Old 05-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #1

Wildwood or Cape May, NJ Campgrounds

Hello,
DW informed me today that there is a family event to celebrate an Aunt's 80 birthday in Wildwood NJ in late July. This Aunt was the one whose house was the family center when I was a kid and we visited from CT.
Anyhow, I would like to take the TT down, instead of a hotel, and spend some time. Knowing it is prime season I need to make reservations soon.
Can anyone provide any first hand recommendations? No children, we are in our mid-50's.
Thank you in advance!

2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Sea Pines outside of Avalon, NJ is pretty quiet most of the time.there are kids and a playground, but it's been fairly low key when we've been there as Thousand Trails members.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
Hello,
DW informed me today that there is a family event to celebrate an Aunt's 80 birthday in Wildwood NJ in late July. This Aunt was the one whose house was the family center when I was a kid and we visited from CT.
Anyhow, I would like to take the TT down, instead of a hotel, and spend some time. Knowing it is prime season I need to make reservations soon.
Can anyone provide any first hand recommendations? No children, we are in our mid-50's.
Thank you in advance!
There are lots of CG's along Rt 9 which is the old main corridor of South NJ. You can search on the net for CG in South Jersey. Most are older and smallish for Big Rigs, many can accommodate however. Better look soon, they do fill up in prime beach season......
Old 05-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Staying at Seashore Campsites in Cape May next week.
Good reviews.
Will let you know our experience.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Staying at Seashore Campsites in Cape May next week.
Good reviews.
Will let you know our experience.
We haven't been, but my daughter in law goes to Seashore every year and like its very much. We were at Travelers Depot last year, very roomy sites.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #6

My 1st choice would be Seashore 2nd would be Depot,Depot would be farther from Wildwood but more laid back then Seashore. There is also Cape May mobile Estates which is more of a mobile home park that does have campsites but is mostly in the sun very little if at all shade.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #7

ok an update! Most places were full but we did find a cg that had a E/W hookup. This is fine with us as we will be arriving late Thursday afternoon, at the beach on Friday, at the birthday/family reunion on Saturday, Sunday probably more family and leave on Monday. There are shower facilities plus we have boondocked for 5 days at state parks in VT that have no hookups.
The woman (Karen) that I talked to at Acorn Campground near Cape May Court House was extremely pleasant. When she found out where I live, it turns out that they have a winter ski home about 7 miles from my house! Small World!
I will post pics and review of the cg.
Thank you for all the replies.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Just returned from Seashore Campsites.

Word of caution: Our GPS wanted to route us though a museum just down the road from the campground. If you come down route 9 you must use Tabernacle Road to get to Seashore Drive. If you pass that it is a LONG drive almost into cape may before you can turn around.

The campsite was close quarters but the sites were terrific. VERY clean. Nice pool and two ponds. One for fishing and the other a swimming hole.

About 1/2 the sites are seasonal (not surprising since it is a great spot close to both the Cape May beaches (awesome) and Wildwoods (Also awesome).

Must See:

Sunset Beach at Sunset - They do an very moving sunset service using a burial flag from a different honored vet every night at official sunset. They fly the flag that was donated by the family, and read a summary of the Vet's service. They play God Bless America, the National Anthem, and the TAPS as the flag is lowered. The night we were there they honored a WW I vet who served in the Argonne and Ardennes Campaigns. Try not to cry; I dare ya.

Concrete Shipwreck (not much left; but the history is fascinating) located just off Sunset beach.

The WW II artillery spotting tower - Fully functional and maintained by local Vets who charge 5 bucks to climb the tower and use the spotting and targeting equipment.

The Cape May Lighthouse - You can go up to see the view of the beaches and the "Bunker" on the beach in front of the lighthouse.

The "Bunker" - a Concrete pill box that housed the coastal artillery crews during WW II

The Wildwoods Boardwalk - Worth the trip alone.

The Aviation Museum at the former Wildwoods NAS - Very cool, but I thought the fee's charged for children were ridiculous. While 10 bucks for adults was high for this type of museum (a small non-profit), the 8 dollars for ages 3 -12 made me so mad I walked out. The Museum at the former Willow Grove NAS (also a non-profit) is free for everyone and operates just fine on donations and the museum gift shop.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #9

THanks Herk...glad you had a nice time...I spent many a childhood summer in Cape May as that is where Mom was from and we would visit as kids. Familiar with all you said above.
I remember driving to Cape May from Connecticut is a 1967 VW Camper. We had (Mom, Dad, sis and me, plus Tina the dachshund) spent 6 months in 1969 traveling around the country in that camper. great memories!
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #10

I have not stayed here but received information from the Timonium,MD RV show and receive e-mails from them. Looks like a nice location. I am trying to go there to look around. RV Park Reviews show favorable reviews.
Just sharing.

Holly Shores Camping Resort, Midway Between Cape May and Wildwood NJ, We have Full Hook-Up Sites and Cabin and Trailer Rentals

"Camping is not just a past time it is my relaxing way of life"
buskirk21921 is offline   Reply With Quote