Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 06-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #1

2" ball or 2 5/16" ????????

Does it matter which size ball we can use on our trailers? Right now I have a two inch ball on my TV and was wondering if I can go to a 2 5/16 ball. Is their such a thing as a 2 5/16th ball?

It looks like the bigger one will work but just wondering if it will. I am ordering the Equalizer unit from rvwholesalers tomorrow and would like to order their ball which is 2 5/16".

Thanks in advance.

MrSen.

Night's camped in 2010 36
MrSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #2

yes you need 2 5/16 ball the 2" is to small and unsafe don't tow with it.!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #3

Thanks budfans for the quick reply.

I was just wondering why they only had a 2 5/16 ball and not a 2". You just answered my question.

thanks again.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #4

budfans,

That's some good info on the tow ball. Having a 5'er and not ever having a TT I didn't know they had the 2 5/16" balls on them. Makes sense though. Great advise! This just shows another example of one RV'er helping another. RV'ers are some of the best most friendly and helpful folks out there (along with bikers).

Yes I said bikers because Mike, Bear, and I resemble that, just don't try to kill a biker on the road and they will help you out in times of need. Please double and tripple check your mirrors before that lane change.

greg
Old 06-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #5

Don't know why the comment was made that the 2" ball is unsafe. The 2" ball I have is rated at 8000 lbs: http://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/...id=97&parent=0

Some 2" balls are rated at 10,000 lbs

Got my Equalizer hitch from RVW as well, but it came with the 2" ball as that's what's used on my TT. The underjaw is not adjustable on my TT, so it will only accept this size.

Not all 2" balls are created equal...
Equalizer Hitch -w- 1000# bars
Yamaha EF2400iS generator
http://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #6

He is using this on a newer TT and a 2" ball is tooooooooo small thats how it's unsafe
Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #7

Well, I doubt his 2006 is much newer than my 2007 model Rockwood.

And as I stated, how is a 2" ball unsafe? Too small? 5/16" bigger is that much safer? What do you base this on? Size alone? So a 2000# rated 2" ball is the same strength as a 2" ball rated at 10,000#s? Silly Rockwood for putting that 2" hitch on my TT!

Rather go by a subjective comment, I'd suggest he take a look at his GVWR, then pick a ball with the proper weight rating. Think you'll find both of the ones I mentioned are well over his GVWR...

If the coupler on his new trailer is like the one on my new trailer, I'll be curious to see how he's going to make a larger ball fit. As I said, there's no adjustment on the underjaw, so only a 2" ball will fit unless the coupler is cut off, and a new one welded on.

He asked if it matters what size ball he can use on his trailer... and the answer is YES. A 2 5/16" won't fit on mine. Yours doesn't even have a ball, so I suspect that's why your answer differs from mine. On some trailers with an adjustable underjaw, such as my old Popup camper, I could tweak this:

But as usual, YMMV.
Equalizer Hitch -w- 1000# bars
Yamaha EF2400iS generator
http://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #8

Hmmmmm........ Now this is getting interesting. As I have a 5'er I know nothing about the coupler/ball size requirements of these particular travel trailers.

Maybe call the manufacturer for the coupler size? Like 2manytoyz states, that extra 5/16 may not fit. And there are 2" balls that can handle the weight. But.... if the coupler on that trailer is designed for a 2 5/16" ball (and I don't know) then a 2" ball would be unsafe as there would be some slop and it could come unhitched. Not likely but in extreme circumstances.. Again, I have no idea the coupler size of that trailer. All of our old farm trailers were either 2" ball or the military C-clamp style hitch that you stick the donut coupler into.. When I had my small pop-up it came with a 1 7/8" but I cut that coupler off and put a heavy-duty 2" Bulldog coupler (yep, overkill I know) on it when I modified the the front end extending it 3 feet.

I don't know. But that's what's great about this forum. We are open for discussion as long as we are civil about it.

So...... That being said. Let's continue this civil discourse and help MrSen out with getting the correct equipment for his application.

Thanks guys for your input. It is appreciated to have all views shared here.

greg
Old 06-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #9

2manytoyz,

The coupler on my 05 Roo25RS looks very similar to the pic’s you posted.

I never even thought about it, as I got my hitch (equalizer) from the dealer, and they had already installed the ball. This thread made me curious, so I checked, and that is a 2” ball.

A 2-5/16” ball won’t fit in my Roo coupler either (I just tried it…).
Old 06-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #10

ok, thanks guys.......I have the same coupler as 2manytoyz does and have been using a 2" ball........there is no way a 2 5/16th ball will fit on my trailer.

After calling rvwholesalers, they only offer the 2 5/16 ball because the 2" ball is on backorder and they don't expect to get any in for about a month.

Now, trying to look for a 2" ball with a 2 1/4" diameter and a 2 1/4" length that will fit the equalizer is hard. I must have went to 4 local hitch dealers and all had to special order it in. Finally the last dealer I went to had it in stock.

The 2" ball I received is rated for a max 7800lb's.

I can say I did learn a whole lot in a couple of days about hitches, couplers, weight's, diameters etc.

Thanks everyone for your help

MrSen