Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

1/2 ton owners...Have you checked your spare?

I ran over something and my TPMS notified me of a major air leak. Made it to a gas station and found I have a full size TEMP spare. I was pissed because I thought my 2011 Laramie Crew had every option except the roof and iTBC.

I let Ram know my displeasure with this and promptly had a friend in the salvage business get me a steel 17" wheel for $75 (since the 20" matching chrome are $$$). As fate would have it, Walmart had a BF sale on the 265/70/17 Wranglers for $119. Of course I snatched one up. So now I have a regular full size 17" wheel as a spare that I carry in the bed of my truck.

I just thought it appalling that with what these new 1/2 ton trucks can do, that any OEM would have the gall to put a TEMP of any kind on a full-size truck. On a Ranger or S-10, I could see it...but not on a full-size!

Thought I'd share my experience since I'd hate for someone to be out there towing and not know what they have as a backup.

One question: I haven't tried it yet since it's been so cold...but will the FS wheel/tire fit underneath the bed so I can replace the TEMP tire and leave that crap in my garage? I'm assuming it will but wanted to ask.

V-Dub

2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide CVO - V&H HO's & PC-V
V-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #2

I can confirm that my Ford has a full sized spare. I've actually had to use it 3 or 4 times already in the two years I've had it. The tire sensors saved me each time. The last time on the coldest day of the year (what are the odds of that?). I was able to return back to the barn and get the tire fixed there instead of being stuck somewhere in the wind and cold in my dress clothes. Personally, a full sized spare would be a selling point for me.

Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Infractee

IMHO;
I would be careful with a spare that is not same O.D. as the other tires. Especially if you have 4WD or even a limited slip rear end if replacing a rear flat tire as any more than just a slow speed trip of a few miles to a tire shop can do serious damage to the clutches in the LS unit.

Again, IMHO & IMOE
Old 01-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
IMHO;
I would be careful with a spare that is not same O.D. as the other tires. Especially if you have 4WD or even a limited slip rear end if replacing a rear flat tire as any more than just a slow speed trip of a few miles to a tire shop can do serious damage to the clutches in the LS unit.

Again, IMHO & IMOE

17" is the stock tire on other models. The Laramie comes with 20". Same OD from what I can tell. It's the same OD as the TEMP spare anyway...but a bonafide tire that can handle weight if I were loaded.

V-Dub
Old 01-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #5

Thanks for the heads up.
My F150 and F350 both have/had steel spare wheels with tires that match the ones on the road.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Dub View Post
17" is the stock tire on other models. The Laramie comes with 20". Same OD from what I can tell. It's the same OD as the TEMP spare anyway...but a bonafide tire that can handle weight if I were loaded.

V-Dub

The important thing is that it is the same O.D. (outside diameter) as the tires on your truck.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Dub View Post

Thought I'd share my experience since I'd hate for someone to be out there towing and not know what they have as a backup.

V-Dub
if you do a pre insp of tire pressures including the spare before you go camping then you would of known it is not a FS. better to know it needs air at home then on the road

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
if you do a pre insp of tire pressures including the spare before you go camping then you would of known it is not a FS. better to know it needs air at home then on the road
I double that. It is easier with the Jeep, as the spare is right there. But, I also do 5 tire rotations AND buy 5 at a time. When I purchase a truck, one of the first things will be 5 black rims, 5 good LT tires, and find a place to mount the spare if it doesn't fit underneath.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #9

Toyota has full size spare with the same rim as other ri s
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #10

I'm new to this fellas. I didn't even think to ask about the spare when I bought it. I just glanced under there and saw a FS but didn't notice it was a TEMP until it was being mounted on the truck.

The OD on the 17", 20", and TEMP appear to be the same.

V-Dub