Old 03-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
Why Campfires Not Allowed

It seems more and more I am having trouble finding a campground that allows fires. To me camping and campfires go hand in hand. I have noticed that as I hunt for destinations that ground fires are not allowed. Whats the thought brhind this? One CG explained that RVers dont want them because of the smoke from neighboring sites gets into there RV. Thoughts?

2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2015 Toyota Tundra
wfmdfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
The only campgrounds, that I know of, here in NC that don't allow fires are on the beach. All the mountain CG's that I've stayed in allow them. One campground explained to me that the lack of attention by some people along with the constant wind/breeze blowing could be a hazard. Makes sense to me plus at the beach, they pack you in fairly close together. Some CG's on the beach have a central area where they have a public campfire at night, but not all CG's do.

Foothills of NC
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 309BHL
2004 F-150 4x4 Super Crew
Equalizer WDH
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
LunaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
in Michigan..State parks and county parks have a fire ring...on each site..that being said.. you could be told NO FIRES because of dry conditions....
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Do those campgrounds cater to the jerks in the $400,000 land yachts?
I try to avoid places that don't want my business.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
That's strange. I'd avoid those CGs, too. Campfires are part of the experience and we wouldn't go to those places that don't allow them unless its a really dry area and the DNR has prohibited fires of all kinds. That sometimes happens.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
We have a "Fire Weather Watch/Warning" right now here in northern Illinois as I type..... and its 30 degrees.... crazy midwest.
Brad & Melissa
2002 Ford Expedition 4X4 4.6 ltr
1999 ForestRiver Flagstaff 829BHS
braddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
What is the use of going camping if you can't make a big smoke? We love camping and building a nice campfire in the evening to sit around and talk. We even have a fire pit in our back yard that we use. I build a fire and we sit in the swing at night and watch it. Can't wait to get out there in some campground and build me another one. I have often wonder why some go camping and don't want to camp. I have been out in the woods since I was a very small boy, from the mountains of California to the woods of Tennessee.
2009 Palomino Puma 25RS
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Some would say the rigs we "camp" in aren't really camping. Campfire or no campfire we all have differing pleasures of getting away. I remember when I was growing up that camping meant a pup tent and all meals cooked over an outdoor fire..I. aplaud my stepdad for those experiences as my sons knowledge of camping( he is 6 now) consist of a 33' travel trailer with 2 flat screen tv's and his wii. Note to self....take son out on primitive campout! Anyway..we just enjoy getting away from the hustle bustle...and usually we enjoy our friends campfires and have no need for our own. Been too dry here in MO last year for fires anyway. Enjoy!! Season is around the corner!

Steve and Michele Bassett
2014 Surveyor Select SV305
2005 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab 6.0 TurboDiesel
stevengb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
The only parks I’ve seen that don’t allow campfires are those that are commercially owned. If they don’t want to deal with the cost and hassle of firerings that have to be cleaned out it’s their prerogative.
State parks and COE campgrounds in this area allow campfires, but some control where the firewood comes from.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Unfortunatly this "No Campfires" will likely become more of an issue in the future. With the ban on moving firewood in Mi, Oh, NY, and Pa [that I know for sure] due to the Emerald Ash Borer, and the enviro people pushing to cut down on smoke etc, I see in 10 years that a campfire will be a thing of the past in a lot of areas. Here in NY the state has passed a law dealing with wood burning outside boilers severly restricting their use, location, set-up and smoke output, and also a ban on ALL outside burning of brush wood etc, except for a couple of months in the spring. It's only a matter of time till the campfire bans hit.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote