Shop - Serving Jacksonville & Fleming Island

Not really looking for an ocean spot or anything. Closer to Orange Park the better.

Whitey's is awesome, but I wouldn't say it is a good campground. Quite an eating experiance tho.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I changed my mind and reserved a site near the beach in St. Augustine instead. I figured if I can't stay in or very close to Orange Park then I might has well stay at the beach. Maybe my friends will come to me instead.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
Old 02-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Whitey's is awesome, but I wouldn't say it is a good campground. Quite an eating experiance tho.

Couldnt find many people that gave Whiteys a positive camping review so I passed. But plan on going out on a boat in the river for a day and will try to stop there for lunch and a drink! Can't Wait!

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
Old 02-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #9

If you can cancel your reservation check out Kathrine Hanna Park. It is by the Naval Base in Jacksonville and while the campsites are not on the beach there is beach access. We spent 6 days there over Christmas last year real nice place and was cheap too.

COJ.net - Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park
Old 02-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #10

Anastasia state park in St. Augustine is really good. and Ft. Clich (sp) on Amelia Island is really nice too. Just my .02
skydiverchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverchuck View Post
Anastasia state park in St. Augustine is really good. and Ft. Clich (sp) on Amelia Island is really nice too. Just my .02
Both those are usually need to be booked about 6 months or more in advance.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #12

We've stayed at Bryn Mawr resort in St. Augustine.
We've heard that the state park in St. Augustine is very tight and it's difficult to maneuver larger trailers, but haven't investigated for ourselves.

Because we travel with dogs, we cannot use KOA. They have "size and breed" restrictions at all their sites.

The KOA in St. Augustine is cramped and loud. The pool closes at 6 or 7 p.m.
We stayed there once, when we travelled without dogs.

We found Bryn Mawr clean and nice. We got a site right along the beach row, and it was just a few steps to the beach.

GaryOverfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks