Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
Brigitte
 
boubou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston
Posts: 725
Trailer GVWR 7650
TV RGAWR 3900
Pretty sure the front is also 3900
How can I change the weight on the 1000 lbs tongue? I need to bring this down to 900

And I'll get the 1200 lbs bars
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram 1500 HEMI with integrated brake controller, tow mirrors and Michelins LTX/AT2 275/65R20 max load: 3750 lbs. @ 80 psi but we keep them 50-55 psi
Superglide 2700
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
Brigitte
 
boubou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston
Posts: 725
Even though we don't have much in the trailer, what if we move most of what's in the front compartment storage to the back of the trailer? Would that make the tongue weight lighter?
Maybe i shouod remove a propane tank? They are 30 lbs
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram 1500 HEMI with integrated brake controller, tow mirrors and Michelins LTX/AT2 275/65R20 max load: 3750 lbs. @ 80 psi but we keep them 50-55 psi
Superglide 2700
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
Yes i weighted the truck with just me in it and then added the weight of extra person and dogs to m y numbers. I only added 2 small bags with us in truck, maybe 30 lbs worth, and i had a full thank of gas on first weigh in and maybe 3/4 full the second. I can't imagine that would make that big of a difference?
By the added weight, do you mean that you added it on paper, or were the extra person, dogs, and gear added to the truck before the truck and trailer weigh-in ??? Adding the person and pets could contribute to the added weight on your front axle, and some to the rear axle. Depending on the size of person and dogs as well as the extra “bags”, that could skew the weights by a couple of hundred pound ( a 150 lb. person and 2, 75 lb. dogs is an extra 300 lbs !!!). So some of that extra 1000 lbs added to your truck which you think is tongue weight, could be possible passenger and cargo weight. If in fact you added 300 lbs., then that is an indication more of a 700 lb. tongue weight.

To do weigh-ins accurately, the same variables need to be incorporated. And if possible it is best to do it loaded for camping. All people, dogs, and cargo need to be in the same position during both weigh-ins get the most accurate figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
TV RGAWR 3900
Pretty sure the front is also 3900
I doubt that. Most trucks have much less GAWR on the front axle than the rear. The FAWR (front axle weight rating) should be listed on the driver’s door….a simple matter to look up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
How can I change the weight on the 1000 lbs tongue? I need to bring this down to 900
With the incomplete information provided so far, I am still not convinced that you have 1000 lb. tongue weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
And I'll get the 1200 lbs bars
Might want to wait until you get all of this sorted out. You are getting weight distributed to the front axle…..1200 lbs bars can’t do any more than that. You do not want to overload the front axle.

Question:

Do your 800 lb. bars still look the same as in your album pictures ??? Those bars look good.


Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
Even though we don't have much in the trailer, what if we move most of what's in the front compartment storage to the back of the trailer? Would that make the tongue weight lighter?
Maybe i shouod remove a propane tank? They are 30 lbs

That may help. I try to load my trailer heavy towards the rear. Removing a propane tanks which is around 55 lbs would help, but then you are making your camper less user friendly. Let's get a more accurate trailer tongue weight before doing something drastic.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
Brigitte
 
boubou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston
Posts: 725
The more I think about it, the more stuff I can think of moving to the back of the trailer. From what I've been reading, most people tend to load up front of tt for extra tongue weight. Well, I had all food, dishes, blankets, loaded upfront each side of the bed.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram 1500 HEMI with integrated brake controller, tow mirrors and Michelins LTX/AT2 275/65R20 max load: 3750 lbs. @ 80 psi but we keep them 50-55 psi
Superglide 2700
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
You can, and should, balance the trailer by moving your cargo around.

You will find that the "right" TW percentage will vary according to the loads in the truck and the trailer. Its good to experiment to find what works for you.

Moving cargo to the back may work but can cause problems if you lighten the tongue too much; possibly contributing to sway.

The TW needs to be 10-15% of the weight of the trailer (I weigh my tongue with a Sherline scale). 13% seems to work well for me when I have the family in the truck. I experimented with an 11% TW but it didn't feel right.

