Old 02-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #1

07 Expedition + Rockwood 2501SS

I own a 2007 Expedition with the factory tow package. (5.4L V8, 2WD, 6 speed automatic, 3.31 gears, 116 in. wheelbase). Factory tow rating is 9200 lbs with a max tongue weight of 920 lbs. I currently tow a 2001 FW/Coleman Timberlake pop-up. I mainly camp close by but occasionally travel out of state. Primarily, I want to be able to tow into the NC/VA mountains.

I am looking at the 2011 Rockwood 2501SS and a couple others but this is the top pick. Will this be a good match for my TV? What WDH would be recommended? What performance issues can I expect?

This is my first post here. Thanks, Paul

Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi, I think you should double check your maximum tow rating. It varies with gear ratio and 3.31s are far from optimal for towing. 9,200 seems really high for 3.31s. I doubt that your tow rating is that high. The other consideration for you is your wheelbase. 116" is pretty short. The rule of thumb is to divide your wheelbase by 5 and that is an approximation of the maximum trailer length you should consider. So, 116/5 is 23 feet. There are several different hitches out there that are nice; Equalizer, Reese Straight-Line to name a couple. If you wind up stretching the length of trailer (beyond 23 feet) I would definitely recommend some good anti-sway control. (More than a friction bar).

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #3

I confirmed the info on my Exped. Axle code 15 is 3.31 final drive and is the only option on the 2wd with the towing package. The maximum towing figure was wrong but only by 100#s: It's 9100 with a 910 hitch weight max. The 6 speed tranny is geared to supposedly make up for the axle ratio according to Ford engineers.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Paul.

To decide if this is a good match for your Expedition, I think you should look at some other ratings and forget "tow" ratings. The listed tow rating of 9100lbs is optimistic and too high and will probably come down once Chevy starts to use the new standards in a year or two.

Instead, concentrate on these three ratings: You need to be under the TV's gross vehicle rating (GVWR), the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) and the front and rear axles (GAWR) ratings.

Let's start with 1) GVWR and 2) GCWR and leave off the axle ratings for a moment.

1) For this, you will need one rating and two weights: What is the Expedition's GVWR, what does your Expedition weigh and what is the weight of all people and cargo?

2) What is the TV's GCWR?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Welcome Paul.

The listed tow rating of 9100lbs is optimistic and too high and will probably come down once Chevy starts to use the new standards in a year or two.
Yep. The F150 with 3.55s is rated at less than 9100.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberianKhatru View Post
I own a 2007 Expedition with the factory tow package. (5.4L V8, 2WD, 6 speed automatic, 3.31 gears, 116 in. wheelbase). Factory tow rating is 9200 lbs with a max tongue weight of 920 lbs.

I am looking at the 2011 Rockwood 2501SS and a couple others but this is the top pick. Will this be a good match for my TV? What WDH would be recommended? What performance issues can I expect?
Well, I never would have believed it, but here it is in black and white (OK, blue on green ): https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...trp20Apr08.pdf

Make sure that you have the heavy duty tow package....... I think there was a regular tow package about that time, and that would mean your Expy has a lower GCRW and tow rating.

Paul, where you did you get your 2nd figures from, especially the tongue weight ??

Even though the weights might be in order, I have the same concerns as acadianbob......that is a 27'5" trailer being pulled by a fairly short wheelbased tow vehicle. It is probably not going to be a pleasant driving experience, especially in the mountains of NC & VA.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #7

They only had 1 tow package that included a bargeman connector and tranny cooler. The other only had a 4 pin boat connector.

The owners manual states the tow capacity is 9200 lbs. The integrated hitch rating is 9100 lbs with a maximum tongue weight of 910 lbs. It's also on the hitch. Those ratings do require a WDH system.

The GCWR Is 14,928 lbs. The GVWR is 7400 lbs. I don't have actual vehicle weight numbers. Curb weight is 5578. 175 lbs for gas. Add 500 lbs for 3 people. Even with another 500 lbs for junk and options the total should be under 6800 lbs.

Ok then, what does all this mean?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The GCWR Is 14,928 lbs. The GVWR is 7400 lbs. I don't have actual vehicle weight numbers. Curb weight is 5578. 175 lbs for gas. Add 500 lbs for 3 people. Even with another 500 lbs for junk and options the total should be under 6800 lbs.

Ok then, what does all this mean?
7400 (GVWR )
- 5578 (less the weight of the TV)
- 675 (less the weight of all passengers and cargo you carry in the truck)
= 1147 (equals the payload you have remaining for the weight of the trailer's tongue).

Even loading this TT to the gills and using its GVWR your tongue weight would be below 1147lbs. TW will probably fall in the 800 Ė 1000lb range (12-15%). Your hitch has a maximum tongue weight of 910 lbs, so you need to be careful loading this trailer. Both in terms of the amount of stuff you carry and where you load it into the TT. Iíd make sure to buy a scale to weigh the tongue occasionally before heading out, which is a good practice to get into anyway.

6253 (The TV's weight with you and your family and cargo you carry in the truck (from above))
+6653 (TTís GVWR or use the actual fully loaded weight of the trailer (including cargo, some water batteries, propane, hitch, etc).
= 12,906 (This total must be less than the Expedition's GCWR of 14,928). Youíre good here.

As for your original questions.
Performance: Listen carefully to the good and bad reports from people who have your vehicle and a trailer close to yours. Everyone else is just guessing; although usually well-educated and backed by experience. Iím just saying every TV/TT combo is different.

MY ďguessĒ is that the vehicle will pull fine as you fall within Ford's specs. You will know the trailer is back there (but thatís to be expected with a short half ton). You should feel comfortable letting this engine rev up and downshift as needed. Thatís also the nature of a gasser. Keep the speed below 65 and preferably 60 or less. This is safer, decreases the potential for sway and saves on some gas. MPG will be bad regardless. You may struggle in the mountains. I'm not familiar enough with your area to say.

I donít believe this TT is too long for your vehicle. Get a good hitch like an Equal-i-zer (not the cheap one) or the Reese Dual Cam and learn how to set them up yourself. Among other things, these will help mitigate trailer sway. A used Hensley or Propride is the gold standard but I donít think you need those unless you want to completely eliminate the chance that this TT will sway.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The owners manual states the tow capacity is 9200 lbs. The integrated hitch rating is 9100 lbs with a maximum tongue weight of 910 lbs. It's also on the hitch. Those ratings do require a WDH system.
That is so weird. Ford put a hitch on the Expy that stats a lower tow capacity than what it the vehicle is rated for. I know it is only 100 lbs. difference, but with every other setup that I have seen the hitch rating is equal to or over the to maximum tow rating for the vehicle.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #10

OP - Does your Expedition have the self levelling suspension (available with the max tow option)? If so the selection of WD hitch systems may be limited or it may be that WD systems are not recommended with your setup.
edit - it appears Reese has special procedures for self levelling suspensions - http://www.etrailer.com/question-17618.html on the Ex

Tags