Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #21

Yep, we're on our winter "snowbird" trip. Just left our Daughters place in the Gulf Coast (Al) yesterday when it was 76 degrees. We left Monroe, La this morning and it was 70 degrees, high of 76 on drive to Frisco, Tx. Lost 30 degrees in 1 hour as we approached our campground in Frisco, it's windy and 44 degrees here at this time. Nighttime temps predicted to be 16-18 degrees here tonight with similar night temps through Monday night.
So ya, we're still camping!!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #22

Winter Camping? Of course!

Here in the South, we can camp year round. The day after Christmas we are headed to South Carolina for a week and then on to FL for another week. We enjoy winter camping. We have a good furnace and an electric blanket - all is well!
Capri Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #23

Our season ended with Frogtoberfest and starts up again in early Jan in Texas..Can't wait.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #24

Got back Wed. from Savannah, Ga. We were there at Tybee Island, Rivers End Campground was fantastic. We camp all year.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #25

Trading Snow for Sand!

Will be camping soon in northern and central Florida for a month or so. Can't wait to leave the icy mid-west. Our trailer is stored near Port St. Joe so we won't worry about traveling with it.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #26

Just got back from Table rock lake in MO. Stayed at a Corp CG and were the only ones there. Got cold at night but days were passable. Didn't stay cold at night long enough to freeze the water. Not sure I would want to be there this weekend though. Silver Dollar City near Branson was all light up for Christmas. Here in Tulsa OK area can get out at least one week a month most of the time. Freezing sleet right now and temp is dropping fast.
Days Camped 2016 91, 2017 110
Days camped 2018 136
nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #27

Well, we camp almost every weekend - sort of. While the trailer is safely ensconced in the barn, we have a state campground between our house and the town where we shop. So..every time we go shopping we go through the campground on our way to the store. Most of the area is closed down (only one loop open now with road plowed), but, it is surprising to see there were still about 8 campers this past week still out there camping and that is up from last year. Seems more and more people are doing winter camping (it was 4 degrees last night) and like it. Talked to one of the campers from farther up north (in Michigan) and he said they used space heaters and electric blankets and were "toasty warm" and planned to stay 6 nights. We find we can enjoy winter camping from the comfort of our house and our car until we can get out again in the spring. Nice to have state parks close by.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:09 AM   #28

Very interesting. I have not tried keeping the MH warm below 30 degrees. I winterize the second week of Oct, and hang out occasionally, in the driveway, until temps hit the twenties. I can only use 1 electric heater on 30 amps. It takes the chill off but certainly not toasty. I did add an external propane tank this year, with the intent to try the heater and the furnace. We will see. I am amazed to see all of this activity this time of year. Perhaps I should look into a southern Va or NC trip in April,some year.

Merry Christmas to all and Happy Camping. 😎😎
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
Jan 2 wife and I will pull the trailer down to Florida. Stopping at Chattanooga and then Valdosta to split up the trip.
We'll be one day behind you. Stopping in VA the first night, then on to Chattanoga and Valdosta and Fort Myers.
thundrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #30

Our most recent trip ended Dec. 2nd. We are camping over Christmas/New Years, in our back yard, with the grandchildren while they are visiting us. We will winterize after they leave. Some years it does not get cold enough here to be a problem but some years it does... for a few days. Many years ago I had pipes burst in a camper... in FLORIDA.
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #31

We had a similar experience in the Racoon? Valley outside of Knoxville one year on the way back from Florida with a pop-up camper. It was March and not supposed to get that cold, but, it did. Not fun. We froze (I think it got down to 20 that night) even with all the blankets and a space heater going and we had to put the dog in the bed with us because she was too cold to stay in her bed. Now we motel or fly to Florida in the winter months. Not too bad with "favorite" motels we reserve on the way, and family to stay with while down there. Since we only go for a week or so, staying with family down there makes it pretty costly to take the trailer. Gas costs more than the motel for the two nights there and back.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:05 AM   #32

Mid January taking 2 of my grand daughters to the desert with my son for some fun, then come back and end of January off again, can't get enough of this stuff, just not enough time.
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #33

Love living in FL with monthly camping trips. Shorts & a t-shirt today after not making it onto jury duty this morning
... next trip Jan 2 for fishing & a nearby brewery followed by a Celtic music jamboree in Feb. We are booked at least a long weekend month by month out thru next Nov already.

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #34

10 more sleeps and we begin our journey from Nova Scotia to Fl!!!!....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #35

I'm new to the RV world - I had a slide-in truck camper for a bit when the kids were young, but that didn't last once they got too big. For the majority of my 50+ camping years, I've been a tent camper.

That all changed when I purchased a toyhauler recently, now I'm a glamper. Here's the rub though - when I'm boondocking, it still feels more like camping to me, as I "camp" in my trailer - that is, I still use my Black Diamond lantern and an assortment of other battery-powered devices, including an mp3 player and speaker, catalytic heater, etc. I even go outside when I can for potty-time.

I'll be heading to a park where I can plug in in a few days, so I guess that will be using the trailer more like a trailer. So, if you've come from a tenting background - have you changed your style much with the RV?
seagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #36

Celtic music fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
Love living in FL with monthly camping trips. Shorts & a t-shirt today after not making it onto jury duty this morning
... next trip Jan 2 for fishing & a nearby brewery followed by a Celtic music jamboree in Feb. We are booked at least a long weekend month by month out thru next Nov already.
When & where is Celtic music fest. Sounds like good excuse for a trip.
Days Camped 2016 91, 2017 110
Days camped 2018 136
nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #37
Boxer

Full timer use ours for work 5 yrs 3 rv's 2 trucks
NED AND SHARON HOLCOMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #38

Headed to St Augustine on the 26th.
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #39

32 degrees and four MH at the Flying J, by 6pm. Amazing.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
10 more sleeps and we begin our journey from Nova Scotia to Fl!!!!....J
6 more!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping