Old 08-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #1

12 volt air compressor's

Upon retirement the wife and I plan on going cross country and in pre planning I'm trying to put together my emergency repair kits. My F-350 requires some high pressure's in the tires 65 front and 80 back. Can anyone recommend a good 12 volt high volume compressor that would be up to the task of filling them if needed.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Harbor freight has a 150psi pancake type. I have the 100psi. Works fine. There are smaller ones available at higher prices if you search "portable compressors.". Good luck.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I actually have the Harbor Freight sales paper in front of me now. Lots of reviews and opinions but I was looking for folks who actually are pumping 80 pounds of air into a tire and not 32 -35 pounds and getting their opinions and suggestions. And price of course will be a consideration.

Thanks again.

dcheatwood forgot to ask, how long does it take to pump that kind of air into your tire.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Its hard with the 100 psi compressor. Takes multiple runs at it. A 150 must be better. I'd like a bigger one to get my Es up to 78psi.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
GLCM Warrior

We use one of these: VIAIR Corporation - 400P Compressor (P/N 40043)

It pumps my RV load rated E tires up to 80 psi without any problems. I've used it once on the F350 tires (same psi as yours) with no problems too.

It might be a little pricey...but it works very well, is compact, quiet and very easy to use!

Only thing I wish it had was a longer set of cables for hooking it to the battery. I figure I can extend its reach though using my jumper cables if need be. I also got a second air hose (25 ft extension) so that I can reach the RV tires without unhooking if needed...but it can also be hooked to the RV battery as another method to extend the reach.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #6

I do not have one with a tank where I can also set to under 40psi to blow out my lines. Are any of these capable of pumping up a tire and also blow out lines?

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #7

Lefty59: Now that's what I'm talking about. And a bit pricey like you said but if it works and you have one emergency where you need it then it's worth the price. I have AAA and blew a camper tire once. With my bottle jack and 18v impact wrench in hand, I changed the blow out in about 10 minutes way before AAA could have come out and do the same job. I don't like to wait for someone if I can do it myself.

Thanks for the link and info.

Just need to find the cheapest place to buy one now.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #8

Highly recommend. I just got this one and tried it out for the first time this week. Easy to use and works fast. This one comes with the extension hose and I can easily reach all of the tires on my TV and TT. Looks like it's about $50 less than I paid just a couple of weeks ago too!

http://www.amazon.com/Viair-40047-Au.../dp/B004B68XGC
Old 08-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #9

Pricey

Wow! Amazon had them for $161. Wonder what the difference is between this brand and the many others that look the same but cost much less? Harbor Freight shows about $69 right now but I wonder if will top off an RV tire up to 80 psi.

It's getting difficult to find 80 psi air on the road and I've been looking at the 12V compressors but find it difficult to believe they can top off an RV tire in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
Wow! Amazon had them for $161. Wonder what the difference is between this brand and the many others that look the same but cost much less? Harbor Freight shows about $69 right now but I wonder if will top off an RV tire up to 80 psi.

It's getting difficult to find 80 psi air on the road and I've been looking at the 12V compressors but find it difficult to believe they can top off an RV tire in a reasonable amount of time.
I believe the differences are that the 40047P-RV has the automatic shut-off and the RV model includes more accessories to fit all variety of RV tire types per the
manufacturer's description.

Tags
12 volt