Old 06-28-2016, 07:49 AM   #1
Engineer of Crazy Train

1A Auto Mirror Install on Ram 1500

Buying my '15 Ram EcoDiesel off the lot for a decent price, I wasn't able to get all the options that I wanted. One of them was the Flip Up Tow Mirrors. I had bought a pair of slip on tow mirrors to go over my existing mirrors, but I did not like them. So after hearing a lot of positive reviews, I bought aftermarket tow mirrors from 1Aauto.com. You have to go through all of them carefully, as you have to see which options your mirror has and match it up to the options in the particular mirror. For me, it is Power Adjust, Power Fold, Heated, Turn Signal, Puddle Light. The only option they didn't have was the dimming feature that tints the mirror. No big deal. One issue I did have while ordering, you can buy them in pairs (reduced pricing) or individually. Every time I get notification that a limited number of pairs available, they would sell out quick. So, I bit the bullet and ordered them individually.

Upon unboxing, I wanted to see any differences in quality. 1st I noticed was the gasket. I took the gaskets off the stock mirrors and swapped them with the aftermarket. While doing that, I noticed the inside of the stock mirrors were aluminum, while the inside of the aftermarket was plastic. The aftermarkets were still 14 pounds each. But, these days, plastics are unbelievably strong. We will see how they do.

During my pre install research, I found out that the stock tow mirrors have an additional bracket. I was able to locate that bracket, and got a pair, part numbers 68078242aa and 68078243aa. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until after the door was apart, that the door only has a hexagon hole where the mirrors mounted. I could order the factory nutserts, part #06507161AA, but then I would need a Nutsert tool with the proper M6x1.00 adapter. So, I went down to Harbor Freight, and pick up their Threaded Insert Riveter Kit 45 Pc. The 1/4-20 Nutserts worked great.

After mounting, I tested all the movements. Of course, because my truck came with non towing mirrors, the door module (yes, there is a "computer" in the door) doesn't recognize the flipped orientation. To me, it just takes a second of thinking to remember that, and when flipped, out is up, etc. That could be a drawback to some people.

There was one issue though. The drivers side on the new Rams have an Ambient Air Temperature sensor. I started my truck, and I see on the display -40 degrees and my check engine light came on. I unplug and replug the wires into the Door Module, and nothing. Since we will be leaving shortly, I just put everything back together. Well, apparently, these trucks are "smart". 85 degree day, and trying to use the AC, and the HVAC system sees -40 from this and basically says, "You fool, way too cold for the Air Conditioning." Yup, no AC. Luckily, the tow was only an hour away, and I was somewhat content that 1A auto was already shipping out a new mirror to replace this one (and telling me no need to send back the bad one). Heck, I have a parts mirror now. But, being the tech guy that I am, I had to make this mirror work. I would install a resistor, thermistor, or whatever, to trick the truck to thinking it was seeing a valid temp. After my trip, while trying to meter out the stock mirror from what wiring colors/pins I could find on Google, I notice something... a hatch.. with a little probe sticking out. I opened it. Wire colors matched. Checked the aftermarket, and there was a hatch. Took out both AAT sensors, and swapped them. Sure enough, bad sensor.

Side by side comparison.

Good look at the difference in build quality and gasket material.

Mirror install with the door panel off. 1st of the 3 nutserts are inserted into the door.

Mirror Installed with the aftermarket bracket.

Uncanny resemblance?

Sensor from the stock mirror.

Sensor location in the aftermarket mirror.

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #2

I am looking to do this to my 2011 Ram 1500.
Tiverton isn't to far from me, if I get stuck I will come look at yours!

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #3

Great job. I get nervous about pulling the door upholstery off, but since I'm not able to make a trade for a 2500hd or 3500hd right now I'm thinking of doing this to my 1500 silverado. I don't like the add on towing mirrors either.

The mirror prices at your link are very reasonable, I haven't seen them that cheap anywhere else.
I'd have to drill an extra hole in my door. Also the ones that fit my truck don't have the temp sensor. I guess I could just re-use the temp sensor on mine?
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
I am looking to do this to my 2011 Ram 1500.
Tiverton isn't to far from me, if I get stuck I will come look at yours!
No big deal. I don't know what year they started putting the Temp Sensor on the mirrors. I think it is within the last few years. Very easy to do, and now that you have this, you don't have to scramble for the right parts to do it correctly. Some people have not added the brackets, but the OEM did it for a reason, so I did, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
Great job. I get nervous about pulling the door upholstery off, but since I'm not able to make a trade for a 2500hd or 3500hd right now I'm thinking of doing this to my 1500 silverado. I don't like the add on towing mirrors either.

The mirror prices at your link are very reasonable, I haven't seen them that cheap anywhere else.
I'd have to drill an extra hole in my door. Also the ones that fit my truck don't have the temp sensor. I guess I could just re-use the temp sensor on mine?
Getting the doors off on the Ram were not hard, once you figure out how they come off. I bought a cheap set of panel removal tools from Harbor Freight. Well worth it, IMHO. As far as your GM product, I don't know if your mirror has a Temp Sensor. They have only put it there on the Rams for the past few years. Your Temp sensor may be elsewhere on the truck. Common place is in the grill area.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 06-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
No big deal. I don't know what year they started putting the Temp Sensor on the mirrors. I think it is within the last few years. Very easy to do, and now that you have this, you don't have to scramble for the right parts to do it correctly. Some people have not added the brackets, but the OEM did it for a reason, so I did, too.

Getting the doors off on the Ram were not hard, once you figure out how they come off. I bought a cheap set of panel removal tools from Harbor Freight. Well worth it, IMHO. As far as your GM product, I don't know if your mirror has a Temp Sensor. They have only put it there on the Rams for the past few years. Your Temp sensor may be elsewhere on the truck. Common place is in the grill area.
Some looking around on the errornet tells me that it is indeed behind the grill. The HD trucks have a temp sensor in the mirror which is used for engine functions somehow.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #6

Extremely well done. Our 2015 EcoDiesel had the brake control but NOT the tow mirrors (ridiculous). We told the dealer that we HAD to have the tow mirrors and "magically" the dealer installed them.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #7

Glad to hear you're happy with your upgrade. Had two pickups with OEM trailer mirrors and now have a 2015 with standard ones. Haven't noticed enough difference to bother any more.
In fact once in a restaurant parking lot I got my truck "keyed" because my trailer mirrors stuck out too far and someone walked into them They then "keyed" my truck and took off. Now I don't worry anymore...
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #8
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
Glad to hear you're happy with your upgrade. Had two pickups with OEM trailer mirrors and now have a 2015 with standard ones. Haven't noticed enough difference to bother any more.
In fact once in a restaurant parking lot I got my truck "keyed" because my trailer mirrors stuck out too far and someone walked into them They then "keyed" my truck and took off. Now I don't worry anymore...
What a P.O.S. to do that, all because they were probably too busy on their cell phone to see where they were going. But, one thing I like about these aftermarket mirrors is the Power Fold.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 07-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #9

My mirrors came yesterday, going to try and get around to unboxing them and installing them today.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #10

This has turned into quite an ordeal. I still have to get the passenger side door panel on.
Broke the plastic piece that's connected to the door lock rod and the power lock mechanism on the driver's side. Chevy garage said I had to buy the entire mechanism, $80. So I glued it together.

Then when I took off the passenger side that same piece broke again. I glued it again. Broke the same piece on both sides.

Tags