You also need to make sure that your load is balanced side-to-side and this can be measured at your local CAT station if you want to know exactly.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #16
Brigitte
 
boubou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy

By the added weight, do you mean that you added it on paper, or were the extra person, dogs, and gear added to the truck before the truck and trailer weigh-in ??? Adding the person and pets could contribute to the added weight on your front axle, and some to the rear axle. Depending on the size of person and dogs as well as the extra “bags”, that could skew the weights by a couple of hundred pound ( a 150 lb. person and 2, 75 lb. dogs is an extra 300 lbs !!!). So some of that extra 1000 lbs added to your truck which you think is tongue weight, could be possible passenger and cargo weight. If in fact you added 300 lbs., then that is an indication more of a 700 lb. tongue weight.

To do weigh-ins accurately, the same variables need to be incorporated. And if possible it is best to do it loaded for camping. All people, dogs, and cargo need to be in the same position during both weigh-ins get the most accurate figures.

I doubt that. Most trucks have much less GAWR on the front axle than the rear. The FAWR (front axle weight rating) should be listed on the driver’s door….a simple matter to look up.

With the incomplete information provided so far, I am still not convinced that you have 1000 lb. tongue weight.

Might want to wait until you get all of this sorted out. You are getting weight distributed to the front axle…..1200 lbs bars can’t do any more than that. You do not want to overload the front axle.

Question:

Do your 800 lb. bars still look the same as in your album pictures ??? Those bars look good.
Yes bars still look good but 'ill take a pic next time i hitch (tomorrow).
Yes, numbers on paper and yes, i'll go weigh in again properly
And yes, (i just checked) and front axle is 3900 like the back. Does it have to do because it's a 4x4?
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram 1500 HEMI with integrated brake controller, tow mirrors and Michelins LTX/AT2 275/65R20 max load: 3750 lbs. @ 80 psi but we keep them 50-55 psi
Superglide 2700
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #17
Brigitte
 
boubou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy
You can, and should, balance the trailer by moving your cargo around.

You will find that the "right" TW percentage will vary according to the loads in the truck and the trailer. Its good to experiment to find what works for you.

Moving cargo to the back may work but can cause problems if you lighten the tongue too much; possibly contributing to sway.

The TW needs to be 10-15% of the weight of the trailer (I weigh my tongue with a Sherline scale). 13% seems to work well for me when I have the family in the truck. I experimented with an 11% TW but it didn't feel right.

You also need to make sure that your load is balanced side-to-side and this can be measured at your local CAT station if you want to know exactly.
Plenty tongue weight here, too much tongue is the problem. Gotta go back on the scales.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram 1500 HEMI with integrated brake controller, tow mirrors and Michelins LTX/AT2 275/65R20 max load: 3750 lbs. @ 80 psi but we keep them 50-55 psi
Superglide 2700
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
Plenty tongue weight here, too much tongue is the problem. Gotta go back on the scales.
Yea. I'm just saying that, in our desire to "make" our numbers, we sometimes lighten up too much and this can make an unstable towing rig.

11% felt unstable to me with my rig. Maybe something that low works well for you, though.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Is this the floor plan of your trailer ??


Name:   Shasta.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  22.8 KB


Name:   Shasta Stats.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  36.4 KB
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
Why would you think the real tongue weight to be in the 1200 lbs? The dry tong weight is 750 so i figured that was from empty trailer which makes it 14% of 5400 lbs. So if I take 6000 lbs loaded trailer and multiply 14% that makes 840
Since you did not weigh the combination with and without the WD bars installed; I used the "with" weights to come up with the distributed tongue weight of 1000 pounds.

Sum of hitched truck axles less unhitched truck axles.

Dry weights do not mean diddly as you are finding out.

10% - 20% is the min/max range of tongue weight for a TT.

Lighter the tongue = more camper sway
Heavier the tongue = more truck nose travel while driving.

Below 10% is dynamically unsafe as are tongue loads over 20%

15% is considered "optimum" for TT handling. For the record; 5th wheels need heavier pin weights for stability as well. 15%-25% of camper weight should ride on the pin (pick up truck bed) with 20% optimum.
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.