Old 10-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #1

Winter travel

E are heading south for the first time and we are not good planers. I would like some feed back on this. We are leaving MI the first week in Dec and will not come back until late March. We have made no reservation and plan on wondering South to stay in our preferred temperature range. Is this a bad idea. We are very flexible and don't like the crowds to much. We are in a 40' MH so if we need to stay in a WallMart for a day no big deal. I just wanted to know if finding a place for a week it month would be a issue.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #2

If you don't like crowds, try the Florida Panhandle. Two years ago (February), we spent a week in a national forest camp ground in the Apalachicola National Forest. Except for one night, we were all alone.

We went back last winter and were surprised to fing a campground host there. Oh well, two units in a campground still isn't very crowded.

The temperature there will not be as warm as in the southern part of the state, but still, quite comfortable.

Joel

Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #3

Hi Phil. (We camped together at Holland SP with Klein's this summer)I think I told you we're headed to Florida in January and will be coming back in March. We're headed to Apalachicola and will be volunteers at Orman House Historical Park in the town of Apalachicola in February. This is not a camping park but has full hook ups for volunteers. There is also a beautiful campground on St. Georges Island just south of Apalachicola but you may need early reservations to get a spot. I basically commented on this thread because this will be our first trip of considerable distance and I'd like to see what other people have to say. If we need to talk, Dick can provide phone numbers.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #4

Yes, St. George Island S.P. has a very nice campground. However, we preferred both the campground and the beaches at St. Joseph Peninsula S.P. a little bit west of there.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote