Old 09-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #1

Windows condensating

Does anyone else have their windows condensating in this weather with the heat on ? I cracked a window. Doesn't seem to help much.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarcon
Does anyone else have their windows condensating in this weather with the heat on ? I cracked a window. Doesn't seem to help much.
Sure with the heat on you increase the delta 'T' with outside. The more people breathe and cooking adding moisture, the more cold windows like it! Only help is ventiation with outside or better a small dehumidifier. High humidity is very bad for RV's over time. Warping, rotting will acelerate.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #3

Thanks Vince. I am going to get a mini dehumidifier. Found a few online.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #4

Altho' I'm uncertain about what weather you are referring too, you might consider the following-- based on many years of boating in many different climates and for extended periods.

As in a boat, circulation and expunging moist air is critical. Trapping moist air condenses on cold surfaces whether the windows or walls. Since your walls are likely more insulated than your single-pane windows (assumption) then moisture gathers on the windows. Any number of mathematical arguments can be found on the Internet.

But, cracking a forward hatch/window and a rear one allows movement from and too. Helping a flow-thru process can be done with fans as well, and most likely that’s necessary, again depending on the weather. Your task is to evacuate excess moisture when cooking via the above stove fan if you have one, and of course, moving air throughout your RV.

At times, it was even necessary to open up lockers and cabinets to move the air and reduce moisture.

Because fans are power consumers, you might consider simple muffin fans such as those in a computer. These are quiet, easy on consumption, and work on 12v-- provided you purchase those and have access to 12v. On 120v you’ll not have power drains so almost any fan works. Some marine fans also use little power, look into these online.

On our sailboat, moisture was always a problem until we balanced the conditions outside with those inside. Of great help were these fans which constantly moved air as I already explained, but we did have two solar powered ventilators as well. BTW, I’m referring to round disk fans which used sunlight charging and were always on. They come in many price ranges, sizes, etc. Look online.

Furthermore, when moisture on our ports increased-- we ventilated and moved more air. That meant turning on another fan and we opened each hatch more. To prevent moisture via rain, we used covers above the hatches which allowed air movement. Of course, the same holds true for our RV today, windows vs. hatches.

Finally, we better insulated areas which were poorly done via the factory. The barrier between outside cold temps and inside warm temps helped tremendously. That was a difficult design process but resulted in a world of difference.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 09-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #5

Having use the trailer for the winter in BC the dehumidifier is your best solution to the problem. You will also find the trailer will feel warmer when you lower the humidity in the unit. We had to empty the dehumidifier everyday. Keep your cabinet doors open to allow the air to circulate. As stated humidity is a big destroyer of a trailer.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #6

Please don’t think I’m saying "anyone" is wrong, and I don’t want to get into a verbal match, it’s up to you on what you think and do, along with how much you wish to spend in time and money.
Dehumidifiers, as they are discussing, are probably the canister type with crystalline added substances. A number of moisture attractants are available for these. Some substitutes we've seen used are those cast on driveways as de-ice'ers, and were much cheaper.
What I didn’t mention is that our vessel (40' length) was actually in the BC area where we mostly sailed, and of course South East Alaskan area was a favorite as well. We lived aboard in BC for 2 years even though we had a home in WA state, and then extended our voyages to Guatemala and the South Seas over the next 4 consecutive years. Yes, while in BC we had to return every 6 months as provided by law, but we returned almost immediately.
During our pre-BC-AK years our boat was in WA. You can consider it equally humid and about the same temp. Nevertheless, living aboard a boat in the winter, surrounded by water of course, is a challenge for both man and machine.
We did use dehumidifiers which plugged in to our AC when at a marina. They were of great help, meaning they caused circulation of warmer air in areas such as the engine compartment, the bilge area, our forward head, and a compartment housing the water desalination equipment and pumps.
These units were both (4) Golden Rods ™ at 15w each, and one round unit sold by West Marine at about the same wattage. However, we never used this method solely as when the temp rose, so did the humidity in the boat. It was a viscous circle until we learned.
Unfortunately, the only 100% method was is movement of air through the boat when we were away from 120v AC, and of course at the dock we used all of the above even when it rained day after day.
At great expense in heat loss (heat rises) our boat was not only toasty but dry, even when it snowed. Also of help was dry heat obtained from our diesel heater. Remember that propane contains moisture, electric heat does not.
So, at one point or another you’ll figure this out. Just don’t discard either one, experiment.
Mike
Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #7

I sit some damp rid on the dash of my MH and hang a bag of it in the washer/dryer area which lasts about 45 days. I also turn on the AC for about 10 minutes at a time when needed. That does the same thing a dehumidifier does. Why buy one when you already have one build in. Works for me.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL 378 View Post
Why buy one when you already have one build in. Works for me.
X2

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL 378
I sit some damp rid on the dash of my MH and hang a bag of it in the washer/dryer area which lasts about 45 days. I also turn on the AC for about 10 minutes at a time when needed. That does the same thing a dehumidifier does. Why buy one when you already have one build in. Works for me.
Guess it depends who's feeding the electric meter!