Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #1

WV/PA/MD Fall Foliage

I'm looking for recommendations for someplace that does fall foliage train rides that have an RV or State Park nearby. I'm looking in Western MD, WV, or PA - something within about a 6 hour drive from Northern VA.

Thanks!
Manassas, VA
2011 camping days booked - 18 and counting
allards5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #2

You might want to check out the New Hope and Ivyland railroad in eastern PA. They do some great train rides and they operate out of a beatiful little town. There are plenty of campgrounds up in Bucks County, PA, so you wouldnt be staying too far away!
DogandTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Forest River Forums - cfsoistman's Album: Western MD Scenic RR.

Western MD Scenic Railroad The Western Maryland Scenic Railroad | Allegany County, Western Maryland

We went last November. A little late to see the colors at their peak. I suggest you plan early. It's a real nice ride.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad - Where Eagles Fly!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #5

Landcaster PA around the 3rd week of October, Old Mill Stream is where we have stayed and not far from the Rail Road Museum and they have train rides that takes you across the country sides, great shopping too.

I am about an hour an a 1/2 from Hershey and Landcaster is about 15 miles from there. I am also about an hour and 1/2 from Northen VA (Air and Space Museum) at Dulles Airport.

For those that like aircraft and space travel i will be posting some info and pic about the Space Shuttle Discovery and the prototype Space Shuttle Enterprise Soon. The Enterprise will be leaving the Air and Space Museum in Chantilly VA. Starting Monday and for the next week or so a crew will be at the Muesum preparing the Enterprise for departure.
Prior to the Enterprise's resting place at the museum in the Space Hanger it was stored in a hanger over at Dulles Airport along with the SR-71 Blackbird. The SR-71 is at the Museum and one of a cluster of large aircraft you will see as you are standing on the overlook.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Strasburg Rail Road - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

RR Museum of PA :: Welcome

National Toy Train Museum - Toy Trains for All Ages

http://www.choochoobarn.com/

If you're in Lancaster County PA, these are all within a minute or two of each other.

I'll be over that way on the 15th of April.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 04-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Strasburg Rail Road - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

RR Museum of PA :: Welcome

National Toy Train Museum - Toy Trains for All Ages

http://www.choochoobarn.com/

If you're in Lancaster County PA, these are all within a minute or two of each other.

I'll be over that way on the 15th of April.
Charlie, thanks for chiming in, i couldn't remember the name of it and i was on the train for the first time last year.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #8

All -

Thanks for the great suggestions. I appreciate it.

@cfsoistman & rockwood06 - Already booked at Old Mill Stream for June - the boys love Dutch Wonderland and Strasburg Railroad. Stayed there last year - the Amish couple that came through the campground in the mornings with their wagon of homemade goodies was a real treat. We were just at Udvar-Hazy Air & Space last weekend - we're about 30 mins away and it's a favorite place to spend a day.

@cfsoistman - When you went to Western MD Scenic RR where did you stay?

@mtnguy - Any recommendations for places to stay for Potomac Eagle RR?

- Karen
Manassas, VA
2011 camping days booked - 18 and counting
allards5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Charlie, thanks for chiming in, i couldn't remember the name of it and i was on the train for the first time last year.
I've been a TCA Member since 1989. I probably know that area as well as my own town. We've rode the Strasburg Train probably a dozen times, last time was 2009 in July. We frequent the Lancaster area. it's not too far away and there's plenty to see. Good food if you want to go out for dinner and plenty of Farmer's Markets etc. You have to go to the National Christmas Center if you've never been. It's so nice with all types of decorations from the past and over seas.

National Christmas Center - Family Attraction and Christmas Museum - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania | Home

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 04-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allards5 View Post
All -

@cfsoistman & rockwood06 - Already booked at Old Mill Stream for June - the boys love Dutch Wonderland and Strasburg Railroad. Stayed there last year - the Amish couple that came through the campground in the mornings with their wagon of homemade goodies was a real treat. We were just at Udvar-Hazy Air & Space last weekend - we're about 30 mins away and it's a favorite place to spend a day.

- Karen
Little Orleans Campground.

Little Orleans Campground

The road is a bit narrow and windy but it's not real bad. I towed my Grand AM to the campground and used it when we went to WMSR. It's less than an hour drive from the camprground.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 04-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
All -

- Karen
Karen, while you were at the Air and Space did you notice the new section? it the new Restoration Hanger. it's not open yet but will be soon. The new hanger is an additional 250,000 Sq Ft. There are two aircraft in there already just waiting for Smithsonian's Restoration crew to start working on them as soon as the building permits are releast and the punch list is complete.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I've been a TCA Member since 1989. I probably know that area as well as my own town. We've rode the Strasburg Train probably a dozen times, last time was 2009 in July. We frequent the Lancaster area. it's not too far away and there's plenty to see. Good food if you want to go out for dinner and plenty of Farmer's Markets etc. You have to go to the National Christmas Center if you've never been. It's so nice with all types of decorations from the past and over seas.

National Christmas Center - Family Attraction and Christmas Museum - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania | Home
We have not been at the National Christmas Center, but we will check it out. We camp in Hershey every weekend so that will give us just one other thing to do, thanks.......Charlie, have you eaten at Shady Maple? We may be going there for Easter.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
We have not been at the National Christmas Center, but we will check it out. We camp in Hershey every weekend so that will give us just one other thing to do, thanks.......Charlie, have you eaten at Shady Maple? We may be going there for Easter.
We've been there many times, generally on a weekday. Friday's and Saturday's are crowded. However, they are closed on Sunday though.

Smorgasbord

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

- Karen
I haven't done that trip yet, so I am unfamiliar with the area. I hope to do that this year.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote