Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
RJ CAST

Winterize or Not in Florida

Picking up our new Forest River Travel Trailer in April and planning our 2018 Trips. Home town is Toronto, going to stay close to home July & August
our 3rd Grandchild.
Thinking about heading to Florida in October and staying until mid-November. Head home in November and stay for Christmas, BUT would like to leave the trailer Avenger 27RBS in Florida. Would probably head back to spend time in Florida late February and maybe travel to the South-west.
Any suggestions on where to store the trailer so I do not have to winterize it. Should it be stored indoors or is outside storage OK for a few months.
Please let us know if you have any advice on good camp grounds in Florida and Storage facilities.
Thanks,
RJ
robcastonguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

We live in Central Florida, just west of Daytona Beach, and have never winterized.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #3

We live in north central Florida and have never winterized. Ours is stored under a tarp awning and next to the garage. Freezing temps are usually gone by 9:00 am.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #4

I'm in S Texas....about the same. Some years I do, some I don't. If I were going to leave it for a few months, I'd just drain the water heater and lines...maybe blow them with air and that would be it.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
Always Learning

What part of Florida?
Old 02-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #6
RJ CAST

Not sure what part of Florida, thinking around Orlando so we can take the grand-kids to see Mickey. Any suggestions on where to store the Avenger 27RBS around Orlando, November to January
robcastonguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
Always Learning

Personally, if Orlando or north- I'd definitely blow out the lines before leaving it in November. In January and February, there's always a chance of freezes overnight. No sense in taking the minute risk of one of them impacting the water lines. Blowing them out takes more time getting the air compressor out than it does to actually do the work.

As for storage, I'd contact the campgrounds that you're considering staying at. Most have storage at them. The place I stay the most in Orlando is the Thousand Trails park in Clermont and I know it does. Other places I've stayed at are Lake Magic, Winter Garden RV Resort (had questionable electric setup), Disney's Fort Wilderness (though it's hella expensive!), and Bill Frederick Park at Turkey Lake (an Orlando city campground). We'll soon stay at Tropical Palms- I've heard mixed reviews of it.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #8

X2 on ependydad comment. North of Orlando is iffy. This year, maybe, but other years, it got pretty cold, even some freezes in SW FL. it doesn't take that long to drain the lines and you won't have to worry over Christmas.

Florida is surrounded by ocean water and that has a lot to do with freezing. Near the coasts, it does not get as cold as inland, say 15-20 miles inland. In SW Florida, it can be 34 degrees near the coast and into the 20's farther inland.

On another note, we had some Canadian fiends visit us this past week. They have been coming to the states for years and never knew this about insurance. Canadian to US health insurance plans have specific dates. If you entered the US just one day early, the health insurance is void. They were pretty surprised to find that out.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #9

You may want to consider a campground away from the Orlando area (west of Clermont) as the cost of a campsite or storage is more. My business is located in Bushnell Fl and I just sold a 5th wheel that was in the same spot since new in 2000 and it never was winterized and never froze. I only stayed in it once or twice a week when I didn't want to make the trip home. When it was real cold... home to a nice warm house not in the chilly 5th wheel. There were many days of cold weather that it survived through. It might get below freezing but it is generally for only a few hours at best then by 9am it would be well above the freezing mark.

There are several campgrounds like Red Oaks, a Sun campground and many smaller private ones. You would most likely get a much better rate and the owners of the park might be helpful in looking after your RV while your gone.

Red Oaks is where I had my 5th wheel, there are also a couple of storage places down the street from Red oaks.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #10

There are 100's of outside storage yards all over Florida that are independent of campgrounds. They store boats, trailers, motorhomes. Being close to Micky cost $$$$$ Cheaper to drive. Being close to the coast cost $$$$. Look to the center of the state, Sebring, Avon Park.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er

We live on the northeast side of Orlando and have never winterized. If you’re in the panhandle of the state or north of I-10, I would recommend winterizing.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:37 PM   #12

Living in the Tampa Bay area I never even thought of "Winterizing". In fact, I wouldn't know how to do it. Never had to add cold weather additive into our diesel either. In fact, as I type this it is 11:30pm on a February night and our A/C is running.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #13
2003 Georgetown 325

Winterizing in FL

I've been in FL since 2011. I have never winterized my rig. I live in Central Florida, in Ocala. This year it got down to 23 F with no problem in the rig. I'd stay away from the coast however. It gets colder over there.
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiver View Post
I've been in FL since 2011. I have never winterized my rig. I live in Central Florida, in Ocala. This year it got down to 23 F with no problem in the rig. I'd stay away from the coast however. It gets colder over there.
I beg to differ with you. Been here 67 years. Inland temps are always colder than the coast. Watch the tv weather guys. The Oranges and Strawberries Freeze. They are inland. The wind blowing in off the water helps keep things from freezing on the coast. The reason to avoid the coast is $$$$$ No freeze issues down here south of Tampa. But I do believe in climate change. I can remember the water pump to the house freezing up. That stopped about 20 years ago.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #15
Ham Call N8SAC

If in doubt winterize two gal of antifreeze don’t cost that much. If you have TT set up right will only take less than 15 min. To pump in TT. Is a whole Lott cheaper than a repair bill. I don’t trust just blowing lines out. My son did that in SC when I brought TT home I had a problem.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #16

North central FL and have never winterized !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #17

To be sure of the weather, you will need to be in South FL. It only drops to 32 F about once every 50 years. If you leave your RV much above West Palm Beach you could have trouble with cold weather. You will be far away from your RV so better safe then sorry. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I beg to differ with you. Been here 67 years. Inland temps are always colder than the coast. Watch the tv weather guys. The Oranges and Strawberries Freeze. They are inland. The wind blowing in off the water helps keep things from freezing on the coast. The reason to avoid the coast is $$$$$ No freeze issues down here south of Tampa. But I do believe in climate change. I can remember the water pump to the house freezing up. That stopped about 20 years ago.
X2. We have lived in Bradenton for 3 years, 17 years in Port Charlotte and now in Punta Gorda. The Gulf has a significant influence on temperature along the coast. Say east of I-75. in the summer, it is hotter inland off the coast and as-well-as colder in winter. The summer temps along the coast are rarely above 95 degrees in summer and rarely down to 32 degrees in winter. Towns like Arcadia can drop into the 20s and over a 100 degrees. It is still SW Florida.

Along the coast, there is an occasional frost, but the temp is still above freezing. And, yes, I too thought that it had to be 32 degrees to freeze.

The colder winter inland winter temperatures are actually beneficial for strawberries and citrus, but not too cold for too long. Growers will encase their crops in ice to safe them. Inland summer temperatures are too hot for vegetables.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
X2. We have lived in Bradenton for 3 years, 17 years in Port Charlotte and now in Punta Gorda. The Gulf has a significant influence on temperature along the coast. Say east of I-75. in the summer, it is hotter inland off the coast and as-well-as colder in winter. The summer temps along the coast are rarely above 95 degrees in summer and rarely down to 32 degrees in winter. Towns like Arcadia can drop into the 20s and over a 100 degrees. It is still SW Florida.

Along the coast, there is an occasional frost, but the temp is still above freezing. And, yes, I too thought that it had to be 32 degrees to freeze.

The colder winter inland winter temperatures are actually beneficial for strawberries and citrus, but not too cold for too long. Growers will encase their crops in ice to safe them. Inland summer temperatures are too hot for vegetables.
Agree 100%. By "Always Colder" I was referring to Wintertime temps as that was the subject of the post.

Tags
winter, winterize