Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #1

Why Campfires Not Allowed

It seems more and more I am having trouble finding a campground that allows fires. To me camping and campfires go hand in hand. I have noticed that as I hunt for destinations that ground fires are not allowed. Whats the thought brhind this? One CG explained that RVers dont want them because of the smoke from neighboring sites gets into there RV. Thoughts?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #2

The only campgrounds, that I know of, here in NC that don't allow fires are on the beach. All the mountain CG's that I've stayed in allow them. One campground explained to me that the lack of attention by some people along with the constant wind/breeze blowing could be a hazard. Makes sense to me plus at the beach, they pack you in fairly close together. Some CG's on the beach have a central area where they have a public campfire at night, but not all CG's do.
2004 F-150 4x4 Super Crew
Equalizer WDH
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
LunaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #3

in Michigan..State parks and county parks have a fire ring...on each site..that being said.. you could be told NO FIRES because of dry conditions....
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #4

Do those campgrounds cater to the jerks in the $400,000 land yachts?
I try to avoid places that don't want my business.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

That's strange. I'd avoid those CGs, too. Campfires are part of the experience and we wouldn't go to those places that don't allow them unless its a really dry area and the DNR has prohibited fires of all kinds. That sometimes happens.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #6

We have a "Fire Weather Watch/Warning" right now here in northern Illinois as I type..... and its 30 degrees.... crazy midwest.
braddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

What is the use of going camping if you can't make a big smoke? We love camping and building a nice campfire in the evening to sit around and talk. We even have a fire pit in our back yard that we use. I build a fire and we sit in the swing at night and watch it. Can't wait to get out there in some campground and build me another one. I have often wonder why some go camping and don't want to camp. I have been out in the woods since I was a very small boy, from the mountains of California to the woods of Tennessee.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #8

Some would say the rigs we "camp" in aren't really camping. Campfire or no campfire we all have differing pleasures of getting away. I remember when I was growing up that camping meant a pup tent and all meals cooked over an outdoor fire..I. aplaud my stepdad for those experiences as my sons knowledge of camping( he is 6 now) consist of a 33' travel trailer with 2 flat screen tv's and his wii. Note to self....take son out on primitive campout! Anyway..we just enjoy getting away from the hustle bustle...and usually we enjoy our friends campfires and have no need for our own. Been too dry here in MO last year for fires anyway. Enjoy!! Season is around the corner!

Steve and Michele Bassett
2014 Surveyor Select SV305
2005 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab 6.0 TurboDiesel
stevengb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #9

The only parks I’ve seen that don’t allow campfires are those that are commercially owned. If they don’t want to deal with the cost and hassle of firerings that have to be cleaned out it’s their prerogative.
State parks and COE campgrounds in this area allow campfires, but some control where the firewood comes from.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #10

Unfortunatly this "No Campfires" will likely become more of an issue in the future. With the ban on moving firewood in Mi, Oh, NY, and Pa [that I know for sure] due to the Emerald Ash Borer, and the enviro people pushing to cut down on smoke etc, I see in 10 years that a campfire will be a thing of the past in a lot of areas. Here in NY the state has passed a law dealing with wood burning outside boilers severly restricting their use, location, set-up and smoke output, and also a ban on ALL outside burning of brush wood etc, except for a couple of months in the spring. It's only a matter of time till the campfire bans hit.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
Grape Escape

As usual it's propably due to the minority few to spoil it for others.
We have cursed some people the way they burn everything in site and cause a stink thruout the camping area. Had others with their fire so close it was blowing in our trailer all weekend. It's a shame when you can't even sleep with your windows open.
I see large sites and properly laid out fire pits as not being a problem. It's when people have no regard for others and have a bonfire going continually.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #12

One of my pet peeves is people who have to have that campfire in the morning and after breakfast they leave the site and the campfire smolders all day long smoking up the entire campground.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Lindy, wasn't your state's ban on open fires put in place to reduce reduce wildfires and dangerous compounds that are released with open burning? I didn't think EAB was a factor in that decision. In fact, NY made an exception for campfires.

I really don't think that a ban on all campfires is even a remote consideration in the future. But I've been surprised before by the DNR and USDA so let's hope that doesn't happen.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 03-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #14

All you have to do is purchase a propane campfire ring. They look real and give off a lot of heat. The best part is when you want to go to bed just shut off the gas and the fire is out. It will burn for 18 hours on a 20 lbs tank of gas. It is less expensive to use then real wood and no smoke. Ours came with a stand so we can cook on it. We can have a campfire during fire bans in our area.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #15

up wind from me blowing in my direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post

One CG explained that RVers dont want them because of the smoke from neighboring sites gets into there RV. Thoughts?

that is one of the main reasons in my book
oh yes
I love my campfire
but
when there are three others
up wind from me blowing in my direction
I hate it so much
it will get into a RV very quickly
can be a headache before the night is over
one of the main reasons we go to the outdoors
is to get away from the city smell
and into the sweet smell
of
God's country

this is how we are some of the time
I enjoy mine
but
I do not enjoy yours

many areas are also fire prone areas

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
It seems more and more I am having trouble finding a campground that allows fires. To me camping and campfires go hand in hand. I have noticed that as I hunt for destinations that ground fires are not allowed. Whats the thought brhind this? One CG explained that RVers dont want them because of the smoke from neighboring sites gets into there RV. Thoughts?
I've not seen much incidence of banning campfires; but I understand the sentiment and logic behind it. We've been heavily smoked by neighbors who are apparently oblivious. Problem is some people don't know how to do a proper fire that burns well and is essentially smokeless. Some people use wet wood; some people go to bed and leave the fire smoking; so I can see it.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #17

Triguy; Yes NY made exception for campfires in the burning ban, but with the current restrictions of outdoor wood boilers for heat that was just put in place, and the ban on outdoor burning of brush etc, here in NY I foresee in 10 years the campfire exception will no longer be, and thus no camp campfires. It boils down to here in NY 99% of all things are controlled by state reps from New York City. City folks with no idea of what the rest of us 90% of the states country folks need or like. It will all boil down to politics, enviro people, and global warning????

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Triguy; Yes NY made exception for campfires in the burning ban, but with the current restrictions of outdoor wood boilers for heat that was just put in place, and the ban on outdoor burning of brush etc, here in NY I foresee in 10 years the campfire exception will no longer be, and thus no camp campfires. It boils down to here in NY 99% of all things are controlled by state reps from New York City. City folks with no idea of what the rest of us 90% of the states country folks need or like. It will all boil down to politics, enviro people, and global warning????
I see what you're saying and I really hope for your sake that NY won't go that far. That's just crazy.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 03-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

next they will try and regulate your alcohol beverage intake !
state parks in Iowa > no hard liquor . no glass bottles .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #20
Hob

The more people this country has, the more laws we will have.

Best Regards,
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote