Old 09-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #31
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
You don't need a new TT, you need a new TV! Or at least need to raise it's GVWR or reduce the load in it...some research on your truck and what options exist might help you. For example, I can change wheel size from 17 to 16 and pick up 500 lbs in capaicity...no, I don't know why but that's what the owners manual says.

You can also tweak the weight dist in your trailer with water -where is the fresh tank at? Mine's behind the TT axle and holds ~440lbs of water when full, and if I don't empty the gray/black I can add more weight behind the axles.
I cannot reduce it's load, there's nothing in there but 2 adults (not overweight and 2 small dogs.

my wheels are 20 inches. I know people say I can gain more weight capacity changing to 17 but if I look at dodge body builder, I will only gain 50 lbs in payload capacity.

The fresh water tank is right behind the axles, 50 gallons
that's a good tip

Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #32
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
I went with the Reese heavist bars for the dual cam system after asking the people at E-trailer.com

I'm getting some bobbing between trailer and truck but think its the height of my trailer ball. Perhaps not high enough?
I get this a bit too when driving on bumpy roads. No problem on smooth roads.
I think it's the bumps transfered from each wheels to the truck

Timbrens
Old 09-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #33
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
If you were off of the scales when you pushed the button, then you will need to add ~2/3 of your weight to the front axle, and 1/3 to the rear.

For the time being, we are going to leave you out of this, since you were not on the scales either time.
e.
DH says I'm taking this to extreme and to relax. Says it feels like I'm trying to load as if we're flying an airplane

To set the record straight, I was not on the scales when weighing the truck alone. I was sitting in the truck when weighing the truck and trailer together.
so add 2/3 of my weight to front axle, and 1/3 to rear...
for a grand total of??
that's crazy! how will I be able to bring a friend with us?
Timbrens
Old 09-27-2011, 01:36 AM   #34
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
3 shelties? You are brave!
Brave? Not the half of it - they're all males!

Appreciate your concerns re TW but suggest that your DH might be on to something relevant in this issue.

Also appreciate the numbers associated with your TV's capability i.e., GVWR but note that Dodge (Chrysler) has historically been conservative when specifying load capacities. I won't advocate running in excess of the vehicle's specified capacity but your excess in this case is not so excess as bring your safety into question.
)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #35
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Brave? Not the half of it - they're all males!
Do they also go deaf when they see a cat or a squirrel? mine (female) goes deaf and focuses ONLY on the critter lol

Quote:
Also appreciate the numbers associated with your TV's capability i.e., GVWR but note that Dodge (Chrysler) has historically been conservative when specifying load capacities.
Really? I didn't know that. I've been wondering why Dodge payload capacity is so much lower than say Ford. The suspension? is so, can I increase payload with airbags?

Quote:
I won't advocate running in excess of the vehicle's specified capacity but your excess in this case is not so excess as bring your safety into question.
I know, I know, most travel trailers on the road probably where hooked up at the RV dealer where they bought it from and are far from the numbers they need to be at. Except the lite tt. I wish I had bought a lite model, I wouldn't be worrying about all of this now.

Brigitte
Timbrens
Old 09-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Changing springs, wheels, final drives ratios, etc. will make a truck tow better (or worse depending on what is done), but nothing is going to change the GVWR.....that is set from the factory with the equipment that the vehicle is manufactured with.

Changing from 20 wheels to 17" wheels, or changing to a lower final drive ratio (higher number) will effectively make the vehicle tow stronger, but you would still be limited to the hitch capacity, frame and drive line stresses, and the ability for the engine and transmission to operate properly with the intended loads as it came off of the assembly line.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

boubou,
I know that it would be nice if we could increase out TVs tow ratings, and it can be done but at what cost? And, then you really need to get it re-certified, which is something I hear can be done through a few places around the country (although I've never met anyone who did). Maybe its hearsay.

Air bags are cosmetic when it comes to towing and really should only be used after you are able to properly match up your TV and trailer. They cannot be used to get you to the proper tow ratings.

Also, be careful about assuming Dodge is more conservative than others with their ratings. The ratings are the ratings and I, for one, wouldn't assume that the truck manufacturer has built in some leeway that I could take advantage of.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #38

with ford they run 4x4 and XTR4x4
the difference is the main king pins are heavier, the leaf springs are additional in count, the rear end is geared lower and the schocks are heavier.
Followed a guy hauling a heavy trailer loaded, his truck was loaded, the box was loaded up a hill.
At 10 miles an hour I pulled around when safe to do so with my Ecoboost and trailer and passed him.
He arrived at the same campground some 20 minutes later and his truck was almost cooked.
Don't mess with whats on your truck to go bigger. Get a bigger truck, lighter trailer or pack less crap.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #39
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Really? I didn't know that. I've been wondering why Dodge payload capacity is so much lower than say Ford. The suspension? is so, can I increase payload with airbags?
Air bags improve "ride" not payload. GVW is limited based on the FRAME and brake diameter. Axles are rated individually based on springs, housing, and hardware. Add both GARs (Gross Axle Ratings) on any truck and they will exceed the GVW.

The GVR is the maximum the truck can carry without reducing its useful life or causing damage. Slight overloads for short time frames will reduce the useful life of the truck; but may not break something right away.

A large over load once may not break something this time but the stress could make the useful life of the truck expire next week taking granny to church.

Like bending a paper clip the metal will fail; WHEN is the unknown.
Bending it "a little" will get you a lot of bends before it beaks. Bending it "a lot" will cause breakage in much less bends. Stress is cumulative and inevitable.

And Yes, you are loading it like an airplane.
Do it wrong and the outcome will be the same.
Smokin' Hole.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Reese hp dual cam wd/sway control hitch 800 lbs trunion bars
How do you mean adjust the hitch?
was my question as well. I think mine is sitting a bit too low. and a bit too upright with no weight on it. and perhaps the trunnion bars are a bit too downward pointed.