Old 02-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #11

I tow the same trailer with a GMC Yukon XL Denali with the Autoride suspension. I use an Eqaulizer hitch and the manual tells you how to set up with auto adjusting shocks. Even though I'm well within my weight limits and have a fairly good wheel base, every now and then I long for a bit more beef in the tow vehicle. Most SUVs like mine are tuned for ride comfort versus towing performance. The WDH with sway control helps, but the softer suspension can let it get a bit squirrely from time to time. This same vehicle pulled my Roo 23ss much better, but then again it was shorter and a bit lighter. I pull in the mountains and fine with it there, it's out on the open plains of Colorado where the winds get going that I can really tell it is back there.

2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #12

Sreddy: my owners manual does not mention Self-leveling Suspension. I don't recall them being listed by the dealer (I am the 2nd owner). I will double check with the VIN # @ the dealer.

P

Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #13

Just for an example, I have a Wildwood 23BHLE, the dry weight listed on the brochure is 4225, the GVWR is 7695. I had a 05 Suburban, which according to the numbers I am well within limits. I have never had the trailer, suburban, or combo on the scales, but when I on the highway, I did not like the burden it seemed to put on the Suburban, with a transmission temp gauge I was always running hotter than I wanted, even with an aftermarket transmission cooler. When pulling an average grade the temp would bump to 250 degrees.

My suggestion, beef up on the tow vehicle or downsize your plans for the trailer, the problem with running max on your limits, there is no margin for error. The truck will perform under perfect conditions, but when forced outside those perfect conditions problems will occur. Example given ascending and descending grades, heavy traffic with sudden stops, high wind conditions, any adverse weather conditions.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #14

Wow...that was running hot on the trans for sure. I have the temp reading up on the display, especially when pulling the trailer up into the mountains. The highest I've seen the Denali get (with factory tow pkg/cooler) is about 212 and that is after pulling for miles up very steep grades into the Colorado high country.
2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #15

The reason we liked the 2501SS is because it has everything on our list of must haves: bunks, shower (not tub), dinette, couch, and no tenting. Can someone suggest a TT that has all this that the Exped will tow comfortably? It's bought and I really don't want a new truck.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberianKhatru View Post
The reason we liked the 2501SS is because it has everything on our list of must haves: bunks, shower (not tub), dinette, couch, and no tenting. Can someone suggest a TT that has all this that the Exped will tow comfortably? It's bought and I really don't want a new truck.
Considering the fairly short wheelbase of the Expedition, you might want to consider something in the 24' total length or under category. Have you looked at the Rockwood 2603 ?? I think the Murphy bed option gives you a couch when folded against the wall. Going with a smaller camper would allow you a better weight margin when loading up the family and camping gear.

With all of the answers that you got on this post, I don't think anyone said you can't pull the 2501ss with the Expy. It just might as safe or pleasurable towing experience as towing something smaller......I guess that is mostly true for any towing combination if we think about it. I understand that the Expy uses an F150 frame, which is stout. But usually the spring the SUVs to give a softer ride, and of course the wheelbase is shorter.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #17

We used to pull our 2501SS with a F150. It worked okay but it always seemed to struggle going up any mountains (Rocky's). My husband thought in time we would kill the truck so we now have a Chev 2500HD. Haven't tried pulling with it yet but hope it will be better. We tend to pack the back of the truck with wood, bikes, coolers, generator etc... Also 4 people in the cab.

Giselle

Southern Alberta, CANADA
gizzys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags