Old 07-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #11
Have a Solaire 269bhdsk. Slightly smaller than your TT. Towed 3 times w 2013 Ram 1500 and propride. No sway, but a very uncomfortable towing experience with lots of bouncing and rough ride. I added Timbrens with very minimal improvement. I then added airlift 1000 airbags also with very little improvement. I finally decided that for my personal preferences to get the type of towing experience I want I needed a different vehicle. Upgraded to a 2011 Ford f 250 with Powerstroke diesel and the difference is night and day. The Ford tows my travel trailer the same way my old SUV used to tow our pop-up. You really don't know it's there. Others may have different tolerances for what comfortable towing is but for me this is the level that I needed for this travel trailer.
The source of the problem in my opinion is the very soft rear coil springs on the newer Ram half ton trucks.
You can probably continue to improve the towing experience with your 1500 in very small increments but to make a significant change my opinion is moving to a three-quarter ton vehicle will help more than you could imagine.
Best of luck to you and safe travels

Brian, Stacy, and the girls (8 and 5)
2011 F-250 CCSB 6.7L PSD 4WD
2013 Solaire 269BHDSK
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #12
The topic of wheelbase has come up already.

As a point of reference I used to tow a 4,100 pound 20 foot Trailmanor, a hard sided folding TT. I started out towing with a Chevy 1500HD. This is a crew cab with a short bed. I subsequently upgraded to a GMC 2500HD. This is stiffer suspension and a crew cab long bed. A world of difference. Porpoising disappeared and the built in brake controller was so much better than the Prodigy.

When it comes to wheelbase, longer is better, even for relatively small trailers.

I did not need and did not use a WD hitch.

Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2013 Forest River Solera 24R
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